Burning Amp Is November 9 & 10, 2019!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hotels.com has Marina Inn at $85/night Friday thru Monday, and Motel Capri at $149. Both are within a half mile of Fort Mason.

-Tom-

I looked and from the reviews that I saw, no thanks. I don't need to stay in the St Regis, but basic chain places are usually OK. Since I'm travelling standby if I come I'll leave it until the last minute to decide. It'll depend on the chances of getting a seat on the plane, and likely loads coming back.

Another question though, how does one travel with a heavy tube amp? I have trouble just lifting it never mind carrying it through an airport, or even on a wheeled vehicle you still need to lift it. And how does TSA treat this stuff, with an array of Russian military parts?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Another question though, how does one travel with a heavy tube amp?

On an airline? You don’t.

Ship it to the hotel you are staying at and ship it back home from there. Pack as if it will need to survive a 6 foot drop onto concrete, because it will. “Fragile” on the outside of a package will result it in being intentionally thrown. The only label the shipping people respect on a package is “Glass”.

After you look at retail shipping rates, you’ll be glad to leave it at home. :rolleyes:

On an airline? You don’t.

Ship it to the hotel you are staying at and ship it back home from there. Pack as if it will need to survive a 6 foot drop onto concrete, because it will. “Fragile” on the outside of a package will result it in being intentionally thrown. The only label the shipping people respect on a package is “Glass”.

After you look at retail shipping rates, you’ll be glad to leave it at home. :rolleyes:

That's what I thought. I couldn't imagine traveling with such a thing but of course people bring equipment to BA. Even going to local DIY meets back when there were still a few around here it was a PITA to move stuff.

2 questions for Sunday.
- Will the Linkwitz speaker setup available for listening on Sunday too? I am confused by the agenda mentioning them on Saturday. Or maybe it is just about setting them up?
- I'll have to bring my 7 year old daughter with me since nobody else is home. Will she have to pay?

Looking forward to this!

Flight loads to SFO are looking good for a standby passenger at this point. Lots of available seats. As I've learned though things can change quickly on that front. I'll get myself listed so I'm at least in line. Then I'll look at hotels next week and see if anything is open. I want to get a good day of bicycling in too. I'm going to look for a decent road bike to rent. Maybe I'll also go up to Seattle where I once lived and spend a day or two, that'll depend on flight loads which I haven't checked.

Retirement is good when you can go anywhere you want at the drop of a hat.

It’s San Francisco. Hotels are expensive. I’m not wild about it either but sometimes the proper decision is just suck it up, spend the money, and enjoy the trip.

A "cheap" hotel in San Francisco seems to be around the $180-200/night mark. Last year and this year, I've found rooms at the Holiday Inn (which I would not characterize as cheap) for around that. There are less expensive options, but the reviews are not flattering.

Flights aren't cheap either. Thankfully, a friend of mine flies for United, so I'll be flying standby for roughly 40% of the cost of an economy class ticket.

Oh, well. I enjoyed the event last year, so I'll go again. I'll also take the opportunity to meet up with some friends from university whom I haven't seen in 15 years. Good times will be had.

Also: I should be able to present a headphone amp for you during Sunday's extravaganza. The chassis has arrived and the PCBs will be here by Tuesday (says FedEx). Coming down to the wire here! Hopefully it works well. :)

Tom

My wife is having cataract surgery on the 7th, so no BA for me. Last year was my first visit. Lots of interesting project and the chance to put faces with some of the names.
I made quite a few photos of people and exhibits, Tom being one of them, along with Jim doing the monster mash pose in audience.
Hopefully next year.
Regards to all and enjoy.
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.