Bryston 4B SST clone

No, I have purchased boards but now Iwork on several other projects (*) and build DIY housings for my amplifiers.
(hifi four chanel amp based on STK 4042XI ICs, 22W JLH 2005, chazis for Krell KSA-50 Mk. II, Accuphase A60, Linkwitz-Rilley active crossover... etc... Lots of fun)
Merhaba sevgili arkadaşım
Hello my friend, yes it is very fun, I have a power transistor deficiency for 4b stt. I recovered my Goldmund clone, I'm missing a mosfet.
IMG_20220920_164536.jpg
20220918_170401.jpg
IMG_20220920_164447.jpg

I'm missing a mosfet
Ah, MPS92. You can get it from both Reichelt and Farnel, but Reichelt sells CDIL and Farnell sells their own brand "Multicomp pro". I suspect that they are from similar source. I have tested CDIL transistors with curve tracer and I have found that they are good. Also, in a circuit I have measured decent noise flor. There is nothing to loose, they cost pennies, just transportation cost may be high.
Have a pleasant week end.

Ah, MPS92. You can get it from both Reichelt and Farnel, but Reichelt sells CDIL and Farnell sells their own brand "Multicomp pro". I suspect that they are from similar source. I have tested CDIL transistors with curve tracer and I have found that they are good. Also, in a circuit I have measured decent noise flor. There is nothing to loose, they cost pennies, just transportation cost may be high.
Have a pleasant week end.
ONSEMI mpsa92/42 is original in the country I am in, there is an oscillation problem, I want to use a different transistor in these goldmunds

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I recently came into possession of a whole load of Bryston amps, they're branded Sonics and came out of an IMAX cinema. There are a lot of amps, configured as 800x and 600x. The 800 was set up as a mono stereo amp, kind of like a 7b, the 600x is set up as stereo, but one of the channels is actually 2 modules bridged, so 2 channel but one channel is double the power of the other. They had custom input boards, with eq, delay, crossover etc, but sadly the amps had the input boards removed before I got them. I'm trying to restore them to usable condition with input stages. I wish to set up one 800x for bridge mono sub duties. I've found 2 solutions, I either buy the small DOA33 board, or the fully complete Rev 3 Bryston Clone input board on Aliexpress. The problem I have is that the fully completed board comes out to around £70. The DOA33 however is only £30. My question is, can the DOA33 board be set up for a balanced input. To configure it as bridged mono, I need to send the output of one side of the op amp into the inverting input of the other. But the board does not allow that. From looking at the schematic it seems that the inverting input is tied to ground. I am wondering if I disconnected the 1k to ground, I can then use both the inverting and non inverting inputs. For balanced and for bridged purposes. If this doesnt work then I'll have to get the fully completed board with the bridge and balance switches already installed, but I have a lot of these amps so that will start to get expensive.
Some pics of the amp
IMG_9545 copy.jpg

IMG_9524 copy.jpg

IMG_9525 copy.jpg

IMG_9526 copy.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I recently came into possession of a whole load of Bryston amps, they're branded Sonics and came out of an IMAX cinema. There are a lot of amps, configured as 800x and 600x. The 800 was set up as a mono stereo amp, kind of like a 7b, the 600x is set up as stereo, but one of the channels is actually 2 modules bridged, so 2 channel but one channel is double the power of the other. They had custom input boards, with eq, delay, crossover etc, but sadly the amps had the input boards removed before I got them. I'm trying to restore them to usable condition with input stages. I wish to set up one 800x for bridge mono sub duties. I've found 2 solutions, I either buy the small DOA33 board, or the fully complete Rev 3 Bryston Clone input board on Aliexpress. The problem I have is that the fully completed board comes out to around £70. The DOA33 however is only £30. My question is, can the DOA33 board be set up for a balanced input. To configure it as bridged mono, I need to send the output of one side of the op amp into the inverting input of the other. But the board does not allow that. From looking at the schematic it seems that the inverting input is tied to ground. I am wondering if I disconnected the 1k to ground, I can then use both the inverting and non inverting inputs. For balanced and for bridged purposes. If this doesnt work then I'll have to get the fully completed board with the bridge and balance switches already installed, but I have a lot of these amps so that will start to get expensive.
Some pics of the amp
View attachment 1094356
View attachment 1094355
View attachment 1094357
View attachment 1094358
Which doa33 circuit did you get

Burada birinin bana yardım edip edemeyeceğini merak ediyorum. Geçenlerde bir sürü Bryston amfisine sahip oldum, bunlar Sonics markalı ve bir IMAX sinemasından çıktı. 800x ve 600x olarak yapılandırılmış çok sayıda amfi var. 800, bir tür 7b gibi bir mono stereo amfi olarak kuruldu, 600x stereo olarak kuruldu, ancak kanallardan biri aslında 2 modül köprülü, yani 2 kanal ama bir kanal diğerinin iki katı gücünde. Eq, gecikme, crossover vb. ile özel giriş kartları vardı, ancak ne yazık ki amfiler, onları almadan önce giriş kartlarını çıkarmıştı. Onları giriş aşamalarıyla kullanılabilir duruma getirmeye çalışıyorum. Köprü mono alt görevleri için bir adet 800x kurmak istiyorum. 2 çözüm buldum, ya küçük DOA33 kartını ya da Aliexpress'deki tam eksiksiz Rev 3 Bryston Klon giriş kartını satın alıyorum. Sahip olduğum sorun, tamamen tamamlanmış tahtanın yaklaşık 70 sterline çıkması. Ancak DOA33 sadece 30 £. Sorum şu, DOA33 kartı dengeli bir giriş için kurulabilir mi? Köprülü mono olarak yapılandırmak için, op amp'in bir tarafının çıkışını diğerinin ters girişine göndermem gerekiyor. Ama kurul buna izin vermiyor. Şemaya bakıldığında, ters çevirme girişinin toprağa bağlı olduğu görülüyor. 1k'yi toprağa bağlayıp kesmediğimi merak ediyorum, daha sonra hem ters çeviren hem de ters çevirmeyen girişleri kullanabilirim. Dengeli ve köprülü amaçlar için. Bu işe yaramazsa, o zaman köprü ve denge anahtarları zaten kurulu olan tam olarak tamamlanmış bir anakart almam gerekecek, ancak bu amfilerden çok fazla var, bu yüzden pahalı olmaya başlayacak. DOA33 kartı dengeli bir giriş için ayarlanabilir mi? Köprülü mono olarak yapılandırmak için, op amp'in bir tarafının çıkışını diğerinin ters girişine göndermem gerekiyor. Ama kurul buna izin vermiyor. Şemaya bakıldığında, ters çevirme girişinin toprağa bağlı olduğu görülüyor. 1k'yi toprağa bağlayıp kesmediğimi merak ediyorum, daha sonra hem ters çeviren hem de ters çevirmeyen girişleri kullanabilirim. Dengeli ve köprülü amaçlar için. Bu işe yaramazsa, o zaman köprü ve denge anahtarları zaten kurulu olan tam olarak tamamlanmış bir anakart almam gerekecek, ancak bu amfilerden çok fazla var, bu yüzden pahalı olmaya başlayacak. DOA33 kartı dengeli bir giriş için ayarlanabilir mi? Köprülü mono olarak yapılandırmak için, op amp'in bir tarafının çıkışını diğerinin ters girişine göndermem gerekiyor. Ama kurul buna izin vermiyor. Şemaya bakıldığında, ters çevirme girişinin toprağa bağlı olduğu görülüyor. 1k'yi toprağa bağlayıp kesmediğimi merak ediyorum, daha sonra hem ters çeviren hem de ters çevirmeyen girişleri kullanabilirim. Dengeli ve köprülü amaçlar için. Bu işe yaramazsa, o zaman köprü ve denge anahtarları zaten kurulu olan tam olarak tamamlanmış bir anakart almam gerekecek, ancak bu amfilerden çok fazla var, bu yüzden pahalı olmaya başlayacak. Şemaya bakıldığında, ters çevirme girişinin toprağa bağlı olduğu görülüyor. 1k'yi toprağa bağlayıp kesmediğimi merak ediyorum, daha sonra hem ters çeviren hem de ters çevirmeyen girişleri kullanabilirim. Dengeli ve köprülü amaçlar için. Bu işe yaramazsa, o zaman köprü ve denge anahtarları zaten kurulu olan tam olarak tamamlanmış bir anakart almam gerekecek, ancak bu amfilerden çok fazla var, bu yüzden pahalı olmaya başlayacak. Şemaya bakıldığında, ters çevirme girişinin toprağa bağlı olduğu görülüyor. 1k'yi toprağa bağlayıp kesmediğimi merak ediyorum, daha sonra hem ters çeviren hem de ters çevirmeyen girişleri kullanabilirim. Dengeli ve köprülü amaçlar için. Bu işe yaramazsa, o zaman köprü ve denge anahtarları zaten kurulu olan tam olarak tamamlanmış bir anakart almam gerekecek, ancak bu amfilerden çok fazla var, bu yüzden pahalı olmaya başlayacak.
Amfinin bazı resimleri
View attachment 1094356
Some pics of the amp
View attachment 1094356
View attachment 1094355
View attachment 1094357
View attachment 1094358

View attachment 1094355
View attachment 1094357
View attachment 1094358

Attachments

• IMG_9526 copy.jpg
    IMG_9526 copy.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 50
Some pics of the amp
View attachment 1094356
View attachment 1094355
View attachment 1094357
View attachment 1094358
Very similar to the bryston 3 sst circuit you have
IMG_9526 copy.jpg
lq5p56ii1mdi.jpg

I haven't got any boards yet, I can't decide between these 2. If I can bridge the DOA33 then I'll go for that, but I'm not sure its possible.
The modules say 7B on the PCB, there are extra sets of output transistors connected to the board so they will be more powerful than the 3b. The Transformers are also huge, they were driving 2 x 12 inch bass drivers per channel when installed in the IMAX

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003657685410.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003700885396.html

I haven't got any boards yet, I can't decide between these 2. If I can bridge the DOA33 then I'll go for that, but I'm not sure its possible.
The modules say 7B on the PCB, there are extra sets of output transistors connected to the board so they will be more powerful than the 3b. The Transformers are also huge, they were driving 2 x 12 inch bass drivers per channel when installed in the IMAX

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003657685410.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003700885396.html
I realized later that there are extra output transistors connected to the board,

Another Bryston 4B SST board

There appears to be another board on aliexpress called "Refer to Bryston 4B SST", but this board does not look like the ones that people in this thread are building.

Anyone have comments/insights onto this board? Hi, i'm just want to buy this board instead the other on because i had a old 4B(the old pcb are not good anymore) and this board fit in the casing better than the other one, because that included the filter section and diode. So i'm just want to know if is good or not compare to the other pcb. Thanks.

28b Build

I have just built the 28b clone which works well, but I do have a question regarding the biasing.

I have had the amp on the bench with no input or output connected, whilst checking the bias and dc offset. The dc offset seems stable and fluctuates around + or - 2mV so all seems good there. The bias creeps up over a long period of time, it stayed at around 23mV across R45 for a couple of hours. I then left the amp alone for a further few hours and when I returned it was sitting around 45mV and was obviously quite warm.
The question I have is do I tweak this down after leaving it on for a number of hours or is it likely to go through a cycle of up and down and I just missed it going back down?

Any help would be much appreciated!

What I've done is to fix the vas current(s) directly by making the vas part of a current mirror. If you look at my circuit diagram you'll see that the bases of the vas transistors are each joined to the base of an identical, but diode connected, transistor with a degeneration resistor equal to that of the vas. The 2.7k resistor joining the collectors of these diode connected transistors ensures that 10mA flows through each of them. Because the bases of the diode connected transistors are at the same potential as the vas bases then the same current ( 10mA ) must flow through both of them. A classic current mirror. The vas current defined in this way is much more precisely fixed than by the method you used in your simulations, it doesn't slug the input ltp pairs with a differential resistor load, it allows greater freedom of component choice, uses fewer parts, and the vas is naturally current limited. As I showed you previously this technique has been used in several very successful amplifier designs - what's not to like?

Thanks chalky for sharing the solution to the symmetrical IPS with mirror. I found the Stochino design that you mentioned, that uses it: https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wireless-World/90s/Electronics-World-1997-04.pdf

28b Build

I have just built the 28b clone which works well, but I do have a question regarding the biasing.

I have had the amp on the bench with no input or output connected, whilst checking the bias and dc offset. The dc offset seems stable and fluctuates around + or - 2mV so all seems good there. The bias creeps up over a long period of time, it stayed at around 23mV across R45 for a couple of hours. I then left the amp alone for a further few hours and when I returned it was sitting around 45mV and was obviously quite warm.
The question I have is do I tweak this down after leaving it on for a number of hours or is it likely to go through a cycle of up and down and I just missed it going back down?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Install Q8 back to the heat sink will solve this problem.

20230316162049.png
20230316165034.jpg