• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is no processing on spdif signal by the DAC module and the ES9018 chip support this sample frequency on spdif input:

44.1K, 48K, 32K, 22.05K, 24K, 88.2K, 96K, 176.4K, 192K

so check your sources manual.

Source USB allows the use with all the features of the chip ES9018 (PCM and DSD).

Do you ear too high output signal when the volume is at the minimun ?

Hi Audiodesign,

- All is perfect (except 192 Khz) with my DAC AD1865 SRPP DIY

I don't see the standard spdif 75ohm resistor on your DAC AD1865.

There is only a 1K5 instead of 75 ohm and your PE-65612NL transformer is a always 1:1.

Could you try to modify the input resistance on DAC module after the input transformer.

The standard is 75 ohm but your sources probably have no standard output.

Hi ildiray;!

So other buyers must be careful about this issue.[/QUOTE]

you an see again this image For the DAC Finis!

Attachments

• DAC-finis-Diy.jpg
    DAC-finis-Diy.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 387
Transformer grounding issues

Hello,
A few days ago I changed my setup a little: before I used my laptop for playback, now my PC.
With the laptop I didn't hear any buzz/noise from my speakers, but my laptop had to be connected to the amanero. Disconnected I had some buzz/noise.

Now with my PC I had also buzz/noise, if I disconnected one channel to my amp the buzz was gone, probably a ground loop issue.
Then I connected the PCB ground to the RCA ground output and my speakers are really dead dead silent, see the green wire in the picture.

For those with an output transformer this is something very simple to try out: put your ear next to the speaker and try with and without ground connected.
I am definitely going to install a switch that connects the PCB ground to the RCA ground.

Regards,
Danny

Attachments

• IMG_0353s.jpg
    IMG_0353s.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Try USB input

Yes, see how that works for you.
I have removed the v reg from the Amanero, and am using +3.3 from the dac to power the Amanero. I also made sure the Amanero has the latest CPLD and firmware in it.

I did a quick compare last night, and I think I prefer USB to Optical input.
Source in both cases was a macbook, so it may not have the best optical out to judge with.

Randy

This is without cabinet. Installed in cabinet you will get other result.

Yes I know, I've also been thinking about adding a RFI gasket around the es9018 IC.

But when I put everything in a case I'll add some switches:
- switch to connect PCB ground to earth ground through a ground loop breaker
- switch to connect PCB ground to RCA ground

This makes it easy to experiment if having grounding issues.

By the way: this DAC sounds fabulous ;)

Hello,
A few days ago I changed my setup a little: before I used my laptop for playback, now my PC.
With the laptop I didn't hear any buzz/noise from my speakers, but my laptop had to be connected to the amanero. Disconnected I had some buzz/noise.

Now with my PC I had also buzz/noise, if I disconnected one channel to my amp the buzz was gone, probably a ground loop issue.
Then I connected the PCB ground to the RCA ground output and my speakers are really dead dead silent, see the green wire in the picture.

For those with an output transformer this is something very simple to try out: put your ear next to the speaker and try with and without ground connected.
I am definitely going to install a switch that connects the PCB ground to the RCA ground.

Regards,
Danny

So that would be me, pretty sure we are the only two who have output trannys so far, of course the total user population is not too big.

I did notice something similar last night. Running my macbook, when I plugged it into the charger I could hear some faint buzzing noise in the background, but only with the charger plugged in. Without the charger, no noise.
I figured it was just some noise the charger was making, but when I had tried playing with the macbook charging with my zapfilter I did not hear this noise.

I'll try adding that ground, and see what happens.

Randy

Yes I know, I've also been thinking about adding a RFI gasket around the es9018 IC.

But when I put everything in a case I'll add some switches:
- switch to connect PCB ground to earth ground through a ground loop breaker
- switch to connect PCB ground to RCA ground

This makes it easy to experiment if having grounding issues.

By the way: this DAC sounds fabulous ;)

I've put all the DAC shield.
Material: Copper-Nickel-Zinc
alloy C7521

This is a gift for all of you!
it looks like this picture
Some days I'll get it, and I will send it to everyone. However, you have to pay shipping , about 5 to 10$ .

You do want it, please let me know! Thank you

Attachments

• DAC shield..jpg
    DAC shield..jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 367
I want to second that. I am very happy with the board you have produced and delivered. Still a lot to learn about the possibilities concerning the IV stage.

Andrea and I have perfected a design output for ES9018,

Operation mode for V-dac out to ensure optimal extraction with ES9018

In particular, it did not use feedback, and the mode is totally balanced.
Sounds very natural. I'm very happy about it, because the simple design.

Here are a few pictures of it, please wait for your

Attachments

• DCS-out1.jpg
    DCS-out1.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 383
  • DCS-out2.jpg
    DCS-out2.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 363
  • DCS-out3.jpg
    DCS-out3.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DCS-out--harmonic-Distortion.jpg
    DCS-out--harmonic-Distortion.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 347
  • DCS-out-THD+N.jpg
    DCS-out-THD+N.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.