Coaxial Questions

This is what I did - I took the drivers and the port placement from xrk's Trynergy design, but then built a horn based on bwaslo's SynergyCalc spreadsheet. Lots of miter cuts, but you can build them out of foam core as well :)

They're definitely the closest thing to headphones I've heard, but it was a fiddly project to build. Duct tape makes a great 'strange angle clamp' :)

they are very cool and i am sure i would like the sound, but i do not longer like to build enclosures, even less so with complex shapes, i think i have become to old

my dream project therefor is to build a plain rectangular box with a pair of very good coaxial drivers and then have my fun playing with the crossover :)

they are very cool and i am sure i would like the sound, but i do not longer like to build enclosures, even less so with complex shapes, i think i have become to old

my dream project therefor is to build a plain rectangular box with a pair of very good coaxial drivers and then have my fun playing with the crossover :)

Haha, that's fair - those Synergy Horns mean you have to choose both a fair amount of woodwork, AND DSP configurations :)

I think I'm going for the other option where I'd rather spend a bit of time building a speaker that I can plug into anything anywhere, and it sounds great without any DSP work required. I think I'm trying to save myself from my own impatience or lack of attention :D

Which 12" (or 10") Coaxial driver can You recomend? Coaxial will be play with Dayton RSS390HF-4 as bas driver. Active crossover and DSP by Hypex FA503 amp. I want to try point source inspirated by DynamiKKs Monitor 12.18 (two modules construction: Bass + Coaxial).

My first choice list is:
BMS 12C382
FaitalPRO 12HX230

Maybe:
Beyma 12XA30Nd
Radian 5212B (with aluminium DIAPHRAGM, Beryllium is too expensive)

Something else?

Just based on a careful look at lots of data sheets, I would second your vote for the Faital Pro. The Radian Audio 12" ribbon coax is also worth a look. I don't think you can be sure of your choice until you get your hands on one and try it out. A lot depends on how well the top end can be smoothed out with equalization and how well that equalization holds up over the listening window.

Just based on a careful look at lots of data sheets, I would second your vote for the Faital Pro. The Radian Audio 12" ribbon coax is also worth a look. I don't think you can be sure of your choice until you get your hands on one and try it out. A lot depends on how well the top end can be smoothed out with equalization and how well that equalization holds up over the listening window.

This is the most tricky part: I have no comparison :)
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/vortex-12-ports.htmlThe Vortex 12 is back in stock and selling at clearance.
Isn't it Eminence kl3012cx made for Denovo? It can be match with any 1" CD with 1 3/8" male thread.

Radian 12CRF6430 looking great :)
Radian 5212 seams to be one of great choice too (HF driver can be crossover arround 1KHz and works up to 30KHz)
I'm afraid that Vortex-12 is't shipping to Europe...
There is a quite promising FaitalPRO HX240 but a bit pricy

Last edited:
I am slow as molasses, but I finally have gotten around to the finish on the cabinets. I had to steel wool and thinner the first finish off, then re sand and start over. This version is three coats of oil based primer, then three coats of harvest gold semi gloss latex, followed by oil based walnut gel stain faux finish. They became a big art project. I have them drying so that I can finish them with either semi gloss poly, or shellac. Getting closer. Glenn.

Attachments

• 20221127_190401.jpg
    20221127_190401.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 50
  • 20221127_190343.jpg
    20221127_190343.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221128_093320.jpg
    20221128_093320.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 4 users