budget vs expensive tweeters

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
thanks, much appreciated :) (and the Peereless stac lstays ow budget, the mid is a SS 10F/8424GO that will playback like that if I don't sucess with a horn project for it!

I can predict from my taste the second picture will sounds better to me, at least with a hard dome.

Last edited:
@Zvu

I agree and I using a metal tweeter without ff, and replaced a cheaper (27TFFC) and a more expensive soft dome (SS Illuminator) tweeter.
However, earlier, I was told that ferrofluid should not be disadvantageous, because how detailed Dynaudio tweeters with ff are even at low volume and they are the best dome tweeters ever made and are also by soft material, not even hard.

Like i said, ferro fluid is not disadvanageous in some situations, in other it is. Or, shall i rephrase it, for me it is. The thing to take from all this is that no one can decide for you what you like to hear or how you should listen. I like the sound when i get rid of the thing and the difference is obvious to me. Someone will like it with FF and also will be able to recognise the same tweeter if the FF was out. Some don't hear the difference at all. Dynaudio tweeters are some of the best i've heard but i clean them from FF too. They don't sound bad with it but sound better to me without it.

Make your loudspeakers linear, then listen and voice it to get the sound you like keeping the linearity in mind. It must both measure and sound good.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
@Zvu

I agree and I using a metal tweeter without ff, and replaced a cheaper (27TFFC) and a more expensive soft dome (SS Illuminator) tweeter.
However, earlier, I was told that ferrofluid should not be disadvantageous, because how detailed Dynaudio tweeters with ff are even at low volume and they are the best dome tweeters ever made and are also by soft material, not even hard.

They maybe use a very fluid FF...

@Zvu : cleaned Dynaudios from FF remember me an old thread where Calvin (which is making esl speakers) made the same with them ! Their power handling is terrible, strong tweeters indeed, too bads they are second hand expensive or close like Morels so expensive too brand-new ! I'm ok with the op for cheap.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Can confirm : two pairs of FF refluided with unknown grade here ! Never again a FF at home (but if one gives me a Dynaudio I will clean as well :D)

Kef for instance was using for its T33 a very low viscosity : was not for the mechanical damping purpose for breaks up but only to help to the cooling... some eventually broke when the FF was dry btw because overheating !

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I haven't heard these yet but everyone that has seems to really like them...

SB26CDC-C000-4.

https://sbacoustics.com/product/sb26cdc-c000-4/

Better control than many metal only domes at this price point. If I were doing a new design for someone; I would most likely choose these as a good place to start. (Not for myself though; I must use much higher output Tweeters because I am in my mid 60's so I need all the help I can get in the top octave and a half)!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Well, I needed a fabric tweeter for an inexpensive swap for a friend refurbishing (never had so much friends' speakers since the new stay at home hype!).

So the Xover being around 2700 hz with same spl at 0.5 db circa. I purchased the SB Acoustic SB26 STAC advised by ScottG, that woolf_teeth, rabbitz liked too.

Both because the price and fabric dome needed for this project and personal wisch to test it after the inputs. One stone two birds , 60 euros for a pair tied on the stone.

Thank you gentlemen for the good advice. I like it and the price triggered the purchasing decision. I don't have your extended experience, but for the price, it sounds high end to me and much better than some more few expensive tweeters I have the memory yet.

I beleieve I am to trigger on SB26-CDC for myself and a 3.5 kHz XO project that should spl match with a mid. Good news we still can have pleasure for not too much and also refurbisch speakers with not too much financial risk. :). I didn't spent times on measurment as free air is complicate for the moment where I live and also because at first estimation it's not necessary, I don't hear concistency mismatch at testing them right now, despite the low price.

I believe for the tweakers it's an easy unt to tweak : damping is made from a circular foam, empty in the midlle as it's the center towards the damping back chamber. easy to put some fabric, coton there to play with the curve if one want.

cheers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The Peerless32TWXwhile being still cheap is almost twice the price here vs the cheapest of the short list.
When you say CAC you mean the SB26CDC (aluminium ceramic coated?) ?

In this price range I assume the choice can be ruled by the XO and the sensibility needed in the design. Question : Have we an interest to try to avoid a serie resistor to keep the best of such tweeter as Tony Gee from HumbleHomeMadeHifi acheive in some of his designs, please ?

Too bad all these brands don't provide the files on their websites to permitt simulation! Raw I can say a recess in the 2.5 k hz 4 khz is what I like but when in a XO, according the cut off I can't predict without measurements. That's very nice and kind some provides .crw & .txt files for the softs that use it like Xsim or Vituix...

For the few that had the luck to test both the SB CDC and the Peerless XT32, what would be your choice ? close spl, though not same Z.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The Peerless32TWXwhile being still cheap is almost twice the price here vs the cheapest of the short list.

In this price range I assume the choice can be ruled by the XO and the sensibility needed in the design. Question : Have we an interest to try to avoid a serie resistor to keep the best of such tweeter as Tony Gee from HumbleHomeMadeHifi acheive in some of his designs, please ?

Too bad all these brands don't provide the files on their websites to permitt simulation! Raw I can say a recess in the 2.5 k hz 4 khz is what I like but when in a XO, according the cut off I can't predict without measurements. That's very nice and kind some provides .crw & .txt files for the softs that use it like Xsim or Vituix...

For the few that had the luck to test both the SB CDC and the Peerless XT32, what would be your choice ? close spl, though not same Z.

do you mean these peerless/tymphany models?

Tymphany – The art and science of sound engineering[]=51766&compare[]=51781

and this SB?

Well, the SB website won't open right now. I'm guessing the SB is better behaved because it doesn't have the huge break-up like the Peerless's do. Even an out of band break up can cause issues in the usable band; NOT always though!??

Maybe some other people on here have tried both before and made direct comparisons? I like 3rd party testing and measurements; sometimes the initial OEM data is not as accurate or needs updates, etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
yeah I see it's down, that's how it happens when your site is not https but http made !

I talk about the last textrene Peereless Zvu was talking about and that is ok on the datasheet though I don't need low XO. Textrene has like the ADC and the CDC a resonance above 20 k so I surmise I can not hear, eventually my dog can and maybe a diving curve is better for doggy...
The Textrene is nearer the spl I need at 3.5 K.
The CDC is this one http://www.compacbel.be/informations_htm_files/SB26CDC-C000-4.pdf

Yes I too like better diyaudio members personal opinion when they heard two units

Last edited:

Yes I apologize, I meant the CDC.

For peerless, I meant these two tweeters:

Driver Evaluations for a new project - Page 7

Peerless DA32TX00-08 1-1/4" Corundum Dome Tweeter

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yes I apologize, I meant the CDC.

For peerless, I meant these two tweeters:

Driver Evaluations for a new project - Page 7

Peerless DA32TX00-08 1-1/4" Corundum Dome Tweeter

Yes, our dogs would hate that high frequency break up peak for sure! My point was; I have read and even experienced some for myself that these can and do affect the sound further down in frequency that we humans can hear. I'm not sure exactly what happens but if for whatever reason that break up frequency gets excited; the ringing effect transmits through the dome material and causes audible distortion in "OUR" desired listening band. I'll try to read up on this later...