• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Had a bit of an accident today. Won't bother you with details but the result was two destroyed Placids. An old one and a new HD... Oh well... one detail then: I had them out to check and something heavy fell on it. It was not my fault and the person who did cause the accident is still alive.

Switched to the DIYINK 5 V supply.
I managed to remove the connector on the Amanero without any damage.
So everything is playing again. On 192 that is. Still distortion on 384.

Russ, you asked me to check supply sag. When the Placid for BIIISE was still in place I measured the the output of the Placid without BIIISE attached. It w s a bit low so I turned it up to about 600mV. When I connected BIIISE it dropped considerably. (If I recall correct something like 190mV). Is that what you meant?

Also ordered the UFL cables today. When checking the UFL connectors on my BIIISE I noticed my soldering skills were not that great. (I actually improved them over the years ;) ) Could that cause the problem it won't play at 384?

Hmm few observations:

1) The 1.7V reading at idle seems quite high - you may want to double check that. 1.7V is way too much for the chip to handle safely.
2) The 1.08V reading is definitely low (sign that the trident is starved for current) - You can add 27-35R at R4 on that trident to give it more current. (any 1/4W metal film type will work fine)
3) Also make sure the VD supply to the B3SE and the supply to the Cronus don't dip below 5V when 384khz music is playing.

:) Just ordered a new Placid to replace the crushed one :(

Been listening with the DIYINK PSU connected to Cronus and BIIISE. There is a difference between this PSU and the Placid so I won't comment about sound to much but my first impressions are: a bigger soundstage and more detail. So far I'm really happy! :)

:) Just ordered a new Placid to replace the crushed one :(

Been listening with the DIYINK PSU connected to Cronus and BIIISE. There is a difference between this PSU and the Placid so I won't comment about sound to much but my first impressions are: a bigger soundstage and more detail. So far I'm really happy! :)

Any chance of posting a photo of the resistor you have installed it may solve an issue I've had.

Sure... This solved -my- problem.

Attachments

• Resistor Trident.jpg
    Resistor Trident.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 473
Well, everything is working as advertised! :) When I started using my WaveIO I first used it USB bus powered. Later I used a separate PSU for the WaveIO which gave a nice improvement. Amanero is also bus powered, is there any benefit in powering Amanero with a separate PSU? Anyone tried?

Last edited: