CM6631A + ES9023 cheap board - modification...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
modification board 2

Hi

upper side:

as wrote above i sent you the 2mods of the 2nd board. its using more smd components, and different crystals, sligthly different traces= eg.g near the cm6631A there is a smd solder pad "RX"...? the cables are too long ;) but its a test if it fits where the phone jack is...

Attachments

• CM6631A_ES9023_board2_1.jpg
    CM6631A_ES9023_board2_1.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 219
  • CM6631A_ES9023_board2_2.jpg
    CM6631A_ES9023_board2_2.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 208
  • CM6631A_ES9023_board2_3.jpg
    CM6631A_ES9023_board2_3.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 203
  • CM6631A_ES9023_board2_4.jpg
    CM6631A_ES9023_board2_4.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 221
buttom side board2

one pic of the buttom side of the pcb.
as i wrote its better to use a "bigger" smd 130KR resistor:D, 0603 is too small

for the XO decoupling its better to use 0805 smd size i guess

next time i repot about the sound comparison of board 1(3,3v and phillips caps at outl+r) and board 2 (3,6V with wima fkp2) the rest is the same..green muse and small caps...

chris

Attachments

• CM6631A_ES9023_board2_buttom pcb.jpg
    CM6631A_ES9023_board2_buttom pcb.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 186
Good morning
Hi FF

next step....
my plan is to use the micro USB port (right beside the usb - b) as "separate power supply" for the ES9023! i plan to cut these traces and solder there the input of the mic5205 and use a power pack which i use for powering my Topping D50. in future linear power supply with fine clear 5V:D

board 2 is running in....
btw... at board 2 the C17 cap was missing:rolleyes::rolleyes: - i use it from my damaged board...470nF

chris

first sound check board 2.3,6V

Hi

the board is today 16 hours run in, and yesterday about 8 hours. in between some pause about some minutes= total 2 hours if i change to the other board or to the D50.

since 4 hours i compare and i can say- WOW !.....this DAC needs just some seconds to let the first board behind. never the less i did 3 time listening x check between this 2 boards. the board 2 /3,6V is really sounding like a different/better/bigger DAC. for me unbelievable that 0,3V more power and an extra regulator do sooo much :cool:

D50:
the comparison with the topping D50 is still ongoing but i can say the unmodded D50 has no chance...yes i know this sounds really "subjective" but as i wrote page before the general sound of the ES9023 is really fine- now its fantastic for me.

what is better?
the D50 is still good in sound stage but the unpricise "s" , "th" are really markable worse then the Es9023 board 2. this gets ofter 30minutes "stressy"

additionally to this is that the board 2 can make some subsonic/holographic better--> i mean the singer or the piano has now "legs"- this give me a very impressive sound

lets made this week some test more

chris

Last edited:
Hi
the board is today 16 hours run in, and yesterday about 8 hours. in between some pause about some minutes= total 2 hours if i change to the other board or to the D50.
since 4 hours i compare and i can say- WOW !.....this DAC needs just some seconds to let the first board behind. never the less i did 3 time listening x check between this 2 boards. the board 2 /3,6V is really sounding like a different/better/bigger DAC. for me unbelievable that 0,3V more power and an extra regulator do sooo much :cool:
D50:
the comparison with the topping D50 is still ongoing but i can say the unmodded D50 has no chance...yes i know this sounds really "subjective" but as i wrote page before the general sound of the ES9023 is really fine- now its fantastic for me.
what is better?
the D50 is still good in sound stage but the unpricise "s" , "th" are really markable worse then the Es9023 board 2. this gets ofter 30minutes "stressy"
additionally to this is that the board 2 can make some subsonic/holographic better--> i mean the singer or the piano has now "legs"- this give me a very impressive sound
lets made this week some test more
chris

Hi Chris, very interesting results.
I understand that in your (experienced) opinion a 3.6V modified CM6631+ES9023 board sounds better than a standard Topping D50 with a 32bit ES9038+ DAC. The D50 cost more than 200 Eur, the CM6631+ES9023 board around 25 Eur.
You are one of my references for sound quality evaluation. It may be good advise for other looking for a cheap DAC solution.

Hi Chris, very interesting results.
I understand that in your (experienced) opinion a 3.6V modified CM6631+ES9023 board sounds better than a standard Topping D50 with a 32bit ES9038+ DAC. The D50 cost more than 200 Eur, the CM6631+ES9023 board around 25 Eur.
You are one of my references for sound quality evaluation. It may be good advise for other looking for a cheap DAC solution.

wait.... i am not having golden ears.....i read from other threads "Markw4" ES9038q2m thread ---- that it is not really easy to avoid some filter settings at the "modern"DAC´s....sometimes i remember Jean pauls statement that a good implemented low cost DAC ship with all the correct voltage regulations and correct values is "easier" to get sounding "perfect"....
so i am pretty sure that the D50 is "compressed" in some way.... this could be the reason.

but maybe i am actually to "emotional and biased" because i did the moddings:D....at the weekend my brother visit me and he has to judge:D:D

chris

According to the comparison of thes DAC´s:

the Es9023 board is on its max = 24/192k. i let my laptop do this...
with housing its about 35-40 euro

D50 "extras":--->250euros
-DSD
-display
-volume control
-alu case from one piece
-5 "different" filters
so these are extras you have to decide you need or not...

chris

3,6V for board 1

Hi

3 °C and rain....so do some modifications:D

enclosed my "high end" version:D of the MIC5205 3,6V for my first board.
i use a coax cable to compare later with the board 2.

chris

Attachments

• cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_4.jpg
    cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_4.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 247
  • cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_3.jpg
    cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_3.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 254
  • cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_2.jpg
    cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 255
  • cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_1.jpg
    cm6631A_9023_board13,6V_1.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 256
Higher temperatures and some sun here but winds up to 100Km/h. The roof is still there.
Clever use of a dull day. Have you seen your brother and heard his opinion on the ES9023? Also brothers do normally not like 3 degrees and rain so they better perform as audiophile reference.:p

Last edited:
Higher temperatures and some sun here but winds up to 100Km/h. The roof is still there.
Clever use of a dull day. Have you seen your brother and heard his opinion on the ES9023? Also brothers do normally not like 3 degrees and rain so they better perform as audiophile reference.:p

1 brother gets ill - so no judgment:eek:

2 i had several tries to get the regulator work because of some failures myself :rolleyes:. first time the black isolation over the pcb press something from the coax...then i made a mistake with soldering on the mic5205 power in...nevertheless i got it work after some tries....but now i have the same strange behavior: after playing a while i got some noise which getting louder and louder an then it ends with some scratches and pops:confused:. i go back to 3,3V so i check everything is fine. i played 30minutes without failure...

i replaced the MIC5205 input 4,7M tantal and after 2 hours it plays fine...i read something......but then ....this whitenoise and end with pop/scratch come again....:confused::rolleyes::confused:
it seams like a temp problem...i have to build a new mic regulator

sound wise i can say the quick change on the same board between 3,3V and 3,6 is easy to follow up that the 3,6 is the better solution

chris

Hi again

i did the last few days some compare listening sessions.

one failure i uncovered - do not low down the level of the Topping D50. i thought that i read about -4db less as the max level. this is not good...play always at full volume leveel 0.0dB.
2nd sometime the D50 is not always really on and play strange- what does this mean? the D50 has sometimes "connection" errors- he is connected but make during playing some strange streaming noises, its sound like small pop/brakes..loose the streaming packages??? i had this several times.....so i restart the D50 until i got the first seconds no interrupt.

SQ:
judgement by my brother is still not finished:D...he lives in a different area so next meeting is end of May....
i am still happy with my modifications- both DAC near but the "colors" of the mod ES9023 are real and give me bigger, real instruments and voices...the details of the D50 are not enough to cover the hole impression of the sound stage..its too focused on one point and the instruments and voisces are too closed together.....yes i know this is a strange statement but...believe it or not:p:)

pic --> board 2 in the housing of board 1 with copper foil finished now....
problem is that the toslink of board 2 is not existing at board 1 so you have to put away the blind plug. 2nd problem is that the micro usb is on the other side (left<->right). so for my planned separate power supply over micro usb i have to think about...

chris

Attachments

• CM6631A_ES9023_board2_copper shield.jpg
    CM6631A_ES9023_board2_copper shield.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 229
1 brother gets ill - so no judgment:eek:

2 i had several tries to get the regulator work because of some failures myself :rolleyes:. first time the black isolation over the pcb press something from the coax...then i made a mistake with soldering on the mic5205 power in...nevertheless i got it work after some tries....but now i have the same strange behavior: after playing a while i got some noise which getting louder and louder an then it ends with some scratches and pops:confused:. i go back to 3,3V so i check everything is fine. i played 30minutes without failure...

i replaced the MIC5205 input 4,7M tantal and after 2 hours it plays fine...i read something......but then ....this whitenoise and end with pop/scratch come again....:confused::rolleyes::confused:
it seams like a temp problem...i have to build a new mic regulator

sound wise i can say the quick change on the same board between 3,3V and 3,6 is easy to follow up that the 3,6 is the better solution

chris

at board 1 for the update of 3,6 i found that my small board must have some problems with the components.Why? maybe too long soldered, much heat, bending,.........--> i re solder the power back to 3,3V and no problems....so i have to build a new board
chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.