DAC AK4499EX Project

Yes, at this moment, a quickly "ready-to-use"project maybe more meaningful and fun, since there are no manufactures can be this fast for a new chip.
Meanwhile, the OP is still hardworking on the really important things to improve the over-all performance.

A bad example of "over complexed jitter reduction solution"is topping d90(for which I have one). It has higher actually measured jitter than a common xmos solution while adopted such a complex design.
Topping used a cheap power supply solution and a bad PCB placement due to the overall cost and dimensional size limits.That's what the OP wants to avoid.

Last edited:
Have a Topping D90 here too. Problem with so-called 'measured jitter' if done with FFTs it that FFT skirts are widened in an FFT by two different sorts of problems. Only one of them involves jitter. Jitter is an error of timing. Vref power supply noise creates errors of amplitude. The two types of errors can be considered roughly equivalent so long as they are small enough. Probably best to keep in mind they are two different things though.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ah OK, I see, thanks. Yes the ADP7112 is not super low noise.
For a moment I thought you were discussing the D90SE, which has a very different implementation of the Vref. I have used, and plan to use, something similar to the D90SE, so I was just worried that I might have overlooked some problems with that approach.

It was first discussed here. Later e.g. here.
Not only so. Topping used a dc-dc switching circuit to generate 3.3v and 1v for powering the CPLD and xmos chip. The crystal for clock is powered by a cheap chip and even under EMI bombard by the transformer, rectifier diode, the dc-dc mentioned above.
Screenshot_2022-09-25-01-16-26-969-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Please tell me more about jitter issue.
Have a look at how Holo May DAC designer did it... Each frequency (45.158MHz and 49.152MHz) has two cristal oscillators in PLL; the "cheap" one and the expensive one (CVHD-957). That will give you clues on how to do it properly... and achieve excellent results.

Attachments

• phase-locked-loop-pll-fundamentals.pdf
    336.7 KB · Views: 430