Cello Palette Style EQ Design (was High End Tone Control)...

If you where to build a Cello Palette functional clone, what technology do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like I am the only one who is doing anything with Thorsten's elegant design.

Patrick

Attachments

• XEN EQ Layout.jpg
    XEN EQ Layout.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 971
  • CEN EQ PCB.jpg
    CEN EQ PCB.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:
Looks like I am the only one who is doing anything with Thorsten's elegant design.

Patrick
Hi!

I have been following this thread with a lot of interrest, and will have to get this EQ at some point.

With "High-end" point of view, what is the:
*No expenses spared version
*Best affordable setup
*Most economical version without too much loss in quality?

I am thankful for all your work folks!

Is this workable for economy version?:
Active or baxandall config for 15hz, 45hz, 120hz, 600hz, Passive config for 2khz, 5khz, 12khz

This economical prospect might look a lot like replacing the treble section of Nite 3d EQ with ThorstenL's much better quality passive EQ treble section. And the key factor is having used some of ThorstenL's EQ for the purposes of quality increase, without getting your wallet in a ringer.

So far it is this, but I don't know why the ~45hz control was lost or where to buy 80v capable BC560C's.
This was the Op-amp solution on the two lowest bands, if I read this correct?

I see lots of ideas floating around, but is there a concensus yet? If so, what is it and what's the post number where it's loated?
post #18?

Last edited:
The trouble with the circuit in #88 is one of the bottom band is centered below most speakers' reproduction range, and at the top end--unless you are below the age of eight--the control is largely worthless. The original GDR circuit was much more useful, with a 63Hz to 16,000Hz range.

If a Minimalist discrete EQ using Tubes (ZenEQ derived from the "East German EQ") are chosen, what tubes will fit this setup and how will the tube-schematic look?

I ask this question because my soundsystem will use tube pre and tube mono amps on Lowther DX3's. Will solid state be the wrong choice in my setup?
-join-

Last edited:
If a Minimalist discrete EQ using Tubes (ZenEQ derived from the "East German EQ") are chosen, what tubes will fit this setup and how will the tube-schematic look?
I ask this question because my soundsystem will use tube pre and tube mono amps on Lowther DX3's. Will solid state be the wrong choice in my setup?
-join-
Right on! Its got Fet's its got Op-Amps, its got BJT, so now all we need to do is add some InGan, some huge IGBT and some Tubes! :) Plus, I think that it may be a bit short of inductors and surely could use more. :) This wallet-ringer should sound really great.

Hi,

I ask this question because my soundsystem will use tube pre and tube mono amps on Lowther DX3's. Will solid state be the wrong choice in my setup? -join-

Well, the gain tube must have enough Mu to boost the signal 24dB and low enough anode Impedance to operate at significant signal levels with 18K Anode/Cathode loads. So 12AX7/ECC83 is out.

An ECC88 could probably be made to work, for fan's of German Tubes, the D3a and E810F triode wired look really horrorshow for this.

Schematic stays as before, replace the J-Fet/BJT combo with the tube, scale all impedances by a factor 10 and up the Powersupples to at least +/-200V...

Ciao T

Hi,

Well, the gain tube must have enough Mu to boost the signal 24dB and low enough anode Impedance to operate at significant signal levels with 18K Anode/Cathode loads. So 12AX7/ECC83 is out.

An ECC88 could probably be made to work, for fan's of German Tubes, the D3a and E810F triode wired look really horrorshow for this.

Schematic stays as before, replace the J-Fet/BJT combo with the tube, scale all impedances by a factor 10 and up the Powersupples to at least +/-200V...

Ciao T
Thank you ThorstenL.

When you says: "the D3a and E810F triode wired look really horrorshow for this."

What do you mean by horrorshow? In a good or bad way? :)

My system will be a no-feedback system, so the EQ-tubes can be triode-wired like single-end and set up with no feedback for the best possible result?
Again, thanks

Hi,

When you says: "the D3a and E810F triode wired look really horrorshow for this."

What do you mean by horrorshow? In a good or bad way? :)

I guess I'm dating myself as someone who was young when Burgess's Novel "Clockwork Orange" was kool.

Urban Dictionary said:
horrorshow

Part of the 'Nadsat' vocabulary used by Alex in Anothony Burgess' Novel 'A Clockwork Orange', Horrorshow was derived by Burgess from the russian word 'Khorosho' meaning well or good.

# real horrorshow (very good)

# we'd get some moloko-plus,then things got real horrorshow.

# The Durango 95 purred through the streets real horrorshow.

My system will be a no-feedback system, so the EQ-tubes can be triode-wired like single-end and set up with no feedback for the best possible result?

I originally had looked at this circuit strictly for Tube use, as it has no looped feedback, works with only N-Channel devices and so on. The principle is really identical.

The higher impedances needed with tubes will increase noise and measured distortion will be higher.

I had no time so far to show the tube version.

I simmed one I had halve a mind to build a few years ago. This was with a 6072A (parallel) for the EQ and a 5687WB (parallel) "Eurydice" Style as second stage, a little reminiscent of Kondo's M10.

It was intended as Linestage with gain (around 4), volume on the input and gaintrim after the output transformer to be a tubed equivalent of the Cello Palette. Now if I can only find the time to build the darn thing.

Ciao T

ThorstenL,
What did you think of my highly doable economy version ideas at post 86?
It is based on the idea that regular means can do lovely bass, but your mids and treble are probably superior. . . so try to use both technologies focused to their best employment. You know, combine the strong points of both? Nitepro bass meets ZenEq mid and treble? Hooray!!!!

...I originally had looked at this circuit strictly for Tube use, as it has no looped feedback, works with only N-Channel devices and so on. The principle is really identical.

The higher impedances needed with tubes will increase noise and measured distortion will be higher.

I had no time so far to show the tube version.

I simmed one I had halve a mind to build a few years ago. This was with a 6072A (parallel) for the EQ and a 5687WB (parallel) "Eurydice" Style as second stage, a little reminiscent of Kondo's M10.

It was intended as Linestage with gain (around 4), volume on the input and gaintrim after the output transformer to be a tubed equivalent of the Cello Palette. Now if I can only find the time to build the darn thing.

I hope there will be time to draw and simulate the tubed version some time. My schedule do not need it until November-ish, the decision can wait until then.

The preamp will get some sort of input-loop for a EQ if needed.

If this was your setup with all tubes throughout the system, do you want to recommend solid state over tubes or the other way around?

Thanks!

-join-