Convert 2-way speaker to full range driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Years ago I owned Omega Speaker Systems speakers with Tang Band full range drivers that I liked. Today I have a pair of regular 2 way speakers in box enclosures with bass ports. I was thinking of converting these to a full range driver speaker if possible. I thought I could use a 6.5” full range driver to replace the woofer, bypassing the crossover and tweeter. Will this work? Thanks.

you can always close/stuff the port if it does not suit the fullrange

The question as to enclosure volume remains, and not all FR drivers are necessarily suited to - or give their best performance in - sealed enclosures. If this is the OP’s first foray into single driver speakers, it’d be unfortunate to hobble him/her with a generalization that could be bad advice for a specific model.

The ports will almost certainly need adjusting. Can you measure the exact dimensions of the existing ports? For that matter, were the measurements you provided outside dimensions?

In a 14 L cabinet, a 2 inch port, 5 inches long would give an F3 around 55 according to Bassbox.

The question as to enclosure volume remains, and not all FR drivers are necessarily suited to - or give their best performance in - sealed enclosures. If this is the OP’s first foray into single driver speakers, it’d be unfortunate to hobble him/her with a generalization that could be bad advice for a specific model.

It could restrict the bass performance, anything else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.