CLIO Pocket

Now a question - when measuring Freq resp from time to time my Clio would show me a measurement that is a few dB higher or lower than most.

Hi pliedtka,

can I trouble you for a quick test of measuring clio card only loopback at 0dB setting in generator (0.775Vrms), both in MLS and SINE menu?

I have come to a conclusion that differing levels of measurement despite leaving exact mesurement conditions can happen because of poor rca connection at amplifier input. I also own Clio 4.51 isa card.

Maybe this is the place I can get some help. I have a 2013 MacBook and installed Win10 on it, then run Firewire to Clio FW01 and it has been working reliably.

Due to an accident (my teenage son) and being overseas, I had to buy one with a Danish keyboard in 1914. It works fine, but... 1) sick of the keyboard and 2) want to upgrrade to a proper Windows i7 with USB-C ports.

This is one model I have been thinking about.

HP 15.6" Laptop 2019 Core i7 Silver, Product Code: HP15DA2019

Number of USB 2.0 Ports - 1 port
Number of USB 3.1 Ports - 2 ports
USB-C Speed Type USB 3.1 - 1 port

Seems to have a nice balance of features, will also be used for photo-editing. Sold locally up the road by Officeworks.

HP 15.6" Laptop 2019 Core i7 Silver | Officeworks

With a proper adapter, will I be able to use this computer from HP?

Any comments and advice appreciated.

That HP Notebook will not work with Clio FW-01, because it has no Firewire Interface.
I don't know any USB to FW Adapter ...
You can search for an Notebook with Thunderbolt Port.
With further 2 adapter, "Thunderbolt 3 to Thundebolt 2" and "Thundebolt 2 to Firewire" (both are available from Apple) it could work.

Other Options :
- try to get an "old" HP 8470p from Ebay, that has an FW Port (I use this in the past with Clio FW-01)
- Send the Clio Box To Audiomatica for an Upgrade to Clio 12, this incl. the change form FW to USB interface and you can use any actual Notebook

Last edited:
I would also recommend the upgrade to CLIO12 USB.

For several years I tried punch of FireWire PC Cards
on laptop models that support PC card slot... all the newer one do not even have that anymore and Firewire port is also hard to find.
Also even if you find a laptop with FW port it will not power the CLIO, so you'll need the external power supply.
That is true for CLIO12 USB also as that too can't be powered from USB alone

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Due to an accident (my teenage son) and being overseas, I had to buy one with a Danish keyboard in 1914. It works fine, but...
Any comments and advice appreciated.

That's a pretty vintage computer. is it steam powered?

Here in the US I have been buying Dell E6410 PC's pretty cheap and adding an SSD, ram etc. as necessary. The I7 version is plenty fast enough for Win 10 and it does have native FW (small port) etc. They were heavy enterprise machines and pretty sturdy. I would not want one as my daily schlepper however.

You can search for an Notebook with Thunderbolt Port.
With further 2 adapter, "Thunderbolt 3 to Thundebolt 2" and "Thundebolt 2 to Firewire" (both are available from Apple) it could work.

So you are saying if I get a new laptop with Thuderbolt, you can buy adapter and it will work?

- Send the Clio Box To Audiomatica for an Upgrade to Clio 12, this incl. the change form FW to USB interface and you can use any actual Notebook

I was not aware of any upgrade, I don't see Audiomatica offering it. What they mean by "upgrade" seems to be ditching FW01 and buy FW02, nice earner for them.

If they could change the interface in my current FW01 to USB? Or taking it as a trade-in for a FW02?

You know, when I bought FW01 I asked them, wouldn't it have been better if it was USB. They got rather gruff about me even asking. How true I have been proven, but no joy from that.

Appreciate your help.

Can you suggest where I can find the money? Throw out the FW01 in the trash can? Alas, your suggestion is depressing.

Sorry, you've misunderstood me. I of course referred to Audiomatica's upgrade program. It is not free but it will be about 50% less than buying CLIO pocket for example.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-23 204135.jpg
    Annotation 2020-01-23 204135.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 201
Sorry, you've misunderstood me. I of course referred to Audiomatica's upgrade program. It is not free but it will be about 50% less than buying CLIO pocket for example.

OK, and thanks, that is good to know.

I haven't seen any details on this upgrade program, is it on their website? I have used their software upgrade facility quite often, but I don't see anything about hardware upgrades.

If the cost is half that of purchasing a Clio Pocket, then I am definitely interested in knowing more. The Pocket is not much good to me, last year I invested quite a few dollars in the Earthworks M30 microphone, the unbalanced Clio is not an option.

So please, where do I find that upgrade program?

... So please, where do I find that upgrade program?

You can find it here :
CLIO Software Upgrade Service | Audiomatica Srl

Scroll down to the last sentence :
If you want to add new functionality to your measurement system purchasing a more powerful software release (for example passing from CLIO 12 Standard to CLIO 12 QC)
or want your hardware updated to the new USB fw-02 interface with CLIO 12 software please contact us at support@audiomatica.com.

BR Dirk

You must send your Clio Box to Audiomatica and after Upgrade you will get it back.
They changed the Interface Card ( FW to USB ) and some other parts ...

Thanks. You know, when I originally bought it, I asked why it was Firewire and wouldn't it be a good idea to switch over to USB. I got a very cool reply and basically "why should we do it, pointless" - and now I have been proven right many times over and have to pay for the right to be right. Such is life. :rolleyes:

From my knowledge /experience , and I'm not the only one, FW is the better interface for real time audio - faster, more stable, .... (comparing to the actual USB Version when Audiomatica released Clio FW).
The problem is now, that the FW Interface is not supported by PC / Notebook suppliers any longer. In the last years you could not find a new PC / Notebook with FW Interface.
So the only option for Audiomatica to switch to USB and from my point of view it's an fair offer to change the Interface Card.
And I can say it work with USB ... ;)