Class D Amp Photo Gallery

Yes, I found the source of the embedded PC's in Taiwan - when I contacted them they said they can't help me with the creator of the case - they don't sell them independently.

Closest thing to this I found was an American case designer, but they charge over 500$!

Unfortunately this design won't live for a long time. After 30 mins of normal volume playback, the heatsinks get pretty warm - this is no problem, but I can't seem to keep my fingers on the T-sinks and I don't think that is normal. I'll recheck if there is no air gap and will apply a good thermal paste and try again. I really need a thermometer for this, and know about the highest temperature this is supposed to reach. :(

The T-sinks on my UCD400 also get pretty hot, one more than the other.

But both amps have been playing perfectly for over 6 months now.

There is a long way from what is uncomfortable to touch, and to what is directly harmfull to the transistors. Hypex use very good transistors, they can take the heat.

Thermal paste will help, no doubt.

Yes, I found the source of the embedded PC's in Taiwan - when I contacted them they said they can't help me with the creator of the case - they don't sell them independently.

Closest thing to this I found was an American case designer, but they charge over 500$!

This must be who you are referring too......

http://atechfabrication.com/index.htm

Nice stuff, but really expensive.

Last edited:
The T-sinks on my UCD400 also get pretty hot, one more than the other.

But both amps have been playing perfectly for over 6 months now.

There is a long way from what is uncomfortable to touch, and to what is directly harmfull to the transistors. Hypex use very good transistors, they can take the heat.

Thermal paste will help, no doubt.

I got rid of the gaps and it's somewhat better - however, after 1 to 2h of playback, it's challenging to keep my hand on the external part of the casing, it's close to burning sensation. Surely that is too hot. I will now try with thermal paste, and if that fails, I'm going to rebuild into a (relatively) massive case. I want to go 5 channel at some point anyway :)

Been very happy with these over the past four years. Two chassis with 3-channels of Hypex modules - UcD180 x2 + UcD400 x1.

Attachments

• UCDx3_orion_4.jpg
    UCDx3_orion_4.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3,295
  • UCDx3_orion_5.jpg
    UCDx3_orion_5.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 3,210
Been very happy with these over the past four years. Two chassis with 3-channels of Hypex modules - UcD180 x2 + UcD400 x1.

Mac, that is a beautiful amp. What kind of toroidal and rectifiers did you use?
Reason I ask is because I am building an amp with a target of 27 VDC and the toroidal secondary is 25 VAC--I know there is a voltage drop at the rectifier and a gain with the filtering caps, so I don't want to stray too much. Very well done BTW.

Looks like a Par-Metal chassis. Not the best quality in the world, but it's one of our few "local" options.

I was pleased with the chassis. Unless you want a show piece, which I admit, sometimes I do, then this is more than adequate. Inexpensive compared to some alternatives, easy to work on, fits together nicely, looks good, the company was easy to deal with and shipped quickly. This suited my needs perfectly and had vents already cut.

I was pleased with the chassis. Unless you want a show piece, which I admit, sometimes I do, then this is more than adequate. Inexpensive compared to some alternatives, easy to work on, fits together nicely, looks good, the company was easy to deal with and shipped quickly. This suited my needs perfectly and had vents already cut.

WOW are they expensive. :eek: 12x12x3 is $75 with vent holes. Thanks for the info. Carry on. :)

[/hijack]