Chipclone and speaker: suggestions for a perfect combination?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am leaning towards the Nagaoka horns, I think. But a 2-way speaker is absolutely also a possibillity. I have made a pair of the ProAc Response 2.5 clones and they sound wonderfull. They are easy enough to make, but perhaps not excactly cheap. Also I think that the clones are not putting too much strain on the amp.
It would be a good project, it is well documented on the internet.http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/ http://www.geocities.com/diyproac25/
I am afraid, we are going a "little" bit off topic
Yeah right, but it is often amusing stuff:)
Here is a little more off topic. P2P wiring inside the GC. One chip and 4 resistors per channel! Amazing.

Steen.

Attachments

• gc_inside_f.jpg
    gc_inside_f.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 370
My son found the cabinet a long time ago on the junkyard.

Here's a 'recipe' for a real laugh!

Build a nice Gainclone into an old case. In fact the older and cheaper looking the better.

Then ring up your nearest hi-fi dealer (the more hi-end the better) and ask for a demo of some speakers or CD players. Ask them if it is alright to have a demo using your amplifier; which they will probably agree to.

Then when you have your demo, watch their faces when you bring out your amp and better still when they hear the sound it provides! :D

a 3-4" fullrange system (Fostex, Vifa, Tangband...) in a ceramic ball with a fronthorn to correct linearity:

Another good suggestion Franz although I have not seen those ceramic ball over here in the UK.

I did find some interesting looking ceramic pots that don't have a lip but they were 20 UKP each which is a bit much for me!

If I make one suggestion. Find some small wooden balls, drill holes in them and put then on top of the metal tubes supporting the ceramic balls. That would look much better! ;)

I did find some interesting looking ceramic pots that don't have a lip but they were 20 UKP each which is a bit much for me!

Hmmmm, Nuuk

Pots are perfect for subwoofers:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Your suggestion for a prettier stand is here welcome too!

Franz

P.S.
@Nuuk: half an hour before, I wanted to send you the safety text to correct, but you dont want mails in your profile. Thats the only reason, I risked it, to write the text on my own.

P.S.
@Nuuk: half an hour before, I wanted to send you the safety text to correct, but you dont want mails in your profile. Thats the only reason, I risked it, to write the text on my own.

Hi Franz. I see that you don't want emails either! :D But I do have a web site! :eek:

To contact me click on the www button at the bottom of this post and then on the Decibel Dungeon Contact button. When I get you email I can reply with my address. ;)

Aren't those drivers designed for vented/horn systems? I suppose a ceramic ball would be a closed one. Does they sound good ( as in HiFi) ?

Yes, of course! In a closed box fullrange speakers are released from basswork.

But: Subwoofer support is an absolutely must!

But for every speaker there is a perfect volume, of the closed box.

They sound absolutely great, not Hifi, Highend!

Franz

P.S.
You can change the volume of the balls, by simply inserting some styrofoam pieces, therefore reducing the volume, and try what sounds best!

speaking of ceramic balls, would it be madness to use steel balls? obviously steel is the worst material for speaker construction, but i am wondering if there might be some success as spheres. any opinion?

i have an art-welder friend who uses these for big spiders and whatnot, as well as using old propane tanks. if it is not completely foolish, he might like to try this for his shop speakers and computer speakers. understand that this is fairly thick steel, not thin tin. you can weld it without buckling.

this is sort of on-topic; i am hoping to convince him to make an artsy iron gainclone at some point. it would be fun to have a complete system.

(and when i am rich, i'd like him to do horns. it is entirely the wrong material, but he does beautiful work. they would look fantastic.)

I'm sure that there are other "perfect" combinations but I have the same combination Franz does and it is a killer.

I made the FE103E backloaded horns in the Fostex recommended enclosure almost as a game, just to try the horn issue. They sound fabulous. I used plywood instead of MDF. They're not hard to make. You need more time and patience than for other type of speakers but I really recommend them.

My GC is BrianGTs board based (not the premium but the standard one).

I like my little horns so much that I'm thinking about going the Lowther way.

Of course they don't play loud but I have them in the bedroom and I don't need more volume.

A very different combination is the one I have in the office: GC and a pair of Jordan JX92S in 3 liter closed boxes. I don't think you can get better sounding speakers in such a small cabinet (bass is tiny but for office listening they're superb).

Will try to post pictures of the horns tomorrow.

I have the same combination Franz does and it is a killer.

Switzerland is greeting Mexico! :cool:

Lowther: I recommend to listen to some lowther's first. I dont like the coloration (and the price) of todays lowther!

A good and priceworth alternative to lowthers is the fostex FE206E, a little wonder. But for my opinion, you should add a supertweeter to them. You find at the fotex site a very good recommended horn enclosure (big). I use it with my Coral Beta 8.

Do you know the Jordan JX92? Small as the Fostex FE103E, not so pricy but...

Really heaven would be a Supravox 215-2000.

Franz

I just wanted to throw my two cents in. I am about to buy these to be paired up with a basic Brian GC. I haven’t heard these speakers, a GC, or anything for that matter. I'm going to a diy convention in Iowa on the 23rd. I hope to get a lot of insight there. This is what I would buy right now from what I know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.