Coaxial drivers for ultimate speaker?

By the way, a lot of measures of KEF Q300:

[German] Hifi-Selbstbau - KEF Q300

Case Opening - KEF Q300

I discovered that he has an arm inside. Maybe my KEF Q100 too.

URL]

yes, the kef uses 6db slopes...
Any ideas / opinions ?

For example high pass of Q100 is acoustically LR2, though it could be electrically 1st order with single cap. Low pass is just bad. It should be 2nd order to work properly. HP slope forces to invert polarity.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
yes, the kef uses 6db slopes.
Also for me 6dB low-pass xover is part of the ultimate speaker design on top of point source/coaxials. And additionally with DSP I can LP cut the mid steep at 10kHz - that is no as "devastating" as having a 2-nd order LP. The FR flatness is by far not the most important thing for audio quality perception (IMO obviously ..)

Eminence Beta 8 / ASD 1001

I have been very happy with Eminence Beta 8 & ASD1001. Get about 18 dB null with polarity on tweeter reversed, so in phase. Flat impedance curve. Respectable FR curve. Good sensitivity and dynamics.

Attachments

• BETA8S3FAMILY.JPG
    BETA8S3FAMILY.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 741
  • BETA8S3BASELINE.JPG
    BETA8S3BASELINE.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 754
Love this thread... Happen to have a pair of what I consider the ultimate Hi-Fi coax... The P-Audio 18CX. I so want to do a seal box and ported configuration for this driver. Have designed and demonstrated a couple of OB versions. Quite interesting.

Getting ready for the Lone Star Audio Fest coming up in Dallas the first weekend in May.... but once I am back... will work on getting this wonderful driver doing the best it can in some sort of reasonably sized box, but remember, we are talking about a 98.5 DB/Watt 18" woofer section.

How would the home audio coaxials such as the new tang band or eminence compare with something like these. I think these have a build in crossover and cast frame and are decent.

Infinity Kappa 62ix 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

I think the thing with the homes is that they can orient around performance that much more- they place the tweeter diaphragm such that it's near the apex of the cone. The car audio mounting makes more sense in some respects (cone motion will not impact tweeter performance as much) but basically gives a worst-case interference pattern for the tweeter.

One "ideal" is for a nearly stationary midrange, coupled extremely smoothly to a tweeter that uses the midrange as a waveguide, as it matches the dispersion patterns. This effective waveguiding can be done with a longer throat (pro style rear coax mounting) which achieves a deeper throat and pushes the loading a little lower in frequency, or with a more "homefi" approach of the diaphragm mounted right near the cone apex.

There are other methods for sure, but for home hifi, the "forward" mounted tweeter isn't generally considered a good design choice.