Cube Audio drivers?

I’m not radical enthousiast. In fact I’m always on the lookout of improving things but out of about 12 drivers of which various Lowthers, Lii-audio, Voxativ, Visaton, Seas, Markaudio and various vintage drivers I have used as widerange midrange the Phy’s are the ones that have caused me zero listening fatigue, despite their shortcomings. But that still does not hold me back to try other drivers. If you have any recommendations that are above in class I would be happy to hear about it.

Sjef,
I can offer excellent 12" SWR 300/A SONIDO full range speakers.

Attachments

• SWR 300A box.JPG
    SWR 300A box.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 118
Never heared the PHY's myself, but when i look at the availeble data, their drivers are also not something i would use.
Relatively traditional type wideband with Q & Vas at the upper end of medium by current parlance; they're mostly set up for large baffles, open-back or sealed boxes etc., so if you want something else you'll either need a very big (again by current parlance) cabinet & accept the limited power handling, or look elsewhere. Supravox are similar in that, although presumably their field-coil versions give the option of more electrical damping if desired. IIRC PHY used to wind their coils for them.

site is still up and says still operational: http://www.phy-hp.com/

I would contact them direct as it seems these days they mainly sell direct from site. But i know a guy in Belgium (not on diyaudio) that recently (a year ago or so) bought drivers from them and he was very happy with what he got. But call or mail them before to be sure.
Hi Waxx,

I stand corrected. Impressive that they have not adjusted their prices since 2015...

All the best

Mattes

IIRC that was one of PHY's own designs. Which was fairly rubbish. ;)

Since they state almost all their drivers have a Qt of 0.59 (couple of exceptions only) they are by definition mostly suited to baffles & sealed cabinets -possibly a TL or vented if it's large enough, which most are not.
Do you have an acoustic suspension closed box plan for H21LB15 + TW37 and what would a closed box for PHY H21LB15 + TW37 look like H x W x D, also F3?

I don't, but I can look into it.

Well, I say 'look' because I got up about 90mins ago with a dose of conjunctivitis (both eyes, no less) so I'm staggering about like a tarsier until I can get some suitable eye drops from the local witch doctor. ;) So apologies; might be a bit down on screen time today while they kick in.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Do you have an acoustic suspension closed box plan for H21LB15 + TW37 and what would a closed box for PHY H21LB15 + TW37 look like H x W x D, also F3?
Don’t put them in boxes, seriously don’t do it. And especially not in acoustic suspension boxes and most certainly not in small boxes. There are far cheaper drivers out there that perform much better in boxes. The Phy’s scream for open baffle.
Hi Waxx,

I stand corrected. Impressive that they have not adjusted their prices since 2015...

All the best

Mattes
Well, unfortunatly they only haven’t updated their website. Prices went up by a big margin I’m afraid and price/quality ratio dropped accordingly
IMG_1053.png

Don’t put them in boxes, seriously don’t do it. And especially not in acoustic suspension boxes and most certainly not in small boxes.
Nothing wrong with acoustic suspension -although it depends what's meant by it. Assuming we're following Villchur as far as feasible though, since we can't alter the driver spec. then assuming
  • The minimal data is accurate [just assuming, without prejudice]
  • A modestly damped box with minimal leakage
  • 1/2ohm series R for typical wire, connection losses
...an acoustic suspension box would be about 95 litres, Fb about 63.5Hz if we target an Fc 1.41xFs. System Q is mildly peaking in the low 0.8 region depending on specific losses, damping. I don't see any reason to anticipate anything other than you would reasonably expect from that, and if you did, it would be either because the published data is wrong, the conditions changed (e.g. a change in amplifier output impedance) or the implementation was inept (poor choice of dimensions, inadequate construction, badly damped etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user