Burson Vivid V6 ~ Shell

@adason
The rapid change of the test OPAs alone is a problem, because humans only have a very short hearing memory when it comes to the finest nuances.
Thus, you would need two completely identical amplifiers that are also tested for equality. They also have to be adjusted volume-wise meticulously the same.
Then you would have the possibility to switch quickly and that would even be a condition for an ABX test.
Almost no one has as a HiFi hobbyist two identical amplifiers lying around. It remains therefore with the successive listening and the OPAs one exchanges as a rule also itself - not even in this respect it is a blind test.

You swap one side of a stereo unit and compare the 2 sides in mono. The excuses are endless, the real one is "I can't admit my hearing isn't as good as I think, it must be as good as all the other people on the internet that SAY they can hear (place your audiophool myth here).

Thank you FritzS but the Magz's screenshots were crystal clear to where i should do the solder work (pins) i'll pick the the caps suggestion btw, wanna try them all honestly so more suggestions means more tests ;) P.S proud akg712 owner (some tips? :D)

The C0G ceramics I used under the V6 are Digikey part# 445-4801-ND.
Another good choice would be .1uF WIMA FKP3 100V film and foil types.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I like the sound of OPA1656. I think I know why, as it has dominant second harmonic (albeit low overall THD) plus it can drive 100mA. I agree with Adason, when I put an ABX switch box on amp or speakers and level match precisely. It’s almost impossible to tell in the short term test unless it was a very bad or different type of amp or speaker.

But long term, days to week and listen to 200 tracks. You definitely can tell which one you prefer.

I also listen to amps for a good week or two before measuring them so I don’t give myself measurement and expectation bias.

Having said that, I am curious what the Burson sounds like. Most of my gear has SOIC-8 SMT pads - not meant for swapping opamps but I want to install a DIP8 socket on the SMT pad.

Is there a DIP to SOIC (on the PCB) adapter? I have looked and can’t find one.

I usually use a +/- …The caps I've listed should work well for any opamp.

The topology can make a different decoupling scheme work better, it isn’t always the way you’ve described, just most of the time. Some op amps actually work better with only a +/- cap.

I agree regarding long term listening vs short term, definitely separates the chaff from the wheat!

One question for the experts here,

I would like to know if it's possible to replace a single opamp with a dual opamp on the AE9
Let's say i would like to test the OPA1656 on all the inputs, is it possible or there may be some problems with it?
soundblaster-ae9.png

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member

Attachments

• 44EF3AE1-E89C-479D-AFA2-AD57E0B7C545.jpg
    44EF3AE1-E89C-479D-AFA2-AD57E0B7C545.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 94
  • ED84915A-7751-49B8-BBEB-766157BFA17C.jpg
    ED84915A-7751-49B8-BBEB-766157BFA17C.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thank you for the pictures, so it's actually possible with some work.
Is it possible to buy those boards?
is XRKAudio the Johfland's company?
XRKAudio | Etsy

Jhofland is one the best electrical circuit designers on DIYA and I make and sell many of his designs in my shop. We collaborate together on a lot of projects. Many of them commercial products.