• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any possibility TPA might develop a HDMI input module for their DAC's? Perhaps with HDCP, 8 channel LPCM decoding, and Dolby HD or DTS HD decoding capabilities to feed the S/PDIF inputs.

I guess it would need to interface with the input configuration switches to tell the DAC to switch to 6 or 8 channel mode when HDMI is selected as an input.

Is there any possibility TPA might develop a HDMI input module for their DAC's? Perhaps with HDCP, 8 channel LPCM decoding, and Dolby HD or DTS HD decoding capabilities to feed the S/PDIF inputs.

I guess it would need to interface with the input configuration switches to tell the DAC to switch to 6 or 8 channel mode when HDMI is selected as an input.

No. It requires very expensive licensing fees. Actually, I am 99% sure they would not grant us a license, as preventing exposure of the high-bit-rate data is exactly why they encrypt it.

Dolby HD requires a license from Dolby Labs. (Apply for a Dolby Consumer or Professional License)

DTD HD requires a license from DTS. (Corporate | Press Releases, History, Management | DTS (Inc) and DTSI)

HDCP is definitely required, as the HDMI source encrypts the audio data, so if you want access to that, you need to license that as well. (Digital Content Protection)

Than, for HDMI in general, you have the $10,000 annual fee and a per unit fee. (HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Becoming an Adopter :: Terms)

Really, it's not like we haven't thought about it, or discussed it a thousand times.

We would really like to offer a full-bandwidth audio solution over HDMI, but it's not possible without obtaining some expensive licenses, then violating the agreements by exposing the high-bandwidth data.

Read Exhibit C, Section 3.3 here: http://www.digital-cp.com/files/sta...HDCP License Agreement0831_2011_clean _2_.pdf

Last edited:
Yikes! Well thanks for the info. I don't mean to go over old ground, I'm just sure there must be a way as it seems other small manufacturers are offering HDMI solutions.

It seems like these manufacturers aren't bothering with the licences or fees. I don't know how else they could sell their HDMI products so cheaply.

Hello guys,
Unfortunately I still can not start listening to music!
As I said I read from cover to cover the BIII DAC Integration Guide and have configured the system as I understand.
I used the following: 4-Channel S/Pdif-4input board*Sidecar*two BuffaloIII modules*one Legato 3* two Ventus HA*2-bit rotary switch*volume control.
1. I followed the instructions on page 21, "Sidecar and S/PDIF-4 input board integration", so I have not mounted JPCM1,JPCM2,JPCM3,JDSD1,JDSD2 on both BIII modules.
"Solder the 24-pin unshrouded header for the EXT_IO connector (EXT_IO, 12) in place. This allows you to connect the switch for the input selection of the S/PDIF-4 Input Board"(page 21)???? . More explanations here!
2. For dual mono I followed the instructions on page 23 step by step for both channel.
3. DIP switch setings:
SW1: 1 - off
2 - off
3 - off
4 - off
5 - off
6 - off
7 - off
8 - off

SW2: 1 - off
2 - off
3 - on
4 - off
5 - off
6 - off
7 - off
8 - on
These settings must be made on both BIII in dual mono? On right channel I remove the on-board firmware controller from the board, jumper on ADDR, jumper on R7!
"Only a DAC board with both the firmware controller and L5 in place and R7 not shorted will respond to the DIP switches"!!! page 23.
Can someone give me advice? Russ White, Brian Donegan, LeonvB,...?
Would have been ideal to do one diagram for BIII Dual mono one Legato!
Thank You!

Attachments

• DSCN1382.jpg
    DSCN1382.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN1384.jpg
    DSCN1384.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 445
Have you already tested the individual modules?

DIP settings are done on the board with the on-board firmware.

Dual mono with 1 I/V stage is not a standard configuration. I'm already at 52 pages covering just the basics, it's simply impossible to document everything you could do with the boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.