Build a Hypex, SMPS or trafo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hifiking said:
I want to build a sub amp with a Hypex UcD700, but the hypex PSU, softstart and trafo is expensive.

Can I use a cheaper SMPS to replace all of those?

Regards Henning Sagen

Indeed they are expenisve, but we use 4x10.000uF 100V Slit Foil capacitors, these SF caps are not standard available in 100V... ;)

And the transformer will give you all voltages what you need. BTW we now have a full potted version transformer with electrostatic shielding between primary and secondary.

Quality has his price, we do not wants to deliver cheap products.

Cheers,

Jan-Peter

I am a supporter of one brand systems, but the 700 UcD PSU and transformer has 3x the price of the UcD400 PSU and trafo.

I am now going to bridge my two UcD400 modules, but whil this combo play higher than one (at a given volume)?

Why should I not do this? Is there any major drawbacks? This is for a sub.

hifiking said:
I am a supporter of one brand systems, but the 700 UcD PSU and transformer has 3x the price of the UcD400 PSU and trafo.

I am now going to bridge my two UcD400 modules, but whil this combo play higher than one (at a given volume)?

Why should I not do this? Is there any major drawbacks? This is for a sub.

Not completly correct, the HG supply cost EUR 165, the UcD 700 Supply cost EUR 225. You can compaire it with the standard power supply!

Thereby the power transformer of the UcD700 is 1300VA or the fully potted audiophile version is 700VA, these cost of course more as the standard 500VA transformer of the UcD400.

With a bridge UcD400 you will have 6dB more power, for a sub this is a cost effective solution. Don't forget to use the 47nF coupling capacitor between the two hot outputs of the bridge UcD400.

Cheers,

Jan-Peter

Henning: The 800VA audio transformer on ELFA is pretty decent. It's wound on Noratel's special audio core, and magnetically shielded. Not fully potted, but still easy to mount with two holes in the center potting. If you need different values, Noratel (www.ulveco.no) can make them without much of a price premium. I paid 1300 kr (+tax) for a 1300VA 2x42V trafo with an extra 15V/15VA secondary when I ordered two of them.

Thanks, I would like to have the best trafo for my amp, which is build of (soon):

2x UcD400ST
1x Softstart
2x PSU ST

How many VA, and max secondary V? Can I use over 42V for a better result? I now use one UcD400 and a 500VA (42-0-42), and it doesn't play as I expected. I moved from 200W to 400W, and there is much less fun. There is more punch, but less volume. So I am about to bridge 2x UcD400, but is the 500VA I have too smal?

Regards Henning

hifiking said:
In Norway a 700PSU cost 286 Euro, and the ST PSU cost 83 Euro. The 700VA is 165 Euro.

Thanks for your time Jan, I appreciate you taking time to help.

I can use a 47nf 1200V?

Regards Henning

You can't compaire the ST PSU with the 700PSU, the 700PSU use very expensive 10.000uF/100V Slit Foil capacitors and 4 pieces! Thereby the ST PSU is limited to maximum of 57VDC because the capacitors are rated for 63VDC. And the 700PSU has an auxaliery power supply for the buffer stage AND for the Vdr (drivers for the power fets).

A cap of 47nF 1200V would be fine!

Cheers,

Jan-Peter

hifiking said:
Thanks, I would like to have the best trafo for my amp, which is build of (soon):

2x UcD400ST
1x Softstart
2x PSU ST

How many VA, and max secondary V? Can I use over 42V for a better result? I now use one UcD400 and a 500VA (42-0-42), and it doesn't play as I expected. I moved from 200W to 400W, and there is much less fun. There is more punch, but less volume. So I am about to bridge 2x UcD400, but is the 500VA I have too smal?

Regards Henning

With our 500VA transformer (TR501A) we have around 800W in 4 ohm with two bridge UcD400.......;)

Jan-Peter

Sorry, Pierre, that's about €160. Don't know if they'll ship abroad, though.

I'd recommend sticking to 42V, so you can use 63V caps. They're cheaper and more readily available than their 80V and 100V counterparts. As long as its powerful (I'd say 2VA pr W), a 42V trafo will be more than loud enough on most speakers, and some say it'll sound smoother and more controlled on moderate levels.

Yes, Pierre.
With the SPS80 you could use the +12V aux supply for the driver stage of the UcD. We use it when we want to reduce the idle consumption of our BP4078 modules, that is normally 9.5W and drops to around 6W with this trick.
With 2 BP4078 modules and 1 SPS80 you can get 1100W+ at 4ohm with no problem. With SPS80HV and our soon to come module you will get 750W+ at 4 ohm. But that's off-topic, anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.