Build a Hypex, SMPS or trafo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
acousticimagery said:
Jan-Peter

Thanks for that.

While I have your attention! Just one more question.

Have you had any feedback yet from the early customers of SMPS400's as to the sound quality of using these compared to the conventional transformer/HG psu set up?

Regards

John

I'm also quite interested in critical listening impressions comparing the SMPS vs linear Hypex supplies. Perhaps the SMPSupplies have not been available long enough yet for those comparisons to be made, but if anyone has any input on the possible sonic differences (better yet the real ones, or lack of them!) please post.

I'm planing on building UcD based amps to power three B&W 302 Matrix series speakers (plus a second later build to power surrounds) for use in mastering my surround recordings. I've planned on a single UcD400 per speaker and though I would prefer individual monoblocks, I figured I would need to build a three channel amp with a single large transformer to keep the cost in budget. If there is no real sonic trade-offs with using the SMPS then I could build them as monoblocks within budget. I could possibly even upgrade to UcD700s.

Regards,
Lee

..I'm planing on building UcD based amps to power three B&W 302 Matrix series 3 speakers (plus a second later build to power surrounds) for use in mastering my surround recordings. I've planned on a single UcD400 per speaker and though I would prefer individual monoblocks, I figured I would need to build a three channel amp with a single large transformer to keep the cost in budget. If there is no real sonic trade-offs with using the SMPS then I could build them as monoblocks within budget. I could possibly even upgrade to UcD700s.
Lee

I'm still mulling over the options and have yet to go ahead with this. Anyone familiar with these speakers have thoughts on how much Hypex amplification is appropriate for my application? Setup is mid-field'ish, approximately 7'~8' from listening position. Transparency, imaging and sufficient headroom are primary concerns for making good mastering decisions, while keeping the build costs down is a necessary reality, pushing me towards the SMPS route. I had considered passively bi-amping each speaker with 2x UcD180 off a single supply --or-- 1x UdD400 for bass + 1x UcD400 for mid&highs (in which case I believe it would not be possible to use a single SMPS as the rail voltage requirements are different), but both those options would be more costly than a single UcD700 & supply per speaker so I'm thinking the bi-amp idea is out.

That leaves me wondering if a single UcD400 + SMPS 400/67 per speaker would be sufficient or if I should hold off a bit and use UcD700's once the SMPS 1200 becomes available.

I'll probably build the amps for the three front channels into a single case. The obvious solution is to build them as three independent mono-blocks with separate supplies in one case. That is straight forward enough. In an effort to further reduce cost I have a few more questions on the possibility of instead using a single, larger shared supply:

As I understand it, the Hypex SMPS modules may be sufficient as supplied for powering two amp modules, but probably not three. Can I just increase the capacitance on the supply to support three amp modules or is it also a matter of insufficient board connections?

Am I correct in understanding that I can not instead substitute a single, larger shared SMPS because the output voltage of the supplies would be too high for the amp modules? (for instance using a single SMPS 1200 to power 3 x UcD400, or a single SMPS 3000 to power 3 x UcD700)?

Thanks.

Smps400/49 & ucd180hg v2

Hello Jan-Peter,

I have 2 UCD180HG V2 modules and one SMPS400/49.
Are these UCD's already prepared for the higher supply voltage of 49 V
(very close to the max. indicated 50V for UCD180HG).

I can't find where I have read which version was modified the SMPS.

One a side note, any news on the progress of the high end DSP ?

Thanks,

Edwin

Hello Jan-Peter,

I have 2 UCD180HG V2 modules and one SMPS400/49.
Are these UCD's already prepared for the higher supply voltage of 49 V
(very close to the max. indicated 50V for UCD180HG).

I can't find where I have read which version was modified the SMPS.

One a side note, any news on the progress of the high end DSP ?

Thanks,

Edwin

Please contact Frank (support@hypex.nl) for this questions. He will give you advise.

We are still working on the High End DSP, due to some other import projects it's more delayed as we want. But plannign si still to have this available later this year.

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter: Will there be an smps1200 to use as a power supply for a five channel UcD180 setup?

No...., take the SMPS 400 / 49. The SMPS 400 can do > 600W short time power. Plenty of power for a 5 channel systems. If you like more power go for two SMPS 400....

To use a 1200W SMPS is really an overkill!

However we will have a SMPS 1200 for the UcD400, the design is ready for production. We expect to have stock early 2010.

Jan-Peter

I have a question about the SMPS's as powersupply's as well.

Im using an SMPS 400/67 to drive two UCD400HG's.

The results are really good, and I will upgrade to HxR12 later to get the best out of it.

My question is: Will there be any benefit to adding electrolytic capacitors after the SMPS, before each amplifier (something like 10.000uF for each channels positive and negative supply)

I'm thinking it could be a good idea to have an "energy reserve" in the capacitors, and then the SMPS would recharge the capacitors, and not have to react as fast to the peaks in the music.

Is this pure nonsense? Could it even degrade the sound?

I am building a couple of monoblocks using Hypex UCD2k Modules. Going to be used with a couple of big Subwoofers. At 4 ohms
We ordered the UCD power supply from Hypex as the larger SMPS is not available yet. SMPS does seem like a better way to go however.
Two questions. Were is a good place to buy a couple of transformers(in North America) similar to the specified units(for the UCD2k) at Hypex.nl?
The other question is about Redrocks Impulse 6060 SMPS.There seems to be allot of positive buzz about it on the net. Power Factor Correction being a highlight
Would that be adequate for a single UCD2k module?
Thanks
Dallas

Will be available soon, we also have a 3000W SMPS!

Jan-Peter

Hello again Jan-Peter

Any update on the expected release date of the SMPS 1200?
I noticed that the SMPS 400 has been re named in the shop as 180 and 400
I also noticed in this thread that the SMPS1200 could be used for the UCD 400. What will the advantages of that be? More headroom?

Regards

John

Hello again Jan-Peter

Any update on the expected release date of the SMPS 1200?
I noticed that the SMPS 400 has been re named in the shop as 180 and 400
I also noticed in this thread that the SMPS1200 could be used for the UCD 400. What will the advantages of that be? More headroom?

Regards

John

We will have soon a small batch available, count on 2-3 weeks for availability. The production volumes will take roughly still 2 months and we will have two version available, for the UcD400 and UcD700. The SMPS 1200 for the UcD400 is only if you like to drive many UcD400, i.e. 5-channel setup.... ;)

Indeed we have renamed the SMPS400, so that customers direct order the right version and are not only looking for the voltage.

Jan-Peter

Hi,all
I finally saw your new smps1200 seems Compact 1200W but looking for does not seem to match your carefully,big, UDC700. I think that audiophiles have come to expect a different SMPS, not just power. maybe I'm wrong.:)
regards

What's the problem with the SMPS1200? And why shouldn't it match with the UcD700??

An audiophile version of the SMPS1200 will not look much different, most likely only other brands capacitors. The trick for a good sounding SMPS is not that difficult, you need to start to have a low EMI...the other rules we will not disclose.....:cool:

Jan-Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.