Building a large curved ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have reworket over 10pr of ML panels.....9"wide by 48" 12"X48" 16"x48...I run New bias feeds up both sides... get 1-2db more out put... ..i use Aluminum feeds on the panels...just tape the feed wire under an over an tape down.....

ML uses only one feed ....on the right side.. the right speaker had less output from day one......Justsaying
.But thay did like to sale new panels.....now thay get $1900......to $2500....Nuts....people just try to sale now...
ML panels only the top an bottem are glued ....but i Never glue them back....i just put tape on each side at the top an botten....
So i can get to them for clening....after a year you have lost 1-2db output from dust.....you can get all back if you can get to the mylar an clean.....if you cant ..... only wash...some times it works ....an not so much...

All just one mans finding......

Great looking Panel!.....thanks for the pic.....good luck

Last edited:
Shower is for the panels that are just pulled out of the speakers by the owner......so yes Shower bouth sides.....an thay may get better output...thay have not much to lose....if thay lose output...
i pull the panels a part so i can get to the mylar....that the front of the mylar only......glass cleaner works great for me......the ML mylar has a cotaing gos in to the mylar......just cleaning mylar well get them working agine.... most of the time
i well only pay vary littel for the ML speakers......the mylar can rip.. then there just parts.....so as not to lose $$.......$100. is the top paid......
Look when one panels gos week...as is the case on most older ML.....owner can just keep them for how thay look....pay me are others to put there new panels thay get from ML....for big $$....all panels start at about $2k. for the pr.....most dont spend the $$...thay try to sale....but the word is out on the ML panels cost.....so after thay set an are looking at them not working an no one well buy.....thay wont them out.....these are not small speakers....
hay this works for me............

Pic...1 this is not Coating coming off... an these panels had been showerd minny times......it crued an dust an you name it...
Geting to the mylar makes a big diff in the sound....
the ML coating in in the mylar......like used in making polly caps....

Attachments

• 2008_0716self_pics0319_small[1].JPG
    2008_0716self_pics0319_small[1].JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 428
The way ML just lays the Red bias feed wire in the panels....it can just fall out!
so its tuff call on the stock panels cleaning..... if one panel is has less output you feel you have nothing to lose....just taking the SL3 rals off can pull this wire out..if the wire come out some times you can put it back .... some time not....the bias feed wire in not solder to the feed in the panel.....an using things like 409 well turn the copper green....an can loose contack....
But i well say when i get the ML panels re-worket....some of the best sound i ever had out of a none flat esl panel......SPL gos way up an the bass driver alines better ..... 60 watt tube amp can drive them to full output of SL3 Ascent Odyssey all have same type panels.... Ascent i an Odyssey have the
same panels................good luck

An theres the rube...............
pinpoint imaging well work with two panels but unlike flat...................the imaging well be a littel Biger.... some say too big an to much added dalay....to the sound..
This well help....run a 1"-11/2" peace of tape across the top back.....
leve open....just from side to side .....this well give much better imaging....sounds nuts... but makes any new ML with the so called all open air frame sound so much better....peace of tape can make are brake the sound of a $20k speaker... gofig
i am play my smaller 9"wide curved panls...some ganes for sure..................
keep up the good work

Last edited:
This well help....run a 1"or biger peace of tape across the back at the top of the panel...
1/2 down from the top.....
leve open the top....just from side to side ....
hehe
ML put a fixet peace across the back up nere the top for years on all there speakers but the CLS....

This well help....run a 1"-11/2" peace of tape across the top back.....leve open....just from side to side .....this well give much better imaging....sounds nuts... but makes any new ML with the so called all open air frame sound so much better

ML put a fixet peace across the back up nere the top for years on all there speakers but the CLS....

Are you talked about the brace at the top of the frame? (see pic)
You are saying that you have found this affects the imaging?

If your panel doesn't have the brace, you are suggesting a piece of tape in the same position will have a similar affect on imaging?

Attachments

• ML_brace.jpg
    ML_brace.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 463
Hi,

thanks for clearing this up.
I actually thought You were suggesting a long small strip of tape tacked in vertical direction onto the panel back-stator.
Placed from top to bottom of the panel in the middle or just slightly off-axis it sure would make a difference.

In the case here though, the brace is intended for stability reasons.
I did similar on my panels and never measured or heard a acoustical difference between the older non-braced Panels and the newer braced ones.
So I ather doubt that such a small covered strip of the membrane area could be able to change the distribution character.
Well then the brace I used didn´t cover active membrane area.
The brace used in the ML Prodigy doesn´t cover the membrane either.

jauu
CAlvin

Well if i had not done this i would not have posted what a Big diff it made on the sound!............. By the way if you wont better mid-bass just drop the tape lower on the panel....it like tuneing the panels...
i have had over 10pr of ML here....the Ascent i,Odyssey......this brace can be pulled out an put back ezely
.After all its not like am saying to bild a brace.....were talking tape.
I have done this on ML summitXs,Vantages.....one peace of tape on ea. speaker ....
As i posted made the speaker focus an image much better........two places were the Crved panels need help, most think if thay have heard a flat ESL panel....

Onlike others.... i am NOt Saleing anything!
But THanks for you taken the time to tell us not to wast time....you dont have to do the mod you just No.....hehe..... good luck with that

Last edited:
Hi,

Welcome, and thanks for Your appreciation of me trying to help people wasting their time with successful tuning. ;)
No one is hindered to place some tape on his panels.
It´s a cheap, quick and reversible test.
If the strips are positioned around the height of the ear-axis, they certainly will affect the outcome, similar as felt, mesh or any other material.
The further one positions the strips off of the ear-axis (or on-axis) the lower the effect will be.
What You spoke of were "Big diff" of a small strip at the top end of panels exhibiting cylindrical distribution character.
I simply doubted - and still doubt- the claimed "Big" difference.
Turning the panels just by a degree or putting a plant behind the panel will affect more.

jauu
Calvin

ps. I´m in no doubt that the implication of "Onlike others.... i am NOt Saleing anything!" is located right in the middle of the triangle ´childish naive´, ´utterly rubbish´ and ´plain insult´. :mad:

Last edited:
OK, I had some time to modify the stretching jig by using small strips of elastic material screwed to plastic, then only a small amount of (inflexible) shipping tape needs to be used...and it did the trick. :)

This time there if far less horizontal stretch being applied, and far less hourglass effect once the Mylar is adhered to the tape. (the last one ended up being tightened like a drum that's tuned too high)

I still have to wait for some more help to line up and affix the front stator, but once I do, I think the Fs will be much lower and closer to what I had in mind in the first place.

If that turns out to be the case, then I'll be forced by my 'pickiness' to re-do the panel that's already assembled...:headbash::censored: I am not looking forward to that, but I have a good plan if need be...

I took a couple of pics so you can see what's going on:
If you look close at the third one, you'll see that there's much less hourglass effect, the other two are instructive as well (I think..:p)

cheers
-wreck

Attachments

• 20140807_1818581-11943156.jpg
    20140807_1818581-11943156.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 405
  • 20140809_1940311-40281178.jpg
    20140809_1940311-40281178.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 20140809_1941371-85000961.jpg
    20140809_1941371-85000961.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 398
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.