DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Vunce.. Just a stupid question. How did You separate the output of the onboard logic, when trying to drive from JLS?
It's strange to me that You can so simply change between logic / jls direct drive..

I'm not quite sure what you're asking s I'll make an assumption -with the JLSounds board you can set various configuration jumpers so that its onboard processor does the same thing as the PCB shift registers but then passing that output through the PCB shift register as well means it won't work, as Vunce found out. You just need to decide whether to use either the JLSounds board to produce output suitable for direct connection to the DAC chips (and bypass the PCB shift register - that's what I want to do) or to use the on-PCB shift register and output standard I2S from the JLSounds - not both.

Arrived today. Do you think is it original?

The text is not really white...

Attachments

• 1A35F926-46D4-41DD-8154-B07B89334BFB.jpg
    1A35F926-46D4-41DD-8154-B07B89334BFB.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 477
Joined 2014
Paid Member
@nautibuoy,
To clarify my earlier statement, I do not mean to disregard the JLS manual as to how to use it with an AD1862 dac chip. But, for this specific application it does not apply.

@Joseph K,
I didn’t change anything on the Dac board, I reconfigured jumpers on the JLS board by following their manual for I2S protocol. Voilà!! Music :p

@diyiggy,
I was using a Singxer C-1 module previously, the I2SoverUSB is an improvement! It has galvanic isolation and I’m feeding the oscillators and reclock from an external psu. Next, I will try feeding the USB section from an external psu also.
So, my hairs can stay where they belong now :rofl::rofl:
The parts arrived and I’m also making another set of my output stage boards with Susumu RS/RG resistors and Panasonic ECHU caps. Curious to see if there is a sound difference??

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Paf, I woke up as a monk... hairs at the top of the head fallen in the night :goodbad:

Ah the Singer had good input, glade the JLS is better. :checked:

You ears will tell for the caps, don't forgett to play with the main cap of the PS that feeds the JLsound on both side; again these two caps : Pan FC and basic Elna gives oposit result that help to choose with the character of your complete setup : I experienced that as well with fifo after ; (so isolator will benefice from he same experiment). local PPS caps were for me the icing on the cake ! Hop the hat..Cake - The Distance (Official Video) - YouTube

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I saw Audiophonics had the 1611 on dil adaptaer but with more transistor (x2 and caps underneath... Does it mean we have poor chance to play with fast oaps on dil8 adaptaor if they have not further area for decoupling ??? How to deal with a smd 0808 cap on a dil adaptator ??? where is the Ground : do we need to hack it from the main pcb with a wire to make the V pins caps to Gnd vey short and right at the V pins feets ???

I shorten the list : it will be the opa810 and also the opa1611 ; hesitate ith a Jfet like the ad4627-1 but imho it will be less cool than the opa1611 or a Cmos new gen in the I/V task !
opa861 : not the courage to print one, though if Vunce accept I can pay the stamps/package for two boards in simple letter US to CE if too much boards left :)

I'm also looking for a cool dip8 Bjt or Cmos,DiFet, but cheaper than 627 or 797... seems rarer & rarer case size than dip8 !

I have fear than those soic adaptaots will waste theextra quality of these good modern chips because of layout problems...

opa228/238 as AD8597/99 came also in mind but one can not test them all - well one cn but price and waste of non used ones is stoping me.

Hello my audio friends, i just powered up my ad1862 board. I used what i have in home. The values are as miros boom list.
The iv resistor is 1k because i have big gain in my amp.
The caps are polymer 100uf, 47uf , 4.7 uf is wima mks2, bypass 0.1uf are Panasonic echu.
Iv resistor is vishay blue ones, dont remember the name, and 47pf is silver mica. Trim components not used. Using jdlsounds i2s board.
Later i will try to use on other board the components sugested.
Did not use 22ohm on i2s lines as i did not have.
Sounds great! I like the sound and later i will compare to my other dacs. thanks Miro for sharing.
I am using lt1028 opamp. 20200801_124506.jpg 20200801_124511.jpg 20200801_142721.jpg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Nice work Pistollero!!
Let the listening experimentation begin :p

@Diyiggy,
I have those opa1611 modules with the transistors, cap and LED. I didn’t notice to much difference from the bare OPA1611. I didn’t give an extended comparison though.
Sure, I have spare OPA861 I/V boards I could mail you. But, they are 100% smd and the onboard TPS7A39 is tricky. Be sure you will build them ;)
PM me.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks Vunce, will send PM to you tomorrow and paypal you the fees, let see if less expensive than buying myself a bunch at JLPCB.... I'm looking for about the postal fees.

I'm very curious both about the opa810 and the 810 but I have no doubt the guys like Jocko Homo, Pedja Rogic knew what they made with such chips as the ad844, opa660 and the ate opa861.... buf is another story though and here it's a trade off - but further buffer board needed if headphones only-

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
... I will benchmark the silver mica with a LCR styren tin foil 2% (Farnell) for the I/V cap . the resistor with one of the list in my list above in the thread (Vishay Precision group or radial 515? Rhopoint - not sure of the number : see RedBaron thread about I/V resistor and exact model - I personnaly use the axial 516G.

It harms not to try a C0G as I/V filter but ihmo it will sound sterile a little on the tin side... but if the system is on the thick or dark side. I don't now about the polystyren Xicon as I never tried this particular one... but if we speak of the // cap with the I/V R, it doesn't harm to go up to 1 nF imho. If you talk about the feedback cap of the oap, value is about the datasheet of the particular aop you chose not the BOM list. - & I don't like the math whatever simple formulas- C0G here why not, too bad there is no precise PPS at those low capacitance values... I do have yet silver mica with glass dielectric caps :)

Congrats to have chose the acrylics...
What are the brand & model of the blue polymer ? They are good more for the digital supply than the analog one imho...

There are good margins when it comes to tune the passive parts according what your whole system sounds .

Edit : on the analog side try to benchmark the polymer with one prototype with Pan FC 47 uF and/or 100 uF/35 V and for the competitor with Pan FR of same values and tell me ;)

Last edited: