Cartridge dynamic behaviour

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure on Ortofon. All my other MCs have the obligatory B&K chart plot. I'll ask someone who actually bought one new :)

Bill, I don’t believe it either.
High end Ortofon MC carts go for 10k$ on average.
Would they use a 6 month used test record for final checks ?
I don’t think so.
And why being seemingly so open on how to test their Carts and telling absolutely nothing about their own test record to a customer who has spend a lot of money on this very test record.

The answer is probably quite simple: they don’t want to get shot with their own weapons.

Hans

Speaking of this stuff in general is there any data on served market for things like $10,000 cartridges and $100,000 turntables? I have seen a few companies admit that the volume on their statement products are in the 5-10 units a year level.

There is a Swedish company SWAT making just an arm for 30k$.
This arm was tested by Stereophile as the best one ever.
Because of this test, the arm was sold more than a hundred times in two years time and is now succeeded by a slightly cheaper and an even more expensive version.

Since Stereophile is also very charmed by 10k$+ Lyra and Ortofon Carts, I would expect that alone for this arm it will already be 50/50 Lyra and Ortofon.
To my feeling, most buyers are US citizens.
In Europe there is hardly a a market for such extravaganza.

Hans

Very good thread

I am interested on the tests on MC cartridges.
In Audioreview magazine in Italy we sometimes test them and also the step up trafos.
My collegue Marco is the most advanced "tester" that I know ( and suppose around the world).
He own 102 pcs of MC cartridges and all Lyra models (fantastic stuff); he use the EMT927 with two arms 12" Ikeda with around 20 different step up trafo.

Bye

Walter

No
It is a happy man!!!
He as thousands of LP
And lives close to the Opera Theatre of Roma.
And in last Munich fair demonstrate in a stand of Nagra a concept about connection between MC and step upo.
Together we have published an article in Audioreview magazines with some considerations and mesuraments.

Walter

No
It is a happy man!!!
He as thousands of LP
And lives close to the Opera Theatre of Roma.
And in last Munich fair demonstrate in a stand of Nagra a concept about connection between MC and step upo.
Together we have published an article in Audioreview magazines with some considerations and mesuraments.

Walter

Could you post a pdf of that Audioreview article ?

Hans

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
That is your opinion. But I don't see anyone on here saying 'I wish I had 100 more cartridges'. Even 10* is considered an excess.

*And yes I have more than 10.

Hi Bill,

If this was a reply to me I would like to apologize if I offended you. I should have known better than to try to be funny on a forum.

I knew that you had several cartridges and was just thinking where the limit was.

I will go into lurk mode again.

Cheers,
Mogens

The passion, and the Hifi is a passion, hasn't rules.
Under certain point of view I would like to have a lot of MC but also (maybe) I am in trouble to make, sometimes, a choice which is the best to listen.
In every case I don't consider it as obsession.
In additon the Technics staff from Japan ask to Audioreview to make a listen session of the SP10 R new version in a Marco's house ( there is also a review) and they came in Roma.

Walter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.