Cabinet materials - why not more diversity?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
7V said:
So, EC8010, I gather that there's aluminium on the inside and outside with foam in the wall. Is that right?

Also, what do you use for drive-units and how does it sound?

By the way, how near London and which direction?

Yes, you have that right. The cabinet is denser than you. You will be pleased to learn that it was designed for a Jordan JX92 (you probably guessed that from the volume). 7N7 has made his, but my projects run at a geological pace, so I haven't made mine yet. I thought 7N7s sounded good enough for me to commit money to the idea.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi EC8010, I bet they look very cool :cool:

I just thought I would share my experences of this style of construction as i tried it when I was building the bottom end boxes for my current system.

My boxes use the same sort of curved back, only with a solid wood front. I used bendy MDF for the curved walls, and then filled them with expanding builders foam as you did.

However, I was unsatisfied with the sound of the boxes, and when I dismantled them for a rebuild, I found voids in the fill, some as big as 40 or 50mm across, and areas where the foam had barely expanded and was very solid. From this experience I hypothesise that you have to be very careful when filling to both avoid any trapped air, and get an even distribution of the foam to avoid the consistency problems I had.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
pinkmouse said:
From this experience I hypothesise that you have to be very careful when filling to both avoid any trapped air, and get an even distribution of the foam to avoid the consistency problems I had.

Sadly, you are right on the money there. That's exactly what 7N7 complained about on his first attempt at filling. I wondered if it was a chemical reaction between the aluminium and the foam, but if you had the same problem with MDF that seems unlikely.

Harman Kardon Soundsticks

I think this is some kind of acrylic.

:)ensen.

Attachments

• hk soundsticks.jpg
    hk soundsticks.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 382
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
purplepeople said:
But it looks a lot the sub uses a sealed box for the forward firing wave and a rear ported horn in combination with it.

Tricky. I magnified it, and it looked like an X-rayed condom. More seriously, it looks like a horn feeding a reflex port. Goodness only knows what that is supposed to do, but I suspect that your comment, "I only saw them at a computer store," says all that is necessary...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Distributed Mode Loudspeakers have their problems, there's a thread on this forum about them.

It's as well to make it quite clear that the illustration shown is a photograph of the NXT loudspeakers, but the images of woofer and tweeter are just that. Printed images on the cardboard.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EC8010 said:
I'm not clear about your acrylic example. Is it a horn from the back of the drivers? It's difficult to tell what it is from the (necessarily limited resolution) picture.

The "Jellyfish" subwoofer was designed by Harkon Kardon to aid the bottom on the iMac (rev E & up) that have the 25mm FR (JBL)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/iBall/index.html]more info & waterfalls[/URL] )

The one pictured above is the Harmon version (larger woofer), and an array of 4 of 25 mm FR.

dave

Attachments

• isubs.jpg
    isubs.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 276
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.