Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
bakpaosiomay said:
salas.
what color of led do you use.
can i use 1n4148 instead led?
do you have any tips on building b1 buffer?
like which parts need to match, etc.
can i use other type mosfet instead irfp240 and irfp9240?
thanks before.

Green.

No, because you will need too many, the pads on the pcb aren't enough, and the noise will go up.

No special tips. Just use top quality 220R resistors.

Yes you can, but better keep it a TO-240 case if you want to avoid sinks.

Salas said:
I for one don't intend to make a balanced B1 anytime soon.

Salas,
Sorry to hear that :( I guess you do not play with headphones much.

jean-paul said:

Not being an experienced person concerning balanced gear I would say that you can use 2 x symmetric B1 for balanced use.

Jean-paul,

Thanks, I guess that is my only option. However, I might consider other options before I settle for this.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The layout will be redrawn but it will take time. I can not promise anything but I would like to see a complete solution including muting, volume potentiometer etc. otherwise it would not make sense for me to build it.

Just a question: do you want such a PCB or would the current version be enough ?

jean-paul said:
The layout will be redrawn but it will take time. I can not promise anything but I would like to see a complete solution including muting, volume potentiometer etc. otherwise it would not make sense for me to build it.

Just a question: do you want such a PCB or would the current version be enough ?

If you're designing a pcb with volume pot, mute relais, etc, it would be nice to add one or more relais for input switching.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If a total preamplifier concept, with relay input switching, muting, control circuit psu etc. is the thing that understandably many people need, why not make it as a modules accepting motherboard. So someone can add a lightspeed volume, or a normal volume of several pot quality and size, or a different line stage with some gain just because it is needed in a certain system. Or just because something new came along and want to check it out. Space to play in other words. It could be made so to accept the current Crt B1 module with pins instead of short cable even. Anyway, for those that the current module is all they need as a one input standalone or a part of a wired up preamp with several inputs, switches, and everything, you can email me to send you the full files, to personally make or offer in a group buy even.

Salas

Greetings from a new guy.
I agree with the modular approach. While personally I would aim for the 'full monty', I think that it would be a monumental task to satisfy everyone as to the 'perfect' solution to input selection, volume control, gain/no gain, etc. Each one of these topics could well give rise to extensive forum topics on their own.
It would be great to get the full pics online from you, as this forum does not allow new guys to email the other members before 'burning in' with a few posts of our own.
Keep up the good (and interesting) work, guys.

My contribution to the topic.
Please tell me what is correct or not.
For the metal film R, I've suggested only .25W values, maye it's not enough...
Let me know, I'll post new versions.

Thanks for the great job ! :cool:

Attachments

• b1 symetric bom prerc1.0.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,350