Chinese/Taiwan 4” Dual Cone Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
how low can they go

vmps

For a sealed box and with these dimensions it can hit -3db(simulated measurement) around 95Hz and I use a subwoofer dial to around 100Hz x-over with it.

I am listening to it right now with the above combo it sounds great anyone building it will be happy. It costs me US$90 for the drivers(2 units) and the cabinet is very simple. I read many reviews on the best 2-way speakers and they one thing in common, the cabinet dimension ratios are very close to each other. I duplicated that dimension ratios the result is it throws a large sound stage(*) for such small speakers. Couple with no x--over it sounds really good and they are driven from a pair of common amplifier(15watts) with an integrated CD player.

* actually I intend to use it as my computer speakers, it exceeded my expectation. Mind you I have built a pair of Fe167E(left unused) before, I like these speakers better. I know what full range sounds like.

Cheers.

For a sealed box and with these dimensions it can hit -3db(simulated measurement) around 95Hz and I use a subwoofer dial to around 100Hz x-over with it.

I am listening to it right now with the above combo it sounds great anyone building it will be happy. It costs me US$90 for the drivers(2 units) and the cabinet is very simple. I read many reviews on the best 2-way speakers and they one thing in common, the cabinet dimension ratios are very close to each other. I duplicated that dimension ratios the result is it throws a large sound stage(*) for such small speakers. Couple with no x--over it sounds really good and they are driven from a pair of common amplifier(15watts) with an integrated CD player.

* actually I intend to use it as my computer speakers, it exceeded my expectation. Mind you I have built a pair of Fe167E(left unused) before, I like these speakers better. I know what full range sounds like.

Cheers.

thanks for they infor, i may try them out

vmps

I also bought a pair of these off e-bay, based I have to admit on the photos.

Had I seen a picture of the tiny magnet on the back though, I may have thought twice.

I hope I'll be surprised when I try them out!

Hi, I'm quite interested in buying some of these, what was the buying experience like? Did you have to wait long? What import charges were there?

Thanks

A slight deviation from topic. I bought a pair of NSW2 from this site, to experiment with a Pluto type design. He was very helpful in sorting out an (ebay) payment problem, delivery was very prompt, and the small speakers were very well packed. I haven't tried them yet but they look fine, I feel he is worth recommending

horn

Hello - Can anyone recomend any horn enclosures for these drivers. I am about to put them into 5liter sealed boxes.

i think my double horn KORNETT will work
very good with a cheap invers driver in the back
like Monacor SPH-60
look my HP
measurements and translate the feedbacks!

Attachments

• kornetthin1web.jpg
    kornetthin1web.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,518
  • kornett abit1kl.datei.jpg
    kornett abit1kl.datei.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,499
Drivers on Zigma

Good evening,
As I wrote before I tried to put these speakers on Zigma's enclosure.
My main speakers are a pair of JBL en3 with s21 (in other word: a bigger L65), so you can image how surprised I was when I clearly heard the bass Moog on "The old castle" (ELP Picture at an exhibition) from those skinny speakers...
(2nd tumbnail)
I also compared them with standard fe103 on the same Zigma and on Pico-Lino coupled on the floor (as you can see). I think the latter solution gain a little more bass.
(1st tumbnail)
So, summing up, I think fostex are more natural on mid and high, but the chinese speakers can go really low and I think their response are al lot wider than fostex's.
I'll post more after the next 25 hours of playing.

Attachments

• 03112010026.jpg
    03112010026.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 1,444
  • DSC02499.jpg
    DSC02499.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 1,385
Last edited:
Good evening,
As I wrote before I tried to put these speakers on Zigma's enclosure.
My main speakers are a pair of JBL en3 with s21 (in other word: a bigger L65), so you can image how surprised I was when I clearly heard the bass Moog on "The old castle" (ELP Picture at an exhibition) from those skinny speakers...
(2nd tumbnail)
I also compared them with standard fe103 on the same Zigma and on Pico-Lino coupled on the floor (as you can see). I think the latter solution gain a little more bass.
(1st tumbnail)
So, summing up, I think fostex are more natural on mid and high, but the chinese speakers can go really low and I think their response are al lot wider than fostex's.
I'll post more after the next 25 hours of playing.

Hi,

I have similar speakers, did you flush mount your drivers?

I found the highs are little more pronounced( I should perform some measurement to confirm this) and should be tamed, after more than 50hrs of listening.

Overall I really like this driver better than my Fostex FE167, they add more body to the sound reproduction, whereas FE267 sounds very thin in comparison.

Hi,

I have similar speakers, did you flush mount your drivers?

I found the highs are little more pronounced( I should perform some measurement to confirm this) and should be tamed, after more than 50hrs of listening.

Overall I really like this driver better than my Fostex FE167, they add more body to the sound reproduction, whereas FE267 sounds very thin in comparison.

No, i mount them straight over the wood without carving it. I use 12mm birch plywood, with 45° cut behind the speaker to let him "breath", so I couldn't make the front baffle thinner!

I agree with you: they give more body to the music than my fe103.

How did you tame the high frequencies?

No, i mount them straight over the wood without carving it. I use 12mm birch plywood, with 45° cut behind the speaker to let him "breath", so I couldn't make the front baffle thinner!

I agree with you: they give more body to the music than my fe103.

How did you tame the high frequencies?

I haven't fix the HF response yet, flush mount will obviously help, I strongly suspect there is a rising response.

My initial thought would be a simple parallel inductor and resistor value (a high freq.shelving equalization BTW, I have yet to measure FR) starts around maybe 6-8Khz.

or alternative

add a tweeter(or super tweeter) x-over at possibly 6-8Khz, a 6dB slope(on either end) may work. This approach will improve dispersion and directivity as well and at the same time will give you a smooth top end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.