Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

Lost in speaker space

Sorry to sound like a complete noob, as I am a noob...

TB has so many variants of the W3-xxx speaker. Also noticed Zaph using a HiVi B3S and he likes it better then the AURA NS3. He also had good things to say about the W3-1364S and the Dayton RS90. Yet alot of you guys are using different versions of the TB W3-xxx. I'm lost here.

Considering I don't mind adding any required filters, which driver is best suited for a full range? Any comments?

Re: Lost in speaker space

peter_m said:

TB has so many variants of the W3-xxx speaker. Also noticed Zaph using a HiVi B3S and he likes it better then the AURA NS3. He also had good things to say about the W3-1364S and the Dayton RS90. Yet alot of you guys are using different versions of the TB W3-xxx. I'm lost here.

Considering I don't mind adding any required filters, which driver is best suited for a full range? Any comments?

excellent question, guess it has to do with all the thiel numbers etc. I like to try particularly

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-810

since I like the looks of the speaker, I am not sure how it would sound in the needles. Anyone?

gychang

So I "finished" these a while ago (still need to make the bases, but my table saw is currently occupied by about a hundred thousand glass cupboard doors that are all set up on sheets and such), but I forgot to post the picture here.

I used the Tang Band W3-593SF drivers with no notch filter. They look and sound great. I suppose I'd be disappointed if I was trying to annoy my neighbours with pounding bass lines, but since I'm not doing that at all, I find these cabinets provide plenty of high-quality deep bass.

Most of the surfaces are fairly smooth and even glossy, aside from the top where a bit of dust settled and dried into the paint, and I'd run through my two cans of spray paint, so I couldn't re-sand and re-spray it.

Anyway, point is, great project. Pretty easy for a first-timer, and something that I really enjoyed doing, not to mention the fact that I've got a great pair of speakers now.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Elfer said:

I used the Tang Band W3-593SF drivers with no notch filter. They look and sound great. I suppose I'd be disappointed if I was trying to annoy my neighbours with pounding bass lines, but since I'm not doing that at all, I find these cabinets provide plenty of high-quality deep bass.

Anyway, point is, great project. Pretty easy for a first-timer, and something that I really enjoyed doing, not to mention the fact that I've got a great pair of speakers now.

speakers.jpg

no notch filter, do u hear any problem at all?, I have only built 2 needles with notch filters using W3-871S speakers, they sound supreme...

gychang

peter_m said:

I wondered about the same thing. About the only conclusion I came to was that the HiVi driver wasn't suited to the Needle build. The HiVi driver has distortion issues with frequencies below 100Hz according to Zaph, and the Needle cabinet boosts frequencies down to ?40Hz in-room. AFAIK, the bass with the HiVi drivers in the Needles will be boomy: frequencies below 100Hz distort and you end up with unwanted output at double the sub-100Hz frequencies.

AFAIK, the Aura driver will be better suited. IIRC, it has a bit stronger bass than the W3-871s.

Check the TABAQ thread here on diyaudio for some more hints on 3" Tang-Band drivers.

I will soon be trying the Vifa 9 BGS 119/8 in the Needle, I expect a lot from these. Bass should be better than with the Tangbands (bit more Sd, a lot more Xmax), and the overall sound of the Vifa full range should be great. I will have to devellop an notch filter for it, so it might take a while before I can post the 1st results (my measuring equipment not functioning right now)

Henkjan said:
I will soon be trying the Vifa 9 BGS 119/8 in the Needle, I expect a lot from these. Bass should be better than with the Tangbands (bit more Sd, a lot more Xmax), and the overall sound of the Vifa full range should be great. I will have to devellop an notch filter for it, so it might take a while before I can post the 1st results (my measuring equipment not functioning right now)

will be looking forward to your build. gychang

gychang said:

no notch filter, do u hear any problem at all?, I have only built 2 needles with notch filters using W3-871S speakers, they sound supreme...

gychang

I didn't have the components for the notch filter on hand, so I've got no basis for a comparison. As far as I can tell, they sound pretty good, but if I do get the parts for the notch filter later, I'll try it out and tell you guys which sounds better.

I haven't heard the BS3s, so I can't really compare myself, but I'm currently using these as computer speakers, and I don't need a sub. The bass response is quite surprising once you hear it.

As a side note, if you do build the needles, I'd recommend not putting any damping directly behind the driver itself, but just filling to the top of the angled board. I found that when I tested both, the speaker without damping behind the driver was able to produce significantly more bass than the one with the damping

Henkjan said:
I will soon be trying the Vifa 9 BGS 119/8 in the Needle, I expect a lot from these.

Did these work out for you? Interested.

abcheng said:
How does the W3-593SFs in the needle enclosure compare to Zaph's B3S design? I'm thinking about using one of these designs as computer speakers for everyday use, hopefully without needing a sub.

I think Zaph's design is explicitly designed to be mated with a subwoofer, with Zaph even liking the crossover at 150Hz upwards.

My Needles

A week ago I knew nothing about DIY speakers, but my 15 year old Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II sub/sat system had just succumbed to foam surround rot and so I started doing some homework on replacements. A few hours later I had discover diyAudio.com and Cyburg's Needles. A couple of orders from PartsExpress and many trips to my home center later, here are the fruits of my labors.

needles_1.jpg

Vielen Dank, Berndt