Crossover tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could also remove the jumpers and connect the tweeter -ve to the woofer +ve (and vice versa with jumper wires to test whether inverting the phase fixes the issue!

The metal jumpers (arrowed) MUST be removed. Also as a santity check I'd make sure that with the jumpers removed that there is no continuity between the HF and LF +ve terminals, and similary with the -ve terminals. Any short will likely blow the output stage of your amp.

Certainly it looks like the speakers were configured to be able to be bi-wired.

Tony.

Thanks for this suggestion. I did it this way and checked for continuity with multimeter between the HF and LF +ve terminals. They are shorted out. I had removed the copper jumpers as u suggested. I think i have no choice but to open up the speaker.

From that measurement in the original post were not just looking at a reverse polarity connection there is a complete lack of high frequency energy. If all of the hardware was operating properly I'd have assumed this was near field with the mic on axis with the woofer.

If this is 1 meter away on the tweeter axis then something really isn't right. If the tweeter are working properly then there is definitely wrong with the hardware set up or software settings.

There shouldn't be!! But if the tweeter is incorrectly wired, then perhaps some other errors, hence the check :) Just don't want to suggest something that results in a blown up amplifier!

Tony.

This is how i wired the jumper wires.
speaker%20jumper%20rewire.jpg

With a multimeter I tested both the red HF and LF terminals. Continuity test shows that they are connected and has a 4 ohm resistance. The same is true for the black HF and LF terminals. Now I am just scratching my head as to what I have done wrong. Continuity testing all the terminals shows that each and everyone of it is connected to each other.

This is how i wired the jumper wires.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

With a multimeter I tested both the red HF and LF terminals. Continuity test shows that they are connected and has a 4 ohm resistance. The same is true for the black HF and LF terminals. Now I am just scratching my head as to what I have done wrong. Continuity testing all the terminals shows that each and everyone of it is connected to each other.

how come you reversed the polarity on the woofer too ?

try this,

positive to positive ( woofer )
Negative to Negative ( woofer )

Positive to Negative ( tweeter )
Negative to Positive ( tweeter )

No measure :)

Since you are already using REW, try measuring the impedance of the speaker system using an impedance zig. This will probably throw more information about the crossover too for any wrong component insertioWiring etc. Also the impedance phase can reveal lot of information.

The speaker appears to be the Mission M71 model and this is stated to have an average sensitivity of 88db for one watt at one meter.If your mic measurement is accurate then there is a problem with the speakers which could be caused by incorrect xover wiring or a faulty component.An impedance curve is often useful in cases like this as it can show up failures such as shorted turns in a voice coil that a visual inspection could miss.

If it hold M71 is the model here link to "stereophile" review and measurement Mission m71 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com.

Honestly bit curious what's the cause :radar:.

Attachments

• Mission_M71.png
    Mission_M71.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 133
I have opened up the speaker to take a look at the crossover. I have also tried tracing the parts to make an initial sketch of the schematic. Those blue capacitors in the pictures are they polarized electrolytic capacitors ? I modelled all the caps as bipolar. My electronics knowledge is kinda of rusty and had to use google to decode those values. I can't find out the values for all of the inductors.

crossover%20components.jpg

Blue%20capacitors.jpg

woofer%20mission.jpg

tweeter%20mission.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I have opened up the speaker can I just switch the connectors at the tweeter without doing anything to the crossover ? I am just afraid that the capacitor might be polarised one. Coz i have had bad experience with exploding polarized capacitors when i wired them wrongly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.