Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Tuliman said:
Just finished my Needles and I'm a little confused. They don't sound as good as I expected - I'm doing something wrong I'm sure.

They are not 100% finished, so one side panel was only taped in place; the driver is not flush mount and I didn't use anything yet to prevent difractions, its directly fixed with screws on the panel; the driver cutout is in an angle but not that obvious - 75-80 degrees....

The dampening is what worries me the most, I think I might have used too much. I bought a blanket-shaped synthetic, 3-4 cm thick, cut a 20cm wide and folded it in 2. Its 2-3 cm longer than the inner wall, it reaches just behing the driver. The dampening feels a little cramped and I don't know how compact it should be??!!

I don't know how much the connectors influence the sound, I placed them 5-6 cm from the bottom. They are screw types.

The sound is decent, not boomy or other obvious aberrations, but there are not enough low frec (I'm comparing to another fullrange loudspeaker who is supposed to go down to 80Hz), weak and there is no sparkle, no live in it - I know this is not the best description .... :D

I have respected the dimensions to the last mm.

Where did I go wrong?

I have reviewed once more the previous postings and the way I filled is very close to this one:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1234768&stamp=1182040857

The synthetic looks very simmilar and also the amount used - I might have used just a little more than that.

Re: Other driver

Theon said:
I'm thinking of building Needles with the new Vifa 9 BGS 119/8 or Vifa 10 BG 120-06. Anyone suggestions... Bernt... are you there? :rolleyes:
that's what I am building... I have the plywood and the Vifa 9 BGS 119/8 ready.. now find some time and fix my measuring set so I can devellop the notch filter...

I simulated the driver in Martin's Mathcad sheets, and the low end looks promissing.. and with 20% more Sd and a lot more Xmax than the Tangband should sound a lot better, more dynamic.

later I intend to have a Needle shootout, I already have a pair with the Omnes BB3.01, a pair with the Tangband W3-871S. And also "in progress" is a pair with the new Tangband Ti driver W3-1285SG. (no, my wife does not know yet that there will be 4 pair Needles soon, but then she did not ask why I bought the plywood :D )

Re: Re: Other driver

Henkjan said:

later I intend to have a Needle shootout, I already have a pair with the Omnes BB3.01, a pair with the Tangband W3-871S. And also "in progress" is a pair with the new Tangband Ti driver W3-1285SG. (no, my wife does not know yet that there will be 4 pair Needles soon, but then she did not ask why I bought the plywood :D )

would be very interested in your results with the shootout. better watch your step though... Your wife may be catching on.

gychang

Re: Re: Other driver

Henkjan said:

now find some time and fix my measuring set so I can devellop the notch filter...

I guess it will be ok to use the notchfilter of the picoline 2, the baffles have the same width... I intend to use 18mm MDF for the Needle so it is a bit wider then the original design.
Notch for the picolino 2 = C=15 uF R=3,3Ohm L=0,33mH 1,4mm.

hello,

i do apologize for coming into this thread extremely late :rolleyes:

ive been sittin on a set of these speakers for over a year now and just now have decided to dive into the h/t scene. been into car audio for quite some time but havent dabbled into h/t stuff until now.

pix of unfinished cabinets can be found here: http://icixsound.com/vb/icixnation.php?do=view&id=163&catid=584
intend to hopefully find some black stain tomorrow after work and then clearcoat them after that.

thoughts:
extremely impressed with how well they sound. running them without the notch filter and off a couple yr old kenwood HTiB reciever. played with them for about 3hrs tonight having them 5ft apart angled in a little and me sitting about 6ft away. i read though all the pages in this thread so i kind of knew what to expect out of them but i was still really surprised at how well they sounded and loud they got.

really appreciate the plans for these.

question: i understand that people in here have said that having no notch filter and having it is quite noticeable, but say i wanted to add a highpass filter in too? what would that take for components and what would be a good xover pt?

i do have a good amount of knowledge for car audio but as far as technical stuff like figure box designs from ts parameters and designing xovers, im a noob. i do plan on upping my knowledge soon by building a amp and the obvious browsing this forum.

thanks for ur time.

Very nice build A 114M4 .
You seem to have used very good quality and dimensions of material!

Re. notch filter: Most of us find the W3-871s a little stressful to listen to without it, and the sound much more relaxed with it installed.

A high-pass filter to supplement with a sub for the lower range should be possible, but for that purpose i would probably have used just a sealed box for the W3-871s.

SveinB.

anything ever happen with this idea? Anyone ever implement it?

newneedle.jpg

Just showing off my Needles(See atachment), build them with the Tangband w3-315SC the notch filter is kept outside the speaker.

The speakers sound very nice and detailed. You really can hear it's been made from brushed aluminium. Without the notch filter they're a bit harsh.

I've kept to the origional design, and added a chamber underneath for sandfilling. Painted them white (my first white speakers!). Actually I painted them black first, but I didn't like the color: white's more elegant.

Attachments

• 100_8036.jpg
    100_8036.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,611
hpolkerman said:
Just showing off my Needles(See atachment), build them with the Tangband w3-315SC the notch filter is kept outside the speaker.

The speakers sound very nice and detailed. You really can hear it's been made from brushed aluminium. Without the notch filter they're a bit harsh.

white's more elegant.

very nice proportions.

gychang