Cheap Sub with fantastick results

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Keep in mind ,I have 2 sets of these and Im most certain they
could carry deep bass in a room twice as large and bigger.

Hi,

How many sets you have only affects max SPL and efficiency,
it does not affect the bass alignment, the bass extension and
the matching of the basic alignment to your room.

The MCM drivers in sealed boxes will give a slow bass roll
that will match well with the room gain of many rooms,
of any sensible size, best point of low Q sealed subs.

rgds,sreten.

I agree with you on that Im just saying you may need 300 + to run a Crewin Vega Stroker to get adequate response from them but these MCM 8" don't need that much power plus you have to look at the fact I'm running dual 8" in one cabinet the surface mass is greater than your 15" and if running the same power they would out perform yours at 120/240 rms . Until you have run the MCM 8" High Excursion Woofer don't discredit it in needing more power to get quality sound.....

Last edited:
Non-sense. I'm running a 15" Cerwin-Vega Stroker in a ported enclosure off a 300W RMS Bash amplifier that I bought from Parts Express. I crank it to the max, and while it gets plenty loud, it certainly isn't always loud enough. For those times, I hook the Stroker up to a Peavey CS800X. ;)
That totally different critter than my MCM your talking about big watt speakers that need big power to get them rolling. Don't get off focus from what the thread was started about ...

Four 8's have approximately 13% more surface are than that of a single 15"er.
Still quite a bit of woofer power for your average room and plenty enough for above average listening levels.

It takes every bit of excursion for my average four 10 and 12 woofers to get to 109db flat to 28Hz and they don't have the excursion that even an 8 inch sub can do.

When I lost the first one of my 12's I used an 8" sub to fill the bill, and, much to my surprise it did it very nicely!!!

Here is an excursion calculator so that you can compare how much of a difference driver sizes can make.

Piston Excursion calculator

Cheers !!!!

jer :)

Still quite a bit of woofer power for your average room and plenty enough for above average listening levels.

It takes every bit of excursion for my average four 10 and 12 woofers to get to 109db flat to 28Hz and they don't have the excursion that even an 8 inch sub can do.

When I lost the first one of my 12's I used an 8" sub to fill the bill, and, much to my surprise it did it very nicely!!!

Here is an excursion calculator so that you can compare how much of a difference driver sizes can make.

Cheers !!!!

What you mean "lost one of my 12's" its not like its a set of keys is it , 12's dont just get up and run away , you need to fess up Jer ...

You been abusing them , have t you ... :)

Cheers !!!!

Thanks buddy for the support , I think some of these guys just like bragging on what they have and loose sight of what the thread is about ( Cheap well built 8" subwoofer with fantastic sound ) . The dude with the Crewin Vega Stroker is talking about power levels needed for a speaker that is totally beyond comparison....

Awayne...Yes :D ...Yes.....I was !!!! he,he,he,he,he :p

Actually the amp was cutting out on me (probably a bad cap) and I would have to crank it all of the way up to get it to pop back in, sometimes beating on the top of the amp would make it pop back in as well.

It is a rather large amp an Ashley FTX-2000 and if I had my Crown DC300a hook to them like it was, they would still be playing today.

Live and learn !!! ;)

I still haven't got that amp out to repair it yet as it is big and heavy and buried in the bottom of a rack and is hard to get to without taking my mixer down and out of the room.

Last edited:
Here is a few links showing the measurement of that system in its heyday,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...k-best-drivers-my-hybrid-esl.html#post2912484

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...uch-thing-dipol-kick-chest-2.html#post2645122

And of course a picture of the stack just after I got every thing redone and all matched up,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...uch-thing-dipol-kick-chest-2.html#post2626503

The amp in the picture is an old BGW that I picked up for $80 many moons ago and it too needs to be repaired as well, I just haven't gotten around to it.
That amp has seen a lot of use back in the recording studio days and it was a great sounding workhorse!!!

Here are a few links to my 8" sub project that I need to get done.

This one is a measurement of my First 8" sub compared to Winlsd as built,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...k-best-drivers-my-hybrid-esl.html#post2918913

Here are some sim's of my next 2 or 3 driver 8" sub's that I have been planning for quite some time,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...uch-thing-dipol-kick-chest-2.html#post2616546

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...uch-thing-dipol-kick-chest-2.html#post2616579

The Sub's I have are Optimus PRO-CSW800 they are very similar to the MCM's.
MTX had a model that the specs were exactly the same as the ones I have.

This build of six 8's is projected to do as well as the big stack that was once working at about 115db to 118db.

I wish I had 8 drivers but I dropped one the day I got it and now the voice coil is rubbing.
Then I burned another one while testing its max excursion, so six will have to do it.
I may have to get a few MCM's to make up the difference!! ;)

Cheers !!!

The 8" woofers look like foam surrounds. Every foam surround woofer I have owned has rotted eventually.

I have promised myself to only use woofers with neoprene or rubber surrounds.

It is foam and will eventually rot and Ill replace the surround with foam again. Foam does have its advantage as you can achieve lower feq. with it. every different type of surround will give a different effect .....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.