Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

Hi all,

Build a Planar 8th for Oberton 18XB1500 driver. I Did some little sound testing yesterday evening.

First thing I noticed is that HR prediction of diaphragm displacement is a bit off. On the power rating about 80 volts @ 8 ohm I had given the woofer. The cone should have moved considerably, yet it barely moved a few millimeters.

I did some a/b testing compared to a xoc TH18. To my ears the planar had more punch, a little lower an louder. Some of it thanks to its huge size. 185x58x90cm (l x w x d). However... the xocTH18 sounds 'warmer'.

If I have the time and the weather allows it I will do some outside measurements.

View attachment 671065

Awesome looking build!

What's the actual ohm load of the speaker? I use Re to get Eg.

I'm started playing around with FLH like the design below but with different expansion, will share the results soon for comparison.

Altec 816

Mr Sansui, you can use the same constant CSA quarterwave resonator section at the rear of the driver (our main lower tuned QW path) ....... ... This is what separates this cabinet from the original Altec cabinet design which used a Helmholtz (chamber and ML port based) resonance ..... .

The Altec 816 is a Helmholtz assisted FLH ........ Our Super Planar design which resembles an Altec on the outside will operate like a Compound Loaded Quarterwave cabinet .. .

If you wanted to get fancy and increase the performance even further you could add some expansion to the main path (LF tuned path) and make it longer to compensate for the shift in tuning .... This will produce more output , but the cabinet will also need to be larger especially when you consider that the front chamber size will now have to be increased (made larger or longer) in this case, for the resonances to line up properly ..... If size isn't an issue then this is a very high performance option :) This arrangement is a Compound Horn ..

MMJ,

The simulation is indicating some additional group delay for the Super Planar Top compared to a BR, any of you colleagues that build this design experienced any issue related? they made specific test or listening to check this specific characteristic?

Sansui,
There hasn't been any reported problems related to group delay on the tops, but to be fair i have to say that nobody has yet measured the group delay on them either ....... The people who have built them tell me that they love the sound :up: .. . Those have all been the 2x12 cabinets though, which is different than the 1x10" you have been working on lately ...

:bulb:How many of those ESX310 drivers do you have Sansui? Have you considered a 2x10" cabinet design? (one 2x10" for each side of your system) ...... We could just scale down the 2x12" design for your 10s :checked:

:bulb:How many of those ESX310 drivers do you have Sansui? Have you considered a 2x10" cabinet design? (one 2x10" for each side of your system) ...... We could just scale down the 2x12" design for your 10s :checked:

I have 2 ESX310 and 2 ESX410, the last one there is not T/S specified. The declared difference is the program power being 300W and 400W respectively.

I like the idea to use one driver per cab, so I can stack more cabs or less as I want. Cabs with two driver increases size and you must carry both everywhere.

I have 2 ESX310 and 2 ESX410, the last one there is not T/S specified. The declared difference is the program power being 300W and 400W respectively.

I like the idea to use one driver per cab, so I can stack more cabs or less as I want. Cabs with two driver increases size and you must carry both everywhere.

I just thought i should ask because the dual driver set up on the toed-in crossfiring baffle would be an answer to some of the potential challenges we are seeing with the 1x10" Super Planar top .. ....

We could try the exercise. Would 2 driver at the same box give more output than 2 drivers at two separate boxes?

Found a good results with a FLH with port inside the horn but the group delay looks strange at tunned frequency.

10" top design - Open discussion

Sansui,
The exercise has already been done for us because 2x12" Super Planar top cabinets have already been built and they work well with sufficient dispersion in the horizontal plane, so it is safe to say that a 2x10" with the same layout should also work ....

If it is built with enough internal volume with proper path lengths and CSAs in the right range then the 2x10" Super Planar should be every bit as efficient as two 1x10" cabinets ..... I can model it if you like :) The split-path symmetrical layout has been most popular ..

I just thought i should ask because the dual driver set up on the toed-in crossfiring baffle would be an answer to some of the potential challenges we are seeing with the 1x10" Super Planar top .. ....
Unfortunately, the center to center distance of a dual driver set up on a toed-in cross-firing baffle will put a huge "suck-out" hole in the off axis upper response as you can see circled in the example below with a 2x6" with around a 20 degree cross-fire.
The off-axis path length difference between the two drivers causes the cancellation.
Doubling the driver size to 12" would drop the "suck-out" hole an octave, a 2x10" would have the deepest null centered around 1kHz.

Cheers,
Art

Attachments

• Off Axis Suck-out.png
    Off Axis Suck-out.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 407
If i remember correctly i think Sansui said his upper extension goal is 1000hz .....

The guys that built the 2x12 cabinets have been using them up to 800hz and 1000hz with results that sound great to their ears , they are satisfied ... Still waiting on serious measurements though .... I would like to see measurements on-axis and also off-axis horizontally ................ I fully expect some dips and peaks here and there along with some lobing in the polars, so not perfect by any means but at least we know for a fact that the output is useful and sounds good to the listener :nod:..

So, flat response? Highly doubtful.... but useful response? yes :checked:

One guy (our friend Jason in New York) had a complaint about how the midrange coming out of the 12s has more horizontal dispersion than the 45 degree horn he was using on his compression driver , hehehe........... He used a 30 degree toe-in angle on the baffles of that build with about 12" from the front of the cabinet to the apex of the baffles (to give you an idea about how much the driver's are recessed) .......When he walks too far off-axis he loses the sound from the compression driver but he says the midrange sound coming from the 12" woofers still remains very present .. ............He might have to rethink his compression driver horn or waveguide to get a better match on his coverage.......

I think i posted some of Jason's build pics here a while back ..... I can find the post again if anyone wants to see it ...

Last edited:

Right on Sansui :) good idea, it really would be helpful to have that sort of flexibility when it comes to modeling various shapes of resonator (rear vented chamber in Hornesp or a variation of it as you suggest).......I should also add that it would be nice to have the ability to model it as an oblong or rectangular shape (from the perspective of facing it straight on) like what we see on the Super Planar 2x12 tops (or 2x10s using the same sort of layout) .. .....

Last edited: