• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

CRC Power Supply (Class A amplifier)

sthcoaster-2 nos. paid, shipped
MartinJaeger- 2 nos. paid, to be shipped on thursday
Amadeus00- 2 nos. paid, to be shipped on thursday
theoracle- ??nos.
Mituisho - 2 nos. booked, paid, to be shipped with 2 nos.baby huey's
Mravinsky - 4nos to be shipped with 4 nos. baby huey's
Hicoco- 2 nos, paid, to be shipped on thursday

22 remaining

MartinJaeger- 2 nos. paid, shipped
Amadeus00- 2 nos. paid, shipped
theoracle- 4 nos., paid, will ship tomorrow
Hicoco- 2 nos, paid, shipped

18 remaining

MartinJaeger- 2 nos. paid, shipped
Amadeus00- 2 nos. paid, shipped
theoracle- 4 nos., paid, shipped
Hicoco- 2 nos, paid, shipped
Oracle1-2 nos. paid, shipped

TS Lo - 2nos to be shipped with 2 nos. baby huey's

14 remaining

Hello Prasi, i need some help with the calculations. I am going to use the crc power supply with Saan’s PeeCeeBee 4hs. ( 2x40v 300w transformer for each channel). About R2/R’2 etc?
Please help
Thank you in advance

Hello Oracle,
I see that Shaan's PEECEEBEE V4H can deliver about 250W into 4 ohms.
This implies about 8 amps RMS current demand from the amplifier operating at full power.
With this, R2, the CRC resistor (if using a value of 0.1 to 0.15 ohms) needs to be atleast 10 watts rating. If you have no plans to operate the amp at full power all the time, you can use lower power rating for R2.

However, I would suggest you to use 3 nos. of R2 (5 W rating) with a value of 0.33-0.47 ohms piggy backed on top of each other. This would ensure peace of mind and won't result in heating of R2 very much.

Note that at full power(max current demand conditions) , using CRC will lead to a voltage drop of around 1.2V across R2.

Regards
Prasi

Hi prasi,
i will received my CRC power supply PCB soon, i wondering how do you find the value of R2/R2' et R4/R4'? in the BoM you posted we have to enter the value, they are not calculated. Thanks

Higher value of R2 will provide more ripple attenuation at the cost of lower headroom (lesser output voltage)and more dissipation in R2. you have to decide the value of R2.

R4 is a bleeder resistor that decides how fast the caps will get discharged after power off. Again you have to decide the value. here is a RC time constant calculator.

Resistor-Capacitor (RC) Time Constant Calculator | DigiKey Electronics

The calculation given in bom for all three resistors R2, R4, R-led help one to determine the power rating to be used.

Remember that this is a universal design. values you use will depend upon your supply voltage, current demand from amplifier and parts available in your parts bin.

regards
Prasi

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello Oracle,
I see that Shaan's PEECEEBEE V4H can deliver about 250W into 4 ohms.
This implies about 8 amps RMS current demand from the amplifier operating at full power.
With this, R2, the CRC resistor (if using a value of 0.1 to 0.15 ohms) needs to be atleast 10 watts rating. If you have no plans to operate the amp at full power all the time, you can use lower power rating for R2.

However, I would suggest you to use 3 nos. of R2 (5 W rating) with a value of 0.33-0.47 ohms piggy backed on top of each other. This would ensure peace of mind and won't result in heating of R2 very much.

Note that at full power(max current demand conditions) , using CRC will lead to a voltage drop of around 1.2V across R2.

Regards
Prasi
Hi Prasi,

I'm just trying to understand and I hope I do not bother you with that.
Why do you recommend using a value of 0.1 to 0.15 ohms for R2 in this example ?
Thanks

Hello Hicoco,
If you use higher values in a 250W power amp, the power dissipation and voltage drop across R2, will increase tremendously. Following text gives the example.

R2,ohm..... Power,W ..... Del V R2
0.1 ..... 6.1 ..... 0.8
0.15 ..... 9.1 ..... 1.2
0.22 ..... 13.3 ..... 1.7
0.33 ..... 20.0 ..... 2.6
0.47 ..... 28.4 ..... 3.7

Last edited: