Clock wars?: 'Superclock 3' vs. KBK's personal design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought the Superclock 3 to try out (OK. Had a BIG credit at Parts xion) in my Shanling SACD player. Since it came completely with no instructions of any kind, does anyone know the voltage this puppy runs on? or even further, what the heck is the exact proceedure for replacing the original clock? I'd hate to screw up my shanling boards. I'm not stupid, I'm just ignorant of the proceeducre for placing one of thse puppies in my CD player.

No instructions? what the hecky poo is with that?

ah hah!..found this on the Superclock 3 PSU board:..."applied to proprietary circuitry which cancels out low level ripple from the filter capacitor and regulate the 12V DC output to Superclock 3...."

12 volts it is, then. hm..where to steal if from, for this little test.... Seems like this clock board might grab a fair amount of current. Have to scoop it from somewhere...as a temp fix, of course.

You might find the superclock 3 for sale soon, after this little experiment. I'll try not to be biased ahead of time. :D

Time to heat up the ole gun...

Elso: I started the thread..then thought it was in very bad taste to do so.

1: I love to share, and can't wait until the clock I designed is available for people to use and experiment with.
2: It is in dire need of patent protection.
3: The patent protection, as an issue to pursue..has just recently been started. I have an office that has about 20 agents in it..with one person I trust working there, and two engineers are about to be working on a plan to introduce it to a large university to work out the details of the claims. It is a fundamental enough change in thinking to require such effort and protection. Ie I -need- the university and the offices of 20 or more lawyers to protect and exploit it.

So, it was in bad taste, as I obviously can't share any details on it, at this time. And as you can see by the situation, it may be quite some time yet, before it can be shared freely amongst the DIY crew.

I bought the superclock as a simple test, or proof that I'm doing things exactly right. One more verification in a long line of verifications. Also, I m curious what others are doing in this area of endeavor.

I tried the site for audiocom in a general way, but found nothing on any cd player installs. I'll look at the sites you mentioned for mounting info. thanks!

KBK's personal design

KBK said:
Elso: I started the thread..then thought it was in very bad taste to do so.

1: I love to share, and can't wait until the clock I designed is available for people to use and experiment with.
3: The patent protection, as an issue to pursue..has just recently been started. I have an office that has about 20 agents in it..with one person I trust working there, and two engineers are about to be working on a plan to introduce it to a large university to work out the details of the claims. It is a fundamental enough change in thinking to require such effort and protection. Ie I -need- the university and the offices of 20 or more lawyers to protect and exploit it.

So, it was in bad taste, as I obviously can't share any details on it, at this time. And as you can see by the situation, it may be quite some time yet, before it can be shared freely amongst the DIY crew.

I bought the superclock as a simple test, or proof that I'm doing things exactly right. One more verification in a long line of verifications. Also, I m curious what others are doing in this area of endeavor.

I tried the site for audiocom in a general way, but found nothing on any cd player installs. I'll look at the sites you mentioned for mounting info. thanks!

KBK,
If your design is not a Colpitts, Pierce or Butler oscillator or any variant thereof you should indeed apply for a patent.

Yet I am even more surprised than Jocko as you are needing assistance installing your thingie........
Guido's PDF file should provide you with the necessary clues....... It's dead simple. (Quite surprised my name is in the document) :bawling:

KBK said:
...what the heck is the exact proceedure for replacing the original clock? I'd hate to screw up my shanling boards. I'm not stupid, I'm just ignorant of the proceeducre for placing one of thse puppies in my CD player.

KBK said:

:confused:
Huh... are you sure you wanna do this?:bfold:

That stuff has been distributed as a new product at the Hi-Fi expo 2005 in NY (on, right now!) , as of now. That's the Stereophile Home Entertainment Show, at the Hilton, I believe.

I've no idea as to the price, insofar as international pricing. Nor am I aware of how much it will be in Canada, but I suspect enough damping material for isolating one piece of equipment should be about $50 cdn, retail list price, ie, MSRP.

The entire Sterophile crew was in our room,and appeared to like the product very much. We brought enough to give every single magazine writer who walked into the room a 'set' of what we call 'gooeys'.

I'm not an idiot, I am just being sure I'm not missing anything. I'd hate to charge right in there, and screw up a perfectly good Shandling SACD player. I do want my old Modded NAD 502 back, though..as it has one of my clocks in it and it walks all over anything else I've ever heard in the world of digital.

As for all those clock designs mentioned---it is so far out field of thsoe types, it is not funny. None of those types are even remotely close to what it is. :D. That's about all I can say.

as for the install..I could download all the pertinent tech manuals for all the chips, trace out the circuit in the shandling..and then go from there, but that's a total pain in the ***. I want someone to tell me what to do,as it's easier that way. Only because they've done this exact unit (shanling SACD) before.

I'll might call up Chris Johnson and and ask him what he does to these units, when he installs the clocks.

Re: Let me see if I have this right.........

Jocko Homo said:
1.) You are designing a clock, of your design, and

2.) You want to patent it,

"WHY?", he asks.

3.) Yet you seem to be in need of assistance installing a generic DIY clock.

Am I missing something? Just curious.

Jocko
You are not missing anything Jocko. Not one thing. but, in my opinion, it is a good thing you are confused. That way, you aren't thinking about the situation.

I need help installing a generic clock, as I've never done anything exactly like this on my shanling before. The Shanling is a DVD/SACD drive unit, and has TWO clcoks in it. a 33 and a 27. Chris said the 27 is the one that needs replacment. SO..I look at the BB/TI PCM1738 chip. where's the clock in? I read the manual. no 27mhz. I'm frickin' confused. OK, whay would I want to go through a buch of useless crap and degrade the clock and then send that to the DAC chip?

Why does the DAC chip not support the clock I've bought? The 27mhz? Who in their right mind would not feed the DAC directly with a clean clock? I'm confused here. that's what's going on. why would I want a damned divider circuit between the clock and the DAC? Unless, of course, the DAC cannot supoort SACD and CD at the same time, via the one clock. only then, would any divider circuits make any sense. Who designs this ****? What planet are they from? the inefficent one? The brainless one? The mediocre one? Show me your smarts, instead. Not this.

STILL....if the freakin DAC's were properly designed, they would only need one clock. Obviously they are not. So I look to see if I can figure out how to get past that limitation. Sadly, I see no way, except putting the new clock right at the location that the original XO is. As Metallica said: Sad, but true. all kinds of damaged signal via long lines/traces/ribbon cables, noise, etc. Crap, crap, crap.

If you are so "frickin' confused" (your words), then I find it highly amusing that you have developed some revolutionary new device. Looks to me that you are just shilling your products.

It is not the DAC architecture, it the is the overall architecture of "one size fits all" CD/SACD/DVD/whatever players that you need to kvetch about.

No, I am not confused........I know how that stuff works. One reason that I choose not to.

I share your frustration over "who designs this crap". Yes, it seems like it was designed by trained monkeys.

Maybe it was..................

Jocko

KBK said:
I'm not an idiot, I am just being sure I'm not missing anything. I'd hate to charge right in there, and screw up a perfectly good Shandling SACD player. I do want my old Modded NAD 502 back, though..as it has one of my clocks in it and it walks all over anything else I've ever heard in the world of digital.

As for all those clock designs mentioned---it is so far out field of thsoe types, it is not funny. None of those types are even remotely close to what it is. :D. That's about all I can say.

KBK,

Before you go running to the Patent Office, I suggest you
get some phase noise measurements done on your clock
and see whether it actually has any measurable advantages
to what's already out there.
If you want something very good to compare to, check out
some of these clocks:

www.wenzel.com

You might also consider some info or books by Bob DeMatteis

http://inventors.about.com/cs/basicshowtoinvent/a/aa041599_2.htm

Good Luck,

Terry

That's what I figured. I was going to,and am still going to download and print the tech manuals for all these chips, again. ug. I used the old copies to write on the backside..not wanting to waste paper. I took a quick look at the 1738 manual, and I could have sworn that I did not see any information on using a 27mhz clock direct into the chip. I'll look again. As I said, once again, I'll have to read the manual until I come to the point were I understand that the chip will work for SACD and CD on that single clock frequency. Digital is not my favorite.

From what I am getting here, inputing a 27mhz clock into the 7th pin is apparently the way to go. Now that --is-- simple. But, one has to read the manuals, look at what the chip is doing, look at what the the supporting chips do and how they are implemented and used, then come to the conclusion that the 1738 can be fed 27mhz on pin 7, and all will be well. As well...one would have to look at all that hardware and be able to understand clearly that this is the best way to do such a thing. Then ask themselves why anyone would do it any other way. I have to go through the whole process, I won't just blindly install the clock.

Please remember, I also have other hats/jobs to wear here,and I can do a quite decent job at 'digital', but it is not my desire to do, nor is it my favorite.

And Jocko, I apologize. As I said, I never should have started the thread(or more specifically, titiled it that way), and that's going to be my last comment on this specific component of this topic. Even considering.... your statement is not fit to reply to. Maybe see you in a 1.5 to 2 years, on this subject. Until then..nothing. No marketing **** either.

As an example along those exact lines: We, as a company (this particular clock thing is me,as an individual) finally published some product this week, ones that have been rumored for years. We don't release or publish until we are damned well ready to. Also the innovations are things that time does not easily overcome. Serious innovations. Ones at the base level, ones that are not sensitive to electronic or marketing changes. Hard physics. Not funky circuits or the like. This sort of thing allows us to sit on them and develop or use them..until the release (to market) time is right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.