Capacitor audibility: fact or fiction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dan, one very successful cap in audio is the Reliable RT polystyrene cap for values up to 0.5uF, like what would be used for phono eq, power supply bypass, etc. If you ever get ahold of one, you can hit it with your fingernail or drop in on a hard surface, and it will go 'dunk' instead of 'ding' like so many caps of the same value. This is because the TIN damps the cap significantly, and it is tightly wrapped. It is one of the world's best audio caps. Proven by multiple sources who use it. Not cheap, but cheaper than many inferior caps.

Doug20, by "accurate" I was referring to sonic accuracy in terms of what-goes-in-is-what-comes-out, not tolerance or anything like that. Anybody who's followed my blather over the years knows I'm a measurement freak, but I'm also convinced that zero-error electronics are often beaten by electronics with some carefully applied response shaping and other imperfections.

Thanks John. Any recommendations for ones used in loudspeakers--oh and low cost options?

Speaker Doc, scroll down the page on the last link--there's more and it's more interesting. By the "got you covered" I just meant I was aware of the research as evidenced by the second post in the thread.

Dan

Dan, one very successful cap in audio is the Reliable RT polystyrene cap for values up to 0.5uF, like what would be used for phono eq, power supply bypass, etc. If you ever get ahold of one, you can hit it with your fingernail or drop in on a hard surface, and it will go 'dunk' instead of 'ding' like so many caps of the same value. This is because the TIN damps the cap significantly, and it is tightly wrapped. It is one of the world's best audio caps. Proven by multiple sources who use it. Not cheap, but cheaper than many inferior caps.

The RTX polystyrene/tin series is also very good. Goes up to 3.0 uF. A 3 and a 2 to make 5 uF worked out well with a Scanspeak 99000 tweeter. Available from Michael Percy.

I am not a cap source. However, we have found that Rel polypropylene are very good. There may be several others, but I found that Asian, low cost film caps do not sound as good in my best designs. I do not know specifically why this is so, but I have lost listening comparisons using them.

I'm beating the dead horse along with others here but here I go! :p

I hear sometimes bold and sometimes vague differences of electrolytic caps of different brands but the same values, caps of different materials etc.

The points I want to make are, voltage rating determines how much volume passes through, in my experience anyway, and oddly electrolytic sound very good where as in preamp circuits, they're a poor choice for fidelity.

Comparing electrolytic to polypropylene to ceramic, the electrolytic has the finest resolution. The sharpest, most defined highs. Depending on the speaker, it can sound very good or very bad.

A 1 pole 12 position rotary switch with a variety of cap types and values would surely be the best option. A change of flavor is always nice!

That site tried to plant a virus. Don't go there.

This one didn't:

YouTube - Brown 25 (from Uranus)

I went to the original site but my virus protection didn't detect anything unusual.

The link you gave was a hoot! I couldn't help but recall that same scene many time when walking my dog and having to scoop it up. Nice spoof.

Some total idiot in I think the June Elektor showed how to build an inexpensive accelerometer and a shaker table out of an old woofer.

I then showed how microphonic capacitors can be. When used in a crossover inside a box it is not just capacitor construction that matters but also mounting.

Some units showed vibration induced output less than 30 db down from the signal. I would expect you to hear that in a crossover.

Others had less response but most units make it clear in use such as a phono preamp vibration induced voltages need to be considered.

You can actually use some ceramic capacitors as a pick-up!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.