Clock wars?: 'Superclock 3' vs. KBK's personal design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PHEONIX said:

Hello Terry

Because this is the region where the crystal produces a thing called flicker FM noise, and the noise is attributed to the crystal.

Regards
Arthur

Well there ya go Arthur!

http://www.vectron.com/products/appnotes/phase.pdf

Also interesting is the specified methedology of measuring
phase noise

a) it is measured in power
b) the measurement BW is 1Hz (at a given freq from carrier)

always wondered why those numbers were so low, now
I know!

Cheers,

Terry

CraigBuckingham said:

... I wouldn't suggest an aftermarket audio oscillator unless it has published performance data.

Reference oscillators are available for not much more money that the most expensive audio aftermarket types from companies such as Wenzel.

www.wenzel.com

Hey Craig, you are not supposed to be using your full name as userid? It's TOO long...

I know you and Terry are big on Wenzel because they publish phase noise specs - and if I had expensive tastes [or the money to acquire them], I would love to get my hands on one and try it. Maybe I will, do they accept PayPal? :whazzat:

I wonder if Guido [he does], when doing his testing AND listening tests, before settling on HIS design, whether something with the claimed spec of a Wenzel like 'performance' (or actual Wenzel) was auditioned?

Guido, what shocks me about that graph (and you know that I like your clocks a LOT) is what it does ultra-low LF jitter. It seems to rise even at SUB 1 Hertz? Scary? The graph provides a visual proof of something I have suspected. I note that ALL power supplies have rising LF noise... at least in my experience (including batts), so not all blame should be sheeted at the oscillator? The graph of your clock is directly influenced by the ps which has a similar rise in noise? I am going to pass that graph on to Allen, I think he will find it interesting. Unless you have already shown him.

Also, in these DVD/SACD players (27MHz), what is the frequency content of the PLL's jitter, does it contribute more high (not so bad) or more low (worse IMHO and experience). In which case the PLL is not the main culprit, even if bad is bad. This would help explaining some of the results I have been getting lately. We must weigh the jitter component spectrally, not as a single numerical value, right? We could tolerate more jitter at SOME frequencies while reducing it at frequencies that are more damaging.

The DVD/SACD player I have in my system as I type this, despite all the reasons why it should not sound the way it does, continues to make music to all who listens to it. So I have had to revise my thinking re CD versus CD/DVD players, at least looking at getting high performance and appeal to reasonable budgets.

Guido, Lars and Terry (oops, and Craig) on the same thread. Glad I came across it, so whoever started it, don't feel so bad. ;)

Joe R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.