Comparing "Good" SMT Capacitors - C0G vs. PMMA (Acrylic) vs. PPS

That particular example probably tombstoned because the oven heated the board and part unevenly. The footprint probably isn't helping, either.

I've seen designs with 0201 components half on a solid ground plane and there is no tombstoning, but that's with a professional reflow oven. It can be tricky.

Last edited:
Looks like the capacitors for C16 & C12 are too small for the pad size. The causation is typically the thermal mass interactions by the component pads and track geometry pulling the capacitor to one end as the solder paste starts to flow. It can be fixed by either using the correct size capacitors or by changing the pad sizes. You can get the same effect with inadequate thermal reliefs for components that connect to a ground plane (aka Tombstoning). You can see Q11 is also slightly off centre due to dissimilar connecting track sizes.
Thanks Indiglo. Found this on YT.

what is it that is keeping NP0/c0g from being available in larger values? is it simply a matter of physics?or lack of demand?

probably limited by physics - those multilayer caps have stresses from materials mismatch etc. maybe they are too fragile when too large and competing technologies become more attractive at larger values in terms of price/performance.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
NPO/C0G are so good because they use thicker dielectric. That makes them (much) larger, physically.

The reason that X5R etc is so bad is because the dielectric is so thin that you get effects or mechanical deformation with high field strength and voltage coefficient. That makes them so small physically ;-)

All plain physics.

Jan

It is physics. The dielectric constant of MLCC dieelectrica is several orders higher enabling big capacitance value with tiny caps

Indeed, specifically the high value MLCC capacitors use ferroelectric dielectrics like barium titanate and its relatives, where the lattice geometry changes as the charge builds up - this makes them microphonic, non-linear and highly temperature sensitive.

These materials can have dielectric constants 100's to 1000's of times more than normal materials - hence large capacitance in small volume.

Barium titanate - Wikipedia

As I suspected, so its bumping up against a physical barrier that cannot be miniaturized by a more modern process.

Many thanks for fleshing out the detail everyone! For the most part I try to design so I dont need high value filter caps (signal) anyway, but occasionally I wish for a c0g that is 10-100nf at 0603