Building with the Soekris dam1121

soekris DAM1121 Master Clock SiLab

Hi,

build succesfully the dam1121 in balanced mode exactly like the schematic in the manual, works very well with SDIF and I2S input signals.

Currently upgrating to tehe Master Clock Silab 570bac000112dg as posted by soekris. The Silab is not available in single pieces, always have to buy 50 pieces.

So now:

How is the dam1121 checking with I2C that and what the Silab570 is connected, more flexibility for the firmware to use different Silab with different starting frequencies would be realy great

Question: What Silab570 is working, could get a 570BAA000112DG and will this work?

Other option:

Best regards from Germany

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,

build succesfully the dam1121 in balanced mode exactly like the schematic in the manual, works very well with SDIF and I2S input signals.

Currently upgrating to tehe Master Clock Silab 570bac000112dg as posted by soekris. The Silab is not available in single pieces, always have to buy 50 pieces.

So now:

How is the dam1121 checking with I2C that and what the Silab570 is connected, more flexibility for the firmware to use different Silab with different starting frequencies would be realy great

Question: What Silab570 is working, could get a 570BAA000112DG and will this work?

Other option:

Best regards from Germany

The dam1121 check if external Si570 oscillator is present, if so it will use it and disable the internal oscillators.

The dam1121 is picky on the Si570, it need to be 3.3V LVDS, I2C address 0x55, startup clock 10 Mhz, OE Polarity active high, and it can't be the 20 ppm stability version....

You can look up p/n at http://www.silabs.com/tools/pages/utilityintro.aspx

570BAA000112DG is fine.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Sören,

when will the dam1121-01 be available again in the european shop?

Thanks

No specific timeline, the dam1121 is not selling that well so it's low priority. If somebody order qtys I will quickly make more of the dam1121-01, but I don't want to bind working capital in stock, the -01 is kinda expensive with all the 0.01% resistors....

I was expecting somebody to make complete DAC's using the dam1121, either commercial products or diy carrier board. But that have not happened.

Dam1121 motherboard

No specific timeline, the dam1121 is not selling that well so it's low priority. If somebody order qtys I will quickly make more of the dam1121-01, but I don't want to bind working capital in stock, the -01 is kinda expensive with all the 0.01% resistors....

I was expecting somebody to make complete DAC's using the dam1121, either commercial products or diy carrier board. But that have not happened.

Soeren, made a semiprofessional motherboard for the dam1131 in balanced mode, just testing, works for 99%, a few bugs still needs to be adressed,
not critical, designed in Eagle PCB, if interest could share some pictures and the files. Best regards

Attached the motherboard pictures for 2 x DAM1121 from soekris, designed as a reference DAC.

10 add on board as options:

- Analog Power Supplies with low noise shunts (5 add on boards)
- RS232 Interface with self designed interface boards (2 add on boards)
- Amanero Interface for USB (1 add on board)
. 2 soekris dam1121 (known shown, but you see the Samtec conntectrs

Basic design

- 6 Analog powers for the soekris dam1121, left and right side completely separated
- Digital Power Supply (TRACO) only for the ATMEGA32 controller and Display
- Galvanic Isolation
- RS232 Interface with self designed interface boards
- Amanero Interface for USB

Display board not down, will publish picture later if needed

This is a SMD Board, not easy for DIY, Schottky Rectifier on the back of the board, designed in EAGLE PVB and manufactured by multi PCB, two sides only.

Board is 99% working but still in development, known bugs:

- Master Slave RS232 communication - see wires on the bottom
- Silab570 Master clock still missing, will be added if slab is delivered
- 2 ISO 7220 Isolator are to slow for the Amanero serial stream, will be upgraded as soon as delivered new faster ISO's, pin compatible)
- Low noise board are from a friend in Saudi Arabia
Board will be updated to version 1.1 in about 4 weeks after final testing

Attached the big resolution pictures

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    966.9 KB · Views: 584
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    792.3 KB · Views: 544
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG