Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

Neurochrome SMPS Quote:

Key Features

Better performance and 30 % lower component cost than a typical unregulated linear supply.

--------
He is anal about measurements.
More audiophile subjective people will tell you linear is far superior.
A gainclone dual psu is not very helpfull with these simple classD ampboards.

Thanks. Using two monoboards with same PSU - is there something to be aware off. Will the two clocks interfer if the are a bit different? Can one board be the master, and the other slave? I know LC audio recommends that two mono boards on same PSU should be as close together as possible in order to avoid the two clocks to interfer.

I think I will build a linear with a 2x16 volt transformer and two diode bridges to power two modules. It seems to be easier to find these transformers than single output ones. That could be done for less than 50$

Last edited:
Try as is first?

Very good advice indeed :)
I'm currently toying with a YJ TPA3116D2 board, and I have two TPA3118 BTL boards lying around so I was just wondering if there were any common tips for 8Ohm use...

I have to divide my ample spare time between reading >200 pages on the TPA3118 thread, >1100 pages on the TPA3116 thread, actually spending time with my wife, spending time finishing my 2nd DIY speaker (the 1st one works great :)), and actually making music...

So if anyone can give me hints before I start spending hours A/B'ing between my trusted old Onkyo amp, my TPA3116 setup and my planned TPA3118 setup that would really be helpful :)

Very good advice indeed :)
I'm currently toying with a YJ TPA3116D2 board, and I have two TPA3118 BTL boards lying around so I was just wondering if there were any common tips for 8Ohm use...

I have to divide my ample spare time between reading >200 pages on the TPA3118 thread, >1100 pages on the TPA3116 thread, actually spending time with my wife, spending time finishing my 2nd DIY speaker (the 1st one works great :)), and actually making music...

So if anyone can give me hints before I start spending hours A/B'ing between my trusted old Onkyo amp, my TPA3116 setup and my planned TPA3118 setup that would really be helpful :)
Many people would say the first thing to do is try replacing the capacitors. I believe Panasonic Oscons are well regarded, or you could play around with some Nichicon muse series caps or the elna silmics.

Many people would say the first thing to do is try replacing the capacitors. I believe Panasonic Oscons are well regarded, or you could play around with some Nichicon muse series caps or the elna silmics.

I've swapped the caps on my TPA3116d2 for the Panasonics with good result indeed! I'll be doing that to my tpa3118's as well.
I don't think that mod relates to the difference between 4 and 8 Ohm speakers though..
I'm just wondering if there are any standard 4 ohm -> my 8 Ohm speaker related mods (inductors, output filters) recommended, besides all "usual" mods to be done to the tpa3118 boards.

Since I'll be powering my tpa's with 24v, I think the usual power cap replacement suggestions (oscons 330 25v) don't have enough margin.
I've been browsing tme.eu for the past hour but I cant find a good 35 / 50v low esr alternative..
any suggestions? What caps do other people use when on 24v?

(Or will it be fine using the 25v's?)

Last edited: