• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dustin on the radio

This is my first post, but I've been reading this thread since April.

Goto the Ess web site, www.esstech.com, to hear Dustin in a short radio interview. You can download the interview with Martin Mallinson and Dustin Forman discussing the Sabre chip.

I have to admit that I've have been lucky enough to get a demo of the Sabre DAC at ESS headquarters in Fremont CA. It was one of those things where words can't describe how amazing the DAC sounded. But the experience has stuck with me ever since.

We were hosted by Bob Blair, the President of ESS, and we spent 2 hours in their official demo room. We played a number of CDs that myself and a friend brought, I've never heard my disks sound so good. But when Bob played Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem....the sound was so amazing. It was like she was standing on a wide stage and I was just a few feet from her. The sound from the double bass is remarkably clear. Breathtaking.

At ESS they did an A/B comparison in real time of the music through the Sabre vs. another high-end DAC. The most obvious thing about the "sound" of the Sabre is that it lifts the fog and the fuzziness from the music. This distortion is the jitter that the Sabre chip eliminates. Ever since the demo, I distinctly hear the jitter distortion in every (non-Sabre) digital audio system I've listened to, it really is bothersome when you know what to listen for.

I've been into hi-end audio since the 80's, I've run the sound systems in performing art theaters, outdoor concerts, and live recording sessions. So I've heard a few good systems from time to time. (not bragging, just describing my audio experience)

At ESS, Bob showed us a comparison of the Sabre DAC against the two best DAC competitor chips available, performed by an independent consultant. In every chart, the Sabre was significantly better in comparison to the other DACs.

I have to say, anyone serious about sound and music has to get this DAC.

Ross G.

Re: hooking up a CD transport mechanism directly

schro20 said:
Is it possible to hook up a CD transport directly to the Buffalo board? I mean, not using spdif. Has anyone tried this? I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

Peter

Yes, if it has a standard I2S output with a 64fs bitclock.

If the bit clock is 32fs or 48fs you will need to reclock it to 64fs.

You can use something like the Metronome to reclock.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,

I think I read somewhere that you recommend 7-9 V for both the VDA and the VDC- is that correct? And do you think it is worth to upgrade the Ivy to Haiku (if it is an upgrade)?I must say I really like the the Buffalo, sounds really close to actual instruments and voices, very emotional, but I find the stage a little small, so if anyone can give an advice on how to try and improve things in that direction it will be much appreciated.

Nikola Krivorov said:
Hi Russ,

1) I think I read somewhere that you recommend 7-9 V for both the VDA and the VDC- is that correct?

2) And do you think it is worth to upgrade the Ivy to Haiku (if it is an upgrade)?

3)I must say I really like the the Buffalo, sounds really close to actual instruments and voices, very emotional, but I find the stage a little small, so if anyone can give an advice on how to try and improve things in that direction it will be much appreciated.

1) Correct. I use 7.5V at each.

2) I have actually shelved Haiku for now in favor of "Counterpoint" which is very similar, but more symmetrical, and it requires no coupling caps. I have yet to thoroughly test it. I am not sure its fair to call one or the other an upgrade. They are simply different. Different folks will like each better.

3) Thanks. :) I am not sure what advice to give here, almost everyone will have different setup down stream from the DAC which is very likely to impact your experience. You might try raising or lowering the corner frequency of the IVY filter. To raise the frequency lower the cap value, to lower the frequency raise the cap value, you can go all the way from no cap to around 12nf or so. There is a lot of room to tweak the sound to your liking.

Cheers!
Russ

wobbly said:
I have a CD PRO2 LF to run direct I2S into the buffalo, can you tell me if this is bitclock compatible @ 64fs, and secondly can I have some more practical info on implementing the digital vol , as i would like to do this as soon as the kit arrives.

cheers

I am not sure. Check the datasheet/documentation, or ask the person who sold it. I don't own one. The CDPro documentation I have seen shows 48fs bitclock.

As for volume control. We have a solution in the works, but its still a couple weeks out at best. If you can do any microcontroller programming I have already posted code to configure the DAC and control the volume.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Output Muting

Javin5 said:
Is there anything that needs to be done for muting outputs in the sabre kit? CD-players have output muting transistors or relays, which mute during turn-on, turn-off, track-skipping, etc. How is this done in seperate DAC's like the sabre?

As far I have experienced this is not required for the Buffalo.

It mutes when there is no signal.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,
I wil soon be one of the proud owners of the buffalo dac with ivy. I have a Denon 1920 into which I hope to install the dac. A couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

1) Do you have a manual for installing the dac into the denon?

2) Will the dac cope with whatever disc I put into the denon (DVD A, SCAD or CD)?

cheers

Aidan

Thanks for the pointers Russ but I must admitt straight up Im reaching a little on the tech comfort zone here.
Ive searched all over and can find no mention of the I2S clock of the CD PRO2 LF, but when I purchased it ( yes I have emailed Daisy) I also got a TentLabs XO3.
This replaces the internal clock of the CD PRO and can also can reclock the EBU/Spdiff ( not required using I2S).
As well it generates a stable clock for an "external DAC" thus at the end here my question is, can I disable the Buffalo on board clock and use this to commonise everything.

Thanks

wayne

This would be very, very cool:

- A digital X-over
- 2 or more Buffulos, which as well do the volume control and which basically work for all buffulos in sync
- And output stage which swings enough voltage to drive a PAss F4, so no further gain stages needed (I believe that needs in balanced mode ( I believe this requires 16v in balanced mode p-p)
- All balanced mode.

That would be simply a dream. How far are we away from that ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
...OK now i'm confused.

I see the forum every day,....for a few hours? that orders were open i was not here and have been registered on your site Russ, waiting for news, nada!
now you tell me there was a second batch that i didn't even see ?!

I can't even get in the pre-orders?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.