Clarity on Seas Thor Kit

Thanks Dave. I will use MDH on the internal braces. I will glue in the screws as I go per your advice. There will be no shortage on overkill as this goes along.

I have already encountered problem #1. My wife saw Ed's speakers over at :http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/153199-enclosure-stuffing.html

Swoon.....Drool.....Shameless Pander:nod:

Maybe tomorrow I will have the wood. Fun begins.

Thank you Dave. I cut some today and was not impressed. I have some 1" poplar that shoud do nicely. The MDF should make nice birdhouses.

So far I figured 56 board feet of kiln dried cherry plus 1 4x8 MDF should build the box
tomorrow it's off to the buddy's house to square the boards up for glueing into panels.

I will use a buiscuit joiner and titebond and pipe clamps for this job. When it is done it's back to the woodworking shop to plane the panels.

Again, I accept no credit other than gathering info. The XO is the latest from the HT forum. The are some measurements I do not like on the cut out sheet. The length dimension on pdf p2 is incorrect. Adam at Madisound had to do some mild substitution
to supply the XO.
FYI Dave, Every peice of wooden furniture I own is from solid hand made cherry. I use standard biscuit joinery and wood glue with clamps. The stuff is like cast iorn. Truly I had some concern about using planking but (true to overkill) # 20 biscuits at 8" centers and this stuff will outlast many sets of drivers. At least more than I will ever see.
The wood went thru the planer jointer today and the table saw ate away the lumber.
FWIW the bid of 56 board feet of 8 foot cherry planking was about 1 foot of waste.
As i oversaw the truck loading it could have gone 10 feet the other way. I laid out the panels to group them. I will up some photos when I get some on clamps.
At this point I very much do need some input on a nice base or feet. Smooth simple lines are a must says my lovely and gracious wife.
Most importantly big thanks and gratitude for you guys weighing in. Feel free to correct the .pdf. The next guy will surely use it. Really it could become an important DIY tool.
There is alot of refinement on this speaker and anyone looking for a diy in this price range could do much worse imho.
Probably not much for a couple of days. Life calls.

FWIW , here is the proposed XO as modded (for availability) by madisound. Weigh in if you see issues. The XO's have not yet been built. It is the one Dave references slightly modded.

Attachments

• Short-ThorXO.jpg
    Short-ThorXO.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 480
So here is the question for the evening. I set these lovely cherry panels together to get an idea of what I was creating (huge) and closed one end and thumped around on the inside and "ring". I don't think this is good. At this point alot can change that will help this however some F.B. on any interior coatings would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Short Thor line length?

How much shorter is the line length? Or isn't it shorter? Only the height of the drivers from the base perhaps?

I'm a newbie on TL's and read Joe D's AE Article on his TL Thor. His line length calculation is rather straightforward for a 1/4 wavelength line and the speed of sound at 1130 fps.
I"ve also read Sharp's TL pamphlet. Sharp line length calculation is modified by a slowing down of the sound wave calculation that shortens the line considerably. A design I'm working on has a line length of approx. 70 inches using Joe D'd methodology. With sharp's method, the line length shortens to 25 inches!, resulting in a considerable savings in materials.

Is sharp all wrong in his approach to line length calculations?

p.s. I've also used Smith's TL spreadsheet calculator and got 70 inches as well, which suggests Smith and Joe D don't agree with Sharp.

What say you guys?