Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

Hi Bob,

I have several DIY amps including a F5, AlephJ, SKA, and never had any hum issues. I ground the amp PSU to the IEC ground through two reversed diodes and a 10R resistor in parralel. The amp boards are grounded to the PSU boards. I'm still waiting on parts to get around to my V3 build.

PJN

One more finished. My first SMD project and managed not to burn anything!
Of course soldering not so nice as others here, but it works.
Initially I thought I made a mistake or burned something, as I had the right voltages but no sound, but I only had to reflow some joints on Q2 and Q1.
Info here helped a lot.
Power supply regulator is a Salas reflector.
Sounding really nice right now!

Attachments

• IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    352.3 KB · Views: 375
If anyone is interested, there was a problem with the grounding of the Pass BA-3 amp. Fortunately another member had sorted it out and gave direction. A seperate problem totally unrelated to the V3 did develop but was also resolved.

You can read about it starting here and follow through to today's post if you think a V3-Pass combo is in your plans.

Correct. The other major change was putting all the grounds on the same star ground/bus. That was close to what I had but the two channels were done seperately (individual stars) without a unique connection back to earth. Still have the one MyRef to get hum free, and I suspect that will also center around a CL-60.

Just a note - Subbu/JP DAC sounding simply excellent with the definitively clean Pass amp. Working well together for about 3 hours. The lower mids are tight with the bottom being deep and well damped. There could be a little more top end shimmer, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming V3 cap upgrades to dial that in. But the stock build sounds really, really good to these ears. :)

I'm not recommending this for anyone on a safety basis - but I installed a two wire set on the current platform. I will most likely do the same for the final chassis that will essentially be double insulated - some use of wood/Plexiglas.

(As shown still needs heat shrink at receptacle.)

Attachments

• 20140101_203948.jpg
    20140101_203948.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 20140101_204011.jpg
    20140101_204011.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 295
What was your gun and technique Mr George?

I used an OKI PS-900 and 1,8mm chisel tip.
Difficult to solder was the regulators an Q2, were I had to use a JBC 15Watt with a very fine tip, in order to flow the solder. One solder point the time, while blowing and then wait the chip to cool down, in order to continue.
I also used a flux pen.
Magnifying glass of course and check every soldering point.