Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

Yes DC input :)

Maybe someone with knowledge abouy snubber mods could draw on this? I have no clue. lol

Attachments

• 2016-08-22_235909_HTB1mZxaKVXXXXa.XVXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg
    2016-08-22_235909_HTB1mZxaKVXXXXa.XVXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 577
I personally favoured some! fake trivent "Panasonics" above real Tvent Panasonics on 3116/18 ampboards and do like real Würth inductors, but would question the inductors (and the ampboard) next to obvious fake Panasonic FR's on the $39 allo.com ampboards. Replace the foil for Chemicon's and I wouldn't think it was expensive.
Printing a fake CE certification logo (genuine China Export logo) on bottom side doesn't help either.

Your mute "circuit" is bigger than your amp!
I know, it's harder to keep things quiet with these amps... :)
Nice idea, and the correct way - detecting AC lost to mute it immediately, long before DC drops down.
Actually started with a much smaller 24V DC delayed relay. But it only solved turn on pop, because it kept on while DC dropped. Cant find a smaller AC relay than this, with the delayed operation function :) But then again. I got plenty of space left for the optical i2s board and sabre DAC in this box.

Hi,
I've bought the Suptronics X400 board (I own the one with the smt caps). It's an expansion board for Raspberry Pi including a PCM5122 DAC and the TPA3188 amp. Compared to my TA2021 based amp I'm pretty unhappy. First of all the stereo effect is not very present. Though that's not very important for me. The worst thing is the significant lack of bass. I tried different 12V PSUs.
I compared my old TA2021 amp with the TPA3118 by connecting the old amp to the RCA outputs and switching between these two. So, the DAC stayed the same when testing.

Do you have any suggestions/ mods to fix the lack of bass?

Actually started with a much smaller 24V DC delayed relay. But it only solved turn on pop, because it kept on while DC dropped. Cant find a smaller AC relay than this, with the delayed operation function :) But then again. I got plenty of space left for the optical i2s board and sabre DAC in this box.
Did you measure the voltage at which that relay would drop? I was about to try that solution, but the relay must switch at very high voltage to give some time (10ms) for the IC to switch to high impedance output state.

Hi,
I've bought the Suptronics X400 board (I own the one with the smt caps). It's an expansion board for Raspberry Pi including a PCM5122 DAC and the TPA3188 amp. Compared to my TA2021 based amp I'm pretty unhappy. First of all the stereo effect is not very present. Though that's not very important for me. The worst thing is the significant lack of bass. I tried different 12V PSUs.
I compared my old TA2021 amp with the TPA3118 by connecting the old amp to the RCA outputs and switching between these two. So, the DAC stayed the same when testing.

Do you have any suggestions/ mods to fix the lack of bass?

Try a 3€ sanwu TDA8932 mono BTL.
It is the better option for 8 Ohm woofers (imo).

Thanks for the reply.
Actually the amp shall drive these (Visaton Tabula) speakers. I'm testing with CT248 (I think they are also called "Mustang").

Why do you think the TDA8932 is the better option?
It would be a pitty not to use the compact X400 board.

Because you complained about a alck of bass.
Bass is what you get with the 8932.
But your speaker can also take the power of a TDA7498.
The 7498 needs more than 12V, but then sounds awesome.

Karower. One quick thing you can do is try a higher supply voltage. Laptop power bricks are commonly ~19-20v, and >60W 24v bricks aren't too hard to find.

I already tried higher voltage with a lab power supply. I couldn't hear any difference.

Because you complained about a alck of bass.
Bass is what you get with the 8932.
But your speaker can also take the power of a TDA7498.
The 7498 needs more than 12V, but then sounds awesome.

Is the bass significantly louder with the 8932? If yes and if there aren't any solutions for the TPA3118 I will give it a try.
Before buying the X400 I intended to build an expansion board (DAC+amp) myself. But with all needed parts considered it would have been much more expensive, especially here in Germany.

I ask myself wether you guys don't have any complains about lack of bass. Is it related to the chip or the maybe poor design of my board?

I ask myself wether you guys don't have any complains about lack of bass. Is it related to the chip or the maybe poor design of my board?

Signs point to the board. I notice that it seems to lack snubbers after the output filters, which I don't think is implicated in Bass response, but does show that they didn't follow the reference design very closely. Figuring out the schematic and component values of the input section might cast some light on things.

I can attest to the Sanwu TDA8932 bass prowess. It is an amazing little amp that can embarrass many a bigger amp. Including some rather famous class A ones.

Erm ONLY if you have Cloth ears or very Low expectations..Mate.
Yess you demonstrably love Cheap *** stuff.
Fair enough... Bottom Feed to your hearts' content
But.. Please Spare the pretense that it's Exceptional.
Simply Too hard to put up with... with a straight face.