Build This MoFo!

your reading didn't do damage, but your setting did
Hmmm... I admit to not fully understanding your statement here. In measuring the voltage input to the board, a DC measurement would reveal the voltage level of the power supply and an AC measurement would reveal the PSU ripple that is superimposed on the DC voltage. How does using an AC setting on the meter cause things to go up in smoke, presuming there is no other wiring error? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Sometimes it's best to call it a day, leave it alone for a little while, and start over again. Double check EVERYTHING and compare to the schematic several times before applying power. A backward cap would certainly explain the escape of the magic smoke. The good think is that this circuit is very simple and the parts count is low. You'll get it!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, it still needs some tidying up. Plan to put in the NP 2022 Front End, redo the MeanWell HLG-480H-24 power supply input (a filter and longer cord) and it needs a front panel as well as cut an appropriate top to keep little hands out. I noticed the temporary top aluminum cover helped dissipate a fair bit of heat from the chassis. It runs pretty hot at 55 C. Not a summer amp in Sacramento for sure. Okay, here are the photos:
IMG_2506.jpg
IMG_2503.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
New MoFo greenhorn here…

For S&Gs (sources and gates :clown: ), I want to try some 2SK134s with the boards I just got.

The sinks are undersized, but I will have fans blowing on them for testing.

I will be using 19.5VDC laptop bricks and big MOTs.

Does the attached picture check out for the board connections?

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    637.6 KB · Views: 148
Not sure what I did wrong, but I ended up cooking the gate resistor. :deerman:

Backing off for now and will sleep on it.
Hi Marc

Not sure you can drive LatFet with this circuit without modifications. FYI, there’s a more recent version of this PCB (v1.1) that has the zener diode protection. See here Slowdiyer.

Hope it’s easy to troubleshoot, let’s follow Ben’s recommendations.

Eric

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Burned gate resistor? Maybe parasitic oscillation. Gate/Base/Grid resistors need to be very close to the active device itself (the closer the better), not on a pcb unless the two are very close together. Hopefully your FET is not shorted / defective.

Attachments

• gate resistor.jpg
    gate resistor.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 103
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks, gents. I’m not sure what it was, but the latfet wasn’t agreeing with the setup.

At first I thought it was a loose connection on the inductor. I fixed that, jumpered the gate resistor pads on the board, and connected a new resistor at the fet gate.

Same result. Gate resistor smoked.

So I replaced the gate resistor on the board, attached the correct IRFP250 to a test heatsink and soldered it to the board.

No smoke. My inductor measured 60mH and 0.6R previously. 1.02V measured at the inductor produced audible distortion, so I dialed up the bias until the distortion went away. That was right about 1.4V.

The sink was getting up to 60C without a fan, so I turned the fan on. Sink staying under 40C.

It’s been running fine with my test speaker. It sounds pretty clean. I’ll use the latfets for something else. :fight:

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: 2 users
ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thank you Mr. MR for an elegant design. It was fun to create a case for this mofo….24v @ 2.5a

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    550 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2334.jpeg
    IMG_2334.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2339.jpeg
    IMG_2339.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 71979047825__7339D256-2E55-423C-A2DD-22DDACE415C7.jpeg
    71979047825__7339D256-2E55-423C-A2DD-22DDACE415C7.jpeg