Center tab on / off or, from +-5V to 0-10V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most lab supplies are built with two floating supplies in one cabinet, more flexible and no disadvantages.
Hmm maybe I should drop my small supply and build a powerful one, I mean one that I can use while building my amplifier?
Lets say a psu that can be used to power op to 200W 8Ohm or 800W 2Ohm, Have not yet use for a monster like that, but why not build one that can be used all the way and beyond... stupid idea?

Joined 2011
Hmm maybe I should drop my small supply and build a powerful one, I mean one that I can use while building my amplifier?
Lets say a psu that can be used to power op to 200W 8Ohm or 800W 2Ohm, Have not yet use for a monster like that, but why not build one that can be used all the way and beyond... stupid idea?

You could use a Variac to vary the AC line voltage, then connect it to a power transformer
and supply circuit like in the earlier schematic. There's even a pcb for that.
Universal Power Supply – diyAudio Store

Sure, you could use a Variac to vary the AC line voltage, then connect to a power transformer
and supply circuit like in the earlier schematic. There's even a pcb for that.
Universal Power Supply – diyAudio Store
Thanks a lot, but I think it could be more fun to build it myself from the schematic you did send and then add Dave's sustainability to that circuit. I know that my end result properly is less great then by buying, but I have more fun:)

Is this circuit usable for 50V 20A 100Hz?

Attachments

• Udklip.PNG
    Udklip.PNG
    90.5 KB · Views: 46
Yes, only DC input. A linear supply will have losses since the regulator needs a certain minimum voltage drop,
and also has to accommodate variations in AC line voltage. That's why switching supplies can be so much
more efficient.
Yes voltage drop can't be totally avoided but almost, I think that "my" rectifier do not drop anything significantly.
I have also tried to build it so that it can be used for both types of power supplys.
By the way I have found a 95% effective torroid:)

Is this circuit usable for 50V 20A 100Hz?
This circuit has some small mistakes and don't supposed to work with 20 A, it's several amperes maximum, if we make same change (connect power line to mosfet).
If TS don't knows what to do with such cirquit then I recommend find something else.
If TS needs just several amperes regulated voltage then I recommend use only integral regulator, like LT1083.

I have read the pdf and several other texts about rectifier and think I have arrived to the conclusion that MOSFET's with a build in Schottky diode, should give least voltage drop and most stable rectifying.

I'm afraid that rectifier part, q1-q4, cant't work if AC voltage will be higher than 15-20 V.
There is "ideal diode driver" IC for such type active rectifiers, LTC4320 for examole - it works up to about 70 V (I don't remember exact value).
Easy way of use this circuit - change Q1-Q4 to Shottky diodes (for large currents, >3-4 A they need radiator cooling).

Last edited:
I'm afraid that rectifier part, q1-q4, cant't work if AC voltage will be higher than 15-20 V.
There is "ideal diode driver" IC for such type active rectifiers, LTC4320 for examole - it works up to about 70 V (I don't remember exact value).
Easy way of use this circuit - change Q1-Q4 to Shottky diodes (for large currents, >3-4 A they need radiator cooling).
Thanks! Sounds wary interesting, sorry for not replying before. Do the rest look like it could work and effective lower ripples?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.