• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building a Aikido preamplifier

I've just been given a new power supply unit from a computer. Apparently something broke so the friend had it replaced and gave me the old.
I think it was just a fuse or resistor as he plugged it into 240 V when it was switched to 110V.

It's a good quality part with fan and many parts inside. Will have a further loook when I get home.

It has a 12 V DC outlet at 18 Amps (that seems too much)!! And 5 volts also. I will check them out.

Looking through the grill now, I see some regulators. Maybe many good parts I could use. I can't see or smell anything burnt.

Fan, led, switches also.:D :D :D :D
and many wires. I will open it up and check it out.

Brit,
I have been saving my old power supplies for years.........I must have 5 or 6 of 'em laying on a shelf in the garage. Please start a new thread when you build this one up. (into whatever)

Here is a link to a "How to" for building a "Lab" powersupply.
Linkky

Ron
Someday I'll build one too. :rolleyes: :smash:

That´s great info thks Ron. Is it worth using a variac to test the heaters?
Could be useful if I want to get 6.3V out of the 12 or out of the 5V.

I thought it was much more important with the B+ voltage.

Any ideas for a home made Variac for a 275V supply?

:xeye: :xeye:

I can´t afford to buy a variac here. They seem expensive.

?Olle: Did you test your B+ with the entire voltage on start up

Brit01 said:
Olle:Did you test your B+ with the entire voltage on start up
Yes I did! It's the way I usually do...

About the computer PSU: If you want to test the heaters, why don't you do it with your filament transformer?
By the way, it's a good idea to wire up and test the heaters before all other components!
Twin the heater wires, and put them away from the signal circuit. Corners are good!
I use to twin them with my drill machine :D

ollebolle said:

But why? Weren't you going to build Bas Hornemans aikido psu? It's a perfect psu for a Aikido! ;)

Agreed! The 6x5 rectifier tube comes on slow so if the voltage spikes way out of line.....say more than 350V you can turn off the power before any damage occurs. Just wire up the DVM and have a finger on the power switch.
Having said that a Variac is a great safety device.
Sorry they are so expensive there Brit. FleaBay?

Ron

Brit01 said:
That´s great info thks Ron. Is it worth using a variac to test the heaters?
Could be useful if I want to get 6.3V out of the 12 or out of the 5V.

I thought it was much more important with the B+ voltage.

Any ideas for a home made Variac for a 275V supply?

:xeye: :xeye:

I can´t afford to buy a variac here. They seem expensive.

?Olle: Did you test your B+ with the entire voltage on start up

Brit,
Here is one on UKEbay, I don't know the brand but the price is right!
UK
Ebay variac

Ron

Agreed! The 6x5 rectifier tube comes on slow so if the voltage spikes way out of line.....say more than 350V you can turn off the power before any damage occurs. Just wire up the DVM and have a finger on the power switch.

Good to know. I will do that.

Twin the heater wires, and put them away from the signal circuit. Corners are good!

Sorry what do you mean by Twin the heater wires?:confused: Twist you mean?

If you want to test the heaters, why don't you do it with your filament transformer?

Yes i will use my new transformers and with Bas's psu. Just thought that I could use the pc power supply board if I need to test the heaters with DC and not AC.
Also it may have a good regulator on it that I could use in case I decide to use DC.

Sorry they are so expensive there Brit. FleaBay?

Sorry Ron I'm in Uruguay. We have a ripoffbay called mercadolibre.com.uy.

No cheap deals. It's not really the same. I buy loads of stuff from the UK, but all light stuff that my parents can send. A variac is not really an option.

Brit,
Try cleaning them off with some steel wool or a scouring pad. Then use some flux prior to (de)soldering. I dunno, it may be you have a dirty iron too. Wipe the tip on a wet sponge.
If you use steel wool make sure there are no leftovers prior to powering it up!

Ron

I used my drilling machine

Did you use solid core for the heater cables? Easier to twist.
What diameter?

I managed to find the blown components on the pc power supply.
2 varisters.
241KD07
Totally burnt. These protected the other parts I guess.
Not sure if they are easy to get hold of here in Uruguay.

After some effort I managed to desolder them. Cleaned the joints very well with a fine wire brush, cleaned my iron tip (it's fairly new) and had to apply a lot of heat to get them lose.

Hi Lars!

It will be hum-free soon! When I come home :) I have been staying with my girlfriend for a couple of days, so nothing have been done with the amp ;)

I will make a good CRCRCRCRC supply, and then I'm sure it will be quiet :)
In fact it is almost quiet as it is now with my test-supply...