• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building parafeed EL84 DC 2A3 amp

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Somehow my 801a's that I have are sensitive like hell...I had to remove power transformer from the chassis. Kinda soured me to the 801a. Perhaps I should try it again now that I have a bit more experience.
Each old DH tube sensitive to the vibrations, some more, some less ... but all of them requires vibration damping.
dsc01134.1.jpg F18B4F0E-8A8D-4E14-B186-947339655ED9.jpg

As you can see in my 801 preamp, I always use separated box for PSU/s/ and preamp.
The tube sockets is in the subplate, decoupled from the top with rubber isolators/vibration dampers (they are dimly visible on the black top plate).

subschassis and top cover web.jpg .

Attachments

• vibration.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: 1 users
To try out an SE design, I have taken a push-pull transformer and placed B+ voltage at the center-tap of its primary. 1/2 of the winding went to the tube's plate, and the other half went to a constant current source set to the same current as the tube draws. That arrangement canceled out the magnetic field in the transformer's core, and since the constant current source has a load impedance in the megohms, it did not load down the tube. This eliminated the capacitor and the choke in the original design. That arrangement also allowed for the use of a smaller, non-gapped transformer.
egellings, would be interesting if you could post up yr circuit diagram which was used for this arrangement. im currently working on trying to use dissimilar devices (ie. tube & mosfet) with a push pull output transfo. thank you

Reactions: 1 user
The SV83 Maximum Screen Voltage is 200V.
The EL84 Maximum Screen Voltage is 300V.

Can anybody tell us what the Maximum Suppressor Grid Voltage is for the SV83?
Yes, I thought so, no answer.

Perhaps the Hazen mod (no DC connection to the Suppressor Grid), when applied to a SV83 works OK, perhaps Not OK.
But the purpose of Power Pentode's Suppressor Grids has Always been to Capture Secondary Electrons that come off the Plate.
The fact that some designers choose to use the Suppressor Grid for another purpose is up to them (Their Mileage May Vary).

A floating Suppressor Grid can not continuously collect Secondary Electrons (there will be secondary electrons), then pass them off to a 0.1uF capacitor.
When will the voltage of the Suppressor Grid and the capacitor stop changing (perhaps not stop changing)?
What is the range of voltage on the Suppressor Grid over time; it sounds like a case of Uncertainty to me.
It is like causing the suppressor to become a Modulator Grid, with no known results.

I was very reluctant to Suppress my opinion of the Hazen Mod, it all seems too Hazy to me (puns intended).

Marketing Died. Marketing came back to life. Long Live Marketing!

Last edited: