DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

... I will benchmark the silver mica with a LCR styren tin foil 2% (Farnell) for the I/V cap . the resistor with one of the list in my list above in the thread (Vishay Precision group or radial 515? Rhopoint - not sure of the number : see RedBaron thread about I/V resistor and exact model - I personnaly use the axial 516G.

It harms not to try a C0G as I/V filter but ihmo it will sound sterile a little on the tin side... but if the system is on the thick or dark side. I don't now about the polystyren Xicon as I never tried this particular one... but if we speak of the // cap with the I/V R, it doesn't harm to go up to 1 nF imho. If you talk about the feedback cap of the oap, value is about the datasheet of the particular aop you chose not the BOM list. - & I don't like the math whatever simple formulas- C0G here why not, too bad there is no precise PPS at those low capacitance values... I do have yet silver mica with glass dielectric caps :)

Congrats to have chose the acrylics...
What are the brand & model of the blue polymer ? They are good more for the digital supply than the analog one imho...

There are good margins when it comes to tune the passive parts according what your whole system sounds .

Edit : on the analog side try to benchmark the polymer with one prototype with Pan FC 47 uF and/or 100 uF/35 V and for the competitor with Pan FR of same values and tell me ;)

The model of the polymer caps are United Chemi-Con:
661-APSF160E101MFA5S and 661-APSA100D470MFA5S

i will do another board with different caps...
so far the dac sounds very good! the sound is full and natural, easy to understand the instruments playing separated from each other.

regarding xicon polystyrene caps i have 1nf and 330 pf at home.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
good take about UNC, worked with the AFSA iirc : very good better than the nichicons polymer and the dull rubycon siblings with its flappy bass whatever the esr ! .

@ analog-sa : are you sure it is not an asynchronous reclock then just an isolator chip with a powersupply to power the clean side - that is not reclocked cause ndks are before - ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Sources and their power supplies are important for a good sound too

Ah, ok... so different from the USB to I2S Lucian's board. So I assume they don't sound the same. I remember the Lucian's Wave I/O from Luckit.biz sounded better from the uf-l outputt because the isolator chip introduced some jitter. I see also the JLSounds is at mark III board :up:.

ECdesigns make good streamer thouth it's not diy proce while stay reasonable in price. And Andrea Mori member(s) is going to launch a Fifo that compete with Iancanada and has pcm purpose as he used to love the tda1541A- so assume it perhaps have other pcm options as JLSounds board or Iancanada I2StoPCM.

SDcard readers while not very handy are said to be good as well but I2S : needs the delay network of the Miro1360's board :hphones:

Last edited:
@ analog-sa : are you sure it is not an asynchronous reclock then just an isolator chip with a powersupply to power the clean side - that is not reclocked cause ndks are before - ?

It's very easy to check out the documentation...

http://jlsounds.com/uploads/I2SoverUSB v.III.pdf

and the Mk III board is functionally the same as the Mk II, it just has a more powerful processor and some additional refinements

Hi,

I try to understand how to calculate the output impedance. In a previous post you said that you can set it with R10/R11 resistors. Could you explain me how to do the calculation please?
Which things I have to keep in consideration to set the right impedance? I mean, if I want to connect this DAC directly to a power amp I have to set a different impedance value if I will connect it to a preamplifier?

thanks