Commercial complete Gainclone kit for a beginner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And, now I find out.

The reason that there's no complete beginners gainclone kits is because of the mains wiring, because of conflicting safety standards, and because someone who isn't already comfortable with the wiring, probably shouldn't do it.

In order to avoid liabilities, typical presentations are limited to dropping a few hints and never the entire picture.

I have dropped sufficient hints for some people. For others, please refer to the carlosfm circa 2004 power supply threads, if you want further information on power supplies.

For yet more information, refer to the power supply section of diyaudio.com.

My apologies that I wasn't able to make a complete power supply demonstration, due to liability issues about international safety standards conflicts. After being informed that the mandatory safety for most of the U.K. could kill someone in Spain. . . Its too much! I quit! Further projects are cancelled.

In fact, I totally give up. My home has a sufficient amount of hifi, and I'm putting the soldering irons away.

MJL21193 said:
Who will I pick on if you go? Stick around Daniel. Sounds like you are finally learning some stuff.

My curiosity got too much after only 2 days.

Can you double-check me on the following thoughts?. . .

So, almost done, but was going slow on the power supply thread until there was an impasse. A nightmare scenerio was given whereby conflicts seemly couldn't be resolved.

That wasn't true. In testing, I hooked the earth ground to the groundloop breaker / safety disconnect module, and that to to "power star ground" (makes contact with the center tap of a center tap transformer).

Next, I try--really really try to haywire the thing. The power supply never misbehaved. So, I take it that the transformer accomplishes isolation (there's no direct connection between the input and output of the transformer). Isn't that right?

The only shock I got was 2 days ago when someone mentioned "attorney."

I learned more! That is, I learned that the mysterious people who claim trouble with earth grounding their chassis / power star ground, would have already been killed by their refridgerators, clothes washers, ovens, etc. . .
Since those people, are neither typing, nor soldering anything, the ordeal couldn't have been related to electronics.

What do you think?

Maybe I can make a: "How I built my own personal power supply" thread that doesn't give any advice whatsoever?

Hi Daniel..

I'm a newbie here... just a DIYer that has just started the learning process at the age of 38 and has been following various valuable posts during my encounters with this wonderful site.. including yours...

Fully understood that there are people that "might have different opinions.." but as a DIY myself I fully understand that it will be my own risk if I tried one of the schematic posted in this forum..

So please hang around!!

Withbestregards,
Dino

PS:
And I personally believe that the words of "Do It Yourself" carries one's personal risk exposure.. hehehe.. Probably we'll start to put any disclaimer in after we post anything here? e.g. by putting statement:
"DIYer discretion is greatly advised! Use the schematic/advise/post at your own risk"

Dino-Indo said:
Hi Daniel..
Fully understood that there are people that "might have different opinions.." but as a DIY myself I fully understand that it will be my own risk if I tried one of the schematic posted in this forum..

So please hang around!!

Withbestregards,
Dino

PS:
And I personally believe that the words of "Do It Yourself" carries one's personal risk exposure.. hehehe.. Probably we'll start to put any disclaimer in after we post anything here? e.g. by putting statement:
"DIYer discretion is greatly advised! Use the schematic/advise/post at your own risk"
i agree with u friend..... it's my own risk

danielwritesbac said:
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I really appreciate it! :D

I'm still trying to figure out how give a presentation on the nice easy power supply, without the liability issue. This needs to be as safe as possible for everyone, and that also includes me. So, I'll work on that.
gracias, good job

wayne 77 said:
Daniel,

can you please tell us how old you are?

Thanks,

W

Thirty-Six as of this month.

That might explain some of my audio tastes. Most tube amplifiers were still functional (and popular) when I was young, most solid-state was marketed as almost as good as a tube amp, and I did work in development of hifi audio. This possibly explains the tastes for the clear, laid-back, and euphonic mids from tube amps, Tripath and the LM1875. Now that I'm older, I do appreciate the more powerful bass of today's popular prosound audio. Having never found an available combination of the two, then, one day, not long ago, it seemed a good idea to make it myself. . .

That worked very well, but sharing it happened to be an unexpected adventure, because I'm not accostomed to public writings. This is quite the education. So, as of thirty-six, I'm not bored. ;) Thank you.

sneih said:
i agree with u friend..... it's my own risk
gracias, good job

I'll bet you'd like to see this schematic (click attached photo).

This, I made on plain phenolic perfboard (no copper pads in the way). The three wires, in mine, are 16ga or 18ga. They run straight, which is why the caps are in the zigzag layout. I used flux for easy soldering. I made this power supply for my chipamp projects.

My favorite chipamp projects are LM1875, both textbook and "hi-ref" style, as well as TDA7294 in bridged or "hi-ref" styles. And, this power supply schematic has been working quite well for my use of it.

The bridge rectifier shown at the right side of the schematic is an ordinary plastic model that has all of the connections labeled--stamped or printed onto the plastic shell. Models that I have used for this start with names, such as the square KBPC10. . . and the "fork shaped" KBU10. . . both indicating a 10 amper model.

This file is for the purpose of education in reading a power supply schematic, and doesn't represent advice or direction of any sort.

Attachments

• ladderback schematic.jpg
    ladderback schematic.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 648
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.