Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

That might be difficult to do, ...

If not impossible :)

... as I'm using an earlier version of the Hornresp data file for import purposes as I couldn't get the workbook to work with the later version of the import file.

The Boxplan export file (ID=29.00) is different to the standard Hornresp export file in that it does not include any filter data. The Lossy Le flag uses a filter field that became spare when the separate low pass and high pass active filters were removed from Hornresp (because the band pass filter already covered them both).

Procedure:

1. Import the initial exported Boxplan file into Hornresp.
2. Open the Loudspeaker Wizard.
3. Tick the Lossy Le check box.
4. Adjust Boxplan and export the updated data.
5. Press F6 to update the Loudspeaker Wizard with the new Boxplan data.

The Lossy Le flag will remain set.

That might be difficult to do, as I'm using an earlier version of the Hornresp data file for import purposes as I couldn't get the workbook to work with the later version of the import file. However, once enabled in Hornresp, re-importing the Boxplan-created file shouldn't reset the "Lossy Le" option under Loudspeaker Wizard, so you can take the same approach I do with stuffing the horn (stuffing is also not included in the Boxplan export) - do a preliminary import, then under Loudspeaker Wizard set Lossy Le (and stuffing, if you're going to use that), tweak the layout in Boxplan and then use F6 to update Hornresp's Loudspeaker Wizard with newer versions of the Boxplan-created import files.

Hi Brian,

Further to my Post #763, after thinking about it some more last night, if considered warranted a Lossy Le flag could be added by setting "Le=" to "Le1=" in your Boxplan export file. With a few extra lines of code, Hornresp could then check for Le (lossy inductance off) or Le1 (lossy inductance on) when the file is imported.

I have attached a modified Boxplan xls file with a "Lossy Le" toggle button and associated macro added to illustrate one possible way that it could be done, together with a couple of (hopefully) self-explanatory screenprints.

What do you think - would it be worth implementing this feature?

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• boxplan-splanar1.zip
    69.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 452
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 449
What do you think - would it be worth implementing this feature?

Certainly - I've already included it in the v0.4 beta version of the workbook.

This weekend I'll see if I have some time to add on the "Guidelines" section of the workbook. This will tell the user where to draw the guidelines on one of the side panels to ensure that the internal panels are positioned correctly. This method is a lot easier to follow than trying to measure funky angles, etc.

I've already included it in the v0.4 beta version of the workbook.

If the Le1 flag is set in Boxplan and the exported file then imported into the current release or earlier versions of Hornresp, the Input Parameters screen will show the inductance input box label as "Le1" rather than "Le" for the duration of the current session. The lossy inductance flag will not be automatically set. The next time that Hornresp is opened the label will revert to "Le".

When the next Hornresp update is released, if a Boxplan file with Le1 is imported, the Input Parameters screen will show "Le" in red and the lossy inductance flag will be automatically set.

Here is a build photo from J Vansickle of Paragon Concept in North Carolina... This is a pair of the Super Planar 8th compound horn subs such as featured in Brian's Boxplan excel program .... So glad to see that the "Lossy Le" function will be included .... Thank you once again Brian and David!:)

These are to be loaded with the B&C 18DS115 driver

Super_Planar_8th_HORN_SUBWOOFER_pair_18_DS115.jpg

Four of these will be set on their ends at the nightclub and used as platforms for the tops... They needed to be taller so these are scaled up slightly from the 56" version (using the same layout)........ The Super Planar 8th design allows for this sort of flexibility :D You can inflate them and they just get more efficient or gain extension (depending on how you do it) , to a point .....

Judging by the sheer brutality from my comparably small and weak ROAR12 with a B&C 12PS100 - I guess those Super Planar Compound Horns will be absolute monsters, and he is going to be running two per side?!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

I feel pity for the poor bastards coming too close to those things. They have no idea what kind of spl that lurks inside those large cross section resonators....

My single ROAR12 could in many ways outperform two B&C 18TBX100 in bass reflex cabs. Four B&C 18DS115......... :eek:

:D This will be legendary!!! :D

Judging by the sheer brutality from my comparably small and weak ROAR12 with a B&C 12PS100 - I guess those Super Planar Compound Horns will be absolute monsters, and he is going to be running two per side?!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

Yessir , two per side :D

I feel pity for the poor bastards coming too close to those things. They have no idea what kind of spl that lurks inside those large cross section resonators....

My single ROAR12 could in many ways outperform two B&C 18TBX100 in bass reflex cabs. Four B&C 18DS115......... :eek:

:D This will be legendary!!! :D

Right? and yes, hehehe that is the idea ..... Legendary :happy2:

The owner of the danceclub said that he wanted bass-range SPL of 140db or more on the dance floor, so we designed a system capable of that even though we know he won't be running it at those levels ;) .... This just means there will be a lot of headroom, which is good :)

Right

I think it needs more bracing in the mouth

USRFobiwan,

You are correct :) He plans to install the bracing in the mouth of the high-tuned resonator .... Says he has come up with a system to make them removable .......

He might be waiting on the drivers to be delivered (Parts Express has been taking their sweet time on getting the 4 ohm 18DS115 drivers to him):snail: .....

He has started to build the third cabinet:smash:, and hopefully by the time he is done with all 4 the drivers will have arrived ..

PARAFLEX FOLDS UPDATE

I made some refinements and additions to the list of Paraflex folds ........ I will probably update this again in the future but here is where we are at with it for the moment :)

Barnaby's iPAL 18 Paraflex Pro cabinet is built and installed (with dual iPAL 18s) and has exceeded our expectations!! A great success for sure! Dustin Morgan from Flex Tech designs will be posting the updates on that project here very soon :D

PARAFLEX_FOLDS.png

New builder friend

We have a builder friend in New York by the name of Jason Geban who just crafted a set of Super Planar tops in a configuration familiar to us (based on our sketches and build photos) ... ...

He typically builds for a crowd that prefers stack style splayed cluster arrays ..... So we are already working on some trapezoidal tower designs that utilize the Super Planar compound loading for the kickbin (low mid) section ....

In the meantime, out of curiosity, he built a set of these

Super_Planar_horn_tops_by_Jason_Early_build_1.jpg

Super_Planar_horn_tops_by_Jason_Early_build_2.jpg

Super_Planar_horn_tops_by_Jason_LATE_build_3.jpg

Super_Planar_horn_tops_by_Jason_LATE_build_5.jpg

Super_Planar_HORN_tops_Late_build_Photo_-_Lovely.jpg

Into these cabinets Jason loaded up some old spare 12" PA drivers that he had laying around (one was a B&C) and he says he absolutely loves the way the midbass sounds on these cabinets:happy2: so he is excited to try this type of loading in other types of cabinets ....

He is ordering some new 12" Pa drivers to install into this set of Super Planar tops and he will be playing them out around town soon to see if he can generate some interest ..... He is a DJ as well as a builder .. :).

He wanted to build these tops as 3-ways and we mentioned that there was an experimental low cost 16ohm midrange compression driver that he could try out ...... He ordered them ...... They are sold by PE as a 70v (distributed sound) compression driver but you can remove the giant metal can from the rear and then disconnect the 70v transformer and you are left with a seemingly robust midrange compression driver .... He is using his from 800hz to 3khz and he says that he really likes the sound that they produce :D (he hasn't tried them outdoors at full power yet, but that should be taking place soon enough)

Dayton_Midhorn_driver-_16_ohm-_-_rear_can_case_removed.jpg

Here is the link to this driver :
Dayton Audio D1075T

Last edited: