Da-capo issue (John W?)

Hi JohnW

Great to get a reply from "The Man", I've got many of your "works" on my HiFi Stand!

Yes, still old enough to have such a device and a turntable!

As soon as I get the time, I'll open it up, yes I'll be after a HDCD filter if anyone has one, 22 bit to, unless it has something of a surprise!

Andy

Yes take some internal pictures - we can then tell the condition of the PCB + what digital filter is fitted, HDCD or 22Bit are by far the best, I dont like the others...[/QUOTE]

Okay at long last, and it's been a very long time, it's eventually in my hands!

and here are the pictures before I remove the caps, the caps do look original, and I suspect there maybe some damage as I've not seen this on any other photos of PCBs, until I remove all the duff caps, it's not clear how extensive the damage is.

Attachments

• IMG_9610b.jpg
    IMG_9610b.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9611a.jpg
    IMG_9611a.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 98
Yeh that track needs fixing. Just scrape off the green either side of the black part of the track to expose new copper then cut the track either side of the crap to isolate the corrosion and bridge it with a bit of new solid core copper.

thanks for the reply, do you think capacitor leakage ? although I'm going to remove all the caps and replace anyway, or just age ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What is the brand and type? Typical Chinese throw away quality? Replace without thinking. Good quality stuff but old and has had heat? Replace without thinking. Device famous for cap failure? Replace without thinking.

Clean the board with isopropyl alcohol, put a wire on that PCB track. Pana FC, always OK ....

Last edited:
What is the brand and type? Typical Chinese throw away quality? Replace without thinking. Good quality stuff but old and has had heat? Replace without thinking. Device famous for cap failure? Replace without thinking.

Clean the board with isopropyl alcohol, put a wire on that PCB track. Pana FC, always OK ....

Yes, will remove all caps, clean the board, and replace.

Rubycon seem popular in this thread.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is not so much about the brand but about the series... Peugeot 106 was an excellent car while the more expensive 306 is nowhere to be seen on the roads anymore.

And psssst... don't tell this to anyone but eh... some of the series eh... are sold under various brand and series names.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You can use a Dremel with very small brush to remove the corrosion of the solder pads. They are plated through so please use one of those wooden toothpicks and turn a few times with IPA in the holes. Measure for continuity as sometimes corrosion makes the upper and bottom PCB track isolated! Pre-tin the now corrosion free pads at both sides while keeping a stainless steel pin in the hole (solder does not stick to that). Clean the board thoroughly to stop the process. Wear a mask!

Not hindered by any personal experience with these devices (their stellar reputation prevented that...) but what about the tantalums in these?

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just won myself a Da Capo with battery supply top from Germany on that infamous auction site. It comes with a 12 month warranty. It has no input card which the seller didn't mention on the ad. He said the item was serviced in 2016 and I have an old Ordinal with SPDIF and I am pretty sure the board is the same. Perhaps someone can confirm. Bit of a boozy purchase. Hope it will be ok.

I saw the very same listing, and did notice it was missing an input card and asked the seller, how it was tested and was told, he used an input card from another unit!!!

But when he supplied internal photos, which shows original caps, and I questioned the 12 months warranty, and at that price!

I was no longer interested.

I hope it works for you.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is the price excessive for a Dac and battery supply pair? I am out of touch.
It looks like my Ordinal has original caps and no sign of leakage. Do they all
leak at some point in time or was it certain periods of manufacture/caps used?
I don't suppose you could forward the photos assuming you still have them einsteinagogo? I could pm my email address.
Can anyone confirm the Ordinal/Da Capo input card compatibility?

Last edited: