Coaxial drivers for ultimate speaker?

If the BSC of LS50 is ok, how can Atkinson's in-room measurement be so lean on bass and even midrange?

I don't know how speakers were located, but lean bass is fully expected if small bass reflex speaker with rear port is located on stand at 70...120 cm from front wall. In addition, BSC of LS50 is quite irrelevant due to high humps at low treble. Evaluation of BSC is much easier and makes some sense e.g. with my Q100 which has smoother frequency response up to mid treble, and magnitude of front port signal does not depend so much on measurement distance.

I don't know how speakers were located,...

This way Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Three Page 8 | Stereophile.com

He doesn't tell the exact location of the speaker though. In photographs we can see them in typical "hifi-location" almost 1m away from front wall, on a pole/stand. Avarage of 120 measurements with different standardized mic locations. Sometimes he publishes measurements at someone else's room.

This is the in-room response that Atkinson calls "typical"

Attachments

• Lsfig35.jpg
    Lsfig35.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 606
^120 measurement points won't help if speaker position is not compatible with mechanical construction and sound balancing. Results of different speakers could be comparable but still worthless for people who can hear and are able to make proper listening setup. I suppose decent and valuable speaker measurements must be done someone else than stereophile also in the future.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with coaxial drivers for diy. Sorry about OT.

I am using 8 inch tannoys coax actives since almost 10 years now. I like what they do but technically i see two major issues with all coax's:
1) The tweeter assembly is tightly coupled to the bass/mid frame and when one knows the kind of microscopic displacements a tweeter does at high frequencies i would like to see a measurement of what goes fed trough the tweeter voice coil when driving just the bass? on my tannoys there is a large blob of some putty between tweeter rear plate and a cross brace maybe to try and mitigate this effect, not sure how effective that is. At least there's something.

2) Of course of having the waveguide/cone moving and modulating the highs will also be an issue, some mitigate this by using even "large" 12 inches only from 170 Hz or so upwards to reduce this- the smaller the cone, the greater the displacement

+ termination shape of bass suspension to basket is likely to be critical, just like termination of a horn/waveguide.

To me the next breakthrough in coaxials would be addressing point 1.

Here is my Q100, less than two years old. Agree that high frequencies are damaged due to too simple crossover. Sound is also a bit boxy due to thin and light side walls, but otherwise it is quite balanced. This kind of coax constructions have high IM distortion which makes sound fuzzy. Have to be 3- or 4-way to get clean sound. The same issue with Seas coaxs.

I have a cheap tweaked KEF Q100. I could not dismantle the speaker so I did not change the wiring and, above all, I could not add viscoelastic (Tecsound SY-70, I am very satisfied with this material that I have used in several cases) to the walls. I have been thinking for a while about adding side panels, which should have rounded edges for better aesthetics.

[PDF, Spanish] Tecsound SY measurements at third page

What improvements do you propose to solve Q100 limitations?

By the way, these speaker measurements encouraged me to buy the speakers:
Kef Q100 Speaker Drive Unit Testing
Kef LS50 Drive Unit

Last edited:
Stereophile's Atkinson talks with Jack Oclee-Brown of KEF. They have voiced the new Qx50 series and the Wireless LS50 differently from previous models, which suffered from too much "clarity" and lean bass (seen in in-room measurements and verified by my listening experience).
YouTube

In the linked discussion it becomes obvious that KEF have both developed the mechanics and xo of UniQ still further again in Qx50 series. There are different cone materials and motors in different versions or series - LS, Q, R, Reference, Blade, Muon - and two sizes of cones, 130 and 165mm

Cenelec uses MDC coaxials only in 83series three-way speakers, to minimize the intermodulation issues. Minimum Diffraction Coaxial (MDC™) Driver Technology | Genelec.com

ps. I have happily listened to SEAS T18 coaxial 2-ways in my HT room for over 5 years now! Haku - Hifitalo[1].pdf

Last edited:
As a tribute to Genelec i can attest that I've never found their two way with waveguide (1031A) wanting in soundstage compared to the 8" tannoy coaxes. Would love to hear their coaxes with waveguide.

They cross it highish 470 Hz. I really beleive that wathever the size of your coax make it 3 way, or at minimum 2.1 with H/pass on coax. On this forum there is a gentleman from UK using 12" tannoy x-over at somewhere 170/200 i can't remember his name right now

Last edited:
The coaxial crown is fixed very strong in my boxes and I gave up trying to remove it for fear of damaging it.

Yesterday I came up with a brilliant idea, well, do something that I already did when I experimented first with very cheap speakers, in 2011. At the end I put Tecsound SY70 also on the outside. After putting sealer and two coats of acrylic black paint that material looks like leather.

[Spanish] HUM: mejoramiento con Tecsound SY 70 y fibra de vidrio de unas cajas de musica II | Nauscopio Scipiorum

Being careful and finishing it well the edges can be spectacular. Being black, photographs do not do justice. And cheap camara too.

I had reduced the bass-reflex diameter with paper (hidden thanks to the grid) -> more clean bass. After my cheap tweaks I have more bass than the originals -> I do not need a subwoofer with my musics (classical, baroque, jazz...).

Last edited:
Days ago in others forums where I have a thread I post some links about coaxials after read this review (I was searching a coaxial with high sensitivity to the DIY class A 20 watts ALPHA).

Review: The Coherent Model 8 – A Speaker For (Real) Life | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Impedance: 8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 95dB/w/m
Power: 4 to 225 Watts RMS
Response: 40Hz to 20KHz, +/- 3dB
Coherent Speakers from Canada | Audiogon Discussion Forum

Coherent Sound from Frank Fazzalari

https://www.klusster.com/portfolios/daniel-mances-portfolio/contents/546

[ The basic requirements were fulfilled by the American made Radian Co-axial drivers. However, this was only the the starting point. The Radian driver undergoes extensive modifications by Coherent Audio and is matched to a special crossover designed and built by Coherent. The crossover is based on totally new design principles and incorporates special coils which are also built by Coherent… ]

https://radianaudio.com/product-category/components/coaxial-loudspeakers/

-> Radian 5215B Coaxial Speaker

https://radianaudio.com/products/5215b/

[copyright material deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
That Radian 5215B's off-axis response doesn't look nice. Big problems between 1-5kHz!

What? There's a -2db relaxed dip from ca 1,3 to 2,2khz at -30 degrees. Granted there is a -6db dip at 1,3khz 45 degrees off axis, but for the most part it is much better than that.

Can you point to measurements of another comparable driver that does better? At 45 degrees off axis?